main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Darth_Zandalor, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaRonin

DaRonin Jedi Master star 1

Jan 3, 2005
    To paraphrase one of my favorite final fantasy VIII reviews on the internet, sometimes, the only makes us (fans) grumble more than not getting what we want, is getting it.

all the complaints I see on the net are as follows in number of mentions

#1 too short
    #2 story is lackluster
    #3 game is not a battlefront, jedi knight, kotor, x-wing title.

personally, I would respect these critics more if they just flat out said "game was no fun for me." I've always believed if you want a solid story, read a bloody book, not play a video game. if you want a long gaming experience, play an rpg. Action games are by their very nature, over quickly. just some quicker than others. I can accept this.

I had a lot of fun with FUII, the combat engine is tightened up, mind trick never gets old, I like the fact enemies require some actual thought rather than just spamming force lightning most of the time. Boss battles were great, one of the few genuine complaints I agree with is that the environments just were not as interesting and varied. its like the team spent so much time developing varied enemies and how starkiller would fight them that they didn't have time to focus on the environments like before.

Overall, I liked FUII, the reason I liked it is I accept it for what it is, it's not meant to be war and peace. its not meant to be final fantasy, its not meant to be battlefront or the next jedi knight. its a different franchise with its own appeal, and the game, while having flaws (and what game doesn't) was still very fun.

Oh, and I will say that it is arguably just as long as the ps2 metal gear solids, the ds castlevania's, or even contra 4. the length isn't that bad, and the gameplay is fun. I'd give the game an 8.5/10

2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    All I have to say is, why did they run the snowflake-commercial when the planet isn't even in the game?
    [face_thinking]

That is beyond shady, if you ask me.

3. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
    Wow seriously. Everyone in advertising does that. ;)

Also I still don't have the game. My friend however has played it. And to quote what he said:

"Completed TFU II yesterday at like 10pm, I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. The levels are MUCH better. The only down-side is the weird plot, but other than that I found it much better than the first game. "

4. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    For those of you living in the vicinity of a Redbox, I'd think that a $2/day rental from Redbox might be a good bet (once Redbox gets the game) if it's only a 5 hour campaign.

5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    This is news to me. After further research, I see that Redbox's video game campaign is currently still in its test phase, and unfortunately there aren't any in my area of Pennsylvania yet. I'll keep an eye out as I'd love to rent this game. No way I'm dropping $60 after the review in this thread and on other sites. Also, I need to finish the first one. :D

For Immediate Release: October 13, 2010

OAKBROOK TERRACE, Ill. ? Redbox announced today it will expand its video game rental test this month to include additional markets in the West, Midwest and Atlantic coast. The addition of video games to the popular redbox kiosks is part of an ongoing test designed to gauge consumer interest in video game rentals. Redbox began testing the concept of renting video games in August 2009.

6. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Redbox doesn't rent games in my neck of the woods either. Same thing about Gamefly, they won't ship outside the bloody continental US of frakkin' A.

It sucks sometimes (well, most of the time) to live in the Third World. [face_frustrated]

7. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I'm a little surprised that they did not include some sort of lightsaber wall-climb/descent. This game feels like SW meets GoW and the free falls were overused at least one too many times. Once would have been plenty, and two tolerable... anything more than that is overkill. Just sayin.

8. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    well i guess i can at least rent it from gamefly

9. Shadow_Skywalker_226

Shadow_Skywalker_226 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2010
    I'm all for the gameplay elements of the God of War games as I played all 3 and loved every bit of them, but I don't think lightsaber wall climbing would work. Wouldn't lightsabers being beams of super heated plasma erode away and if not outright disintegrate the surface it is clinging to and cause Starkiller to fall down the wall? The physics behind it wouldn't work well I don't reckon.

10. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Much like a sword going through a pirate sail for a quick decend from above, has anything like that ever been done in a Star Wars game (replace sword with lightsaber and replace sail with thin metal surface) ?

11. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    We are talkin' about non-existant cohesive energy swords, ya know. Who knows what physics are involved there? And loathe as I am to mention wretched PT stuff here, didn't Qui-Gon had to work a bit when cutting that circular hole leading to Gunray's bridge on TPM? It seems, depending the material they gotta cut through, lightsabers have to deal with some resistance. Perhaps using a lightsaber against a wall to break a fall will considerably cut down on the momentum, at the very least.

12. zac_the_ripper

zac_the_ripper Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2004
    Giant Bomb's Quick Look of the game has kinda tempted me to try this out. It looks fun at least.

13. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    Didn't Anakin do something similar to that in the Clone Wars series?

14. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I'm not a big videogamer, [face_beatup] , so I only have a Wii and DS. So how are these games? Is the Wii version more interactive? Is the DS version like the original?

15. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    That's what I was aiming for. After watching Kratos plunge his metal blades into just about every surface, I'm a bit on the salty side about not getting the chance to at least slide down a wall with my lightsabers leaving dual glow-trails.:p

Also don't like the fact that there are no "level-stats" after completion.
    I mean, its important to know I whacked Kota 84 times the first go-round and that I found every holocron.:p Now, I have to play through the entire Salvation level, because I've done the others and can't find any more of them elsewhere. And can someone tell me how to beat the cylinder-busting challenge? I had a nightmare of a time with the vase-buster on GoW, and this one is even MORE frustrating than that. Love the Jedi armor, BTW...

16. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Rogue Squadron 3: Rebel Strike was released a few years ago for the GCN. If this blogsite is accurate, a Rogue Squadron related project (4 or rumored compilation) is already completed and Lucasarts is sitting on it.

I haven't found any reviews for the Wii/DS version of TFU2 yet. I am curious to know what the differences are compared to the 'HD' versions and how Red Fly Studios version compares to Krome's version of the original. N-Space is probably doing the DS version so expect something similar but upgraded from the first one.

17. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Game was allright but far too short[face_worried] and ending was horrible- it makes no sense with Original Trilogy or anything... rebels technically won a battle before their "first victory" mentioned in the opening crawl of the ANH8-} Vader is captured before his appearance in OT... of course boba supposedly saves him or something.... none of the major characters dies if lightside ending is canon.... so it really makes no sense...:_| buhuu i want my money back if they are going to end games like that. This was half a game not a full one -never... story was not completed... trailers created wrong picture of the game- Yoda did nothing... Boba didn't do much anything either... i loved the Cato Neimoidia level though... but it was only good level in game... Kamino was jumping from platform to another and killing guys over and over again.... Salvation levels were far too long they were just running inside corridors and killing bad guys- if there would have been one planet more it would have saved the game....

18. DarthKrayt

DarthKrayt Jedi Knight

Sep 19, 2007
    I enjoyed this game. good play and exciting. The story was simple but effective, I'm not looking for a novel when I play a video game. The portrayal of Vader was great as was the cut scene dialogue.

I didn't like the camera work, the view didn't usually move with the character and it required constant recentering.

But my biggest gripe was the length. Far too short for $60. It really seemed like a 1/2 game.

The ending leaves alot of questions for TFU 3. With dual endings, are we going to see TFU 3 split in darkside or lightside? It's not a bad idea. However, the lightside version has more loose ends to wrap up, Vader being captured and Boba Fett going after starkiller. Since the "good" starkiller dies in the darkside version, I'm not sure what Boba's role would be. If I had to pick one I would say the lightside will be canon. I hope it's not because darkside starkiller looks completely badass.

However, I can't shake the feeling that the original vision for FU2 was split in half and is now being sold as TFU 2 and 3, assuming there will be a 3. Just another way to milk the cow

19. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    [image=http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/SithStarSlayer/Maulkiller_face.jpg]
    [image=http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/SithStarSlayer/Jedi_armor.jpg]
    [image=http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/SithStarSlayer/MaulKiller.jpg]

20. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Unfortunately production of TFU3 has been cancelled- this game really felt like a teaser for TFU3- or demo or something- it ended very strangely- and now it will never be completed[face_worried] dark side ending would be easier to tie up with OT- they only need to kill that bad starkiller somehow- is it just me or do this cancelling of the game actually tell us that George Lucas want to show starkiller's destiny in his live-action series- i've heard those rumours of Sam Witwer being casted to be actor in the series... whenever it comes out....

21. DarthKrayt

DarthKrayt Jedi Knight

Sep 19, 2007
    completely agree.

it would be cool to see darkside starkiller in the live action series. One of the things I did hear about it was that it will take place during the early rebellion era but will not have any of the big name characters. While I don't think starkiller is a big name, I'm not sure if his continuing story can be told without including vader. It's a good dream but I always dreamed that episode 1 would be made and look how that turned out.

It would seem to me that if this was the plan at LFL, they would have held the release date of FU2 until just before the debut of the LAS. Market it as a prequel to the series. Everyone would be happy then.

The way it ended, the lack of a follow-up game and the unknown fate of the LAS leaves me completely confused.

22. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    Lol you and your rumors. Here's a little thing for you. TFU3 has never been cancelled because it has never offically been started. While the rumors are that TFU3 will not be made. If TFU2 does well enough it would be an idiot of a president who didn't commission another game.

Also it is unlikely that Starkiller will be in the live action series as George has said that the series will not involve Jedi.

23. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    So I just finished the game and Lord Almighty that last boss fight really sucked! It wasn't hard, just long and boring and stupid.

As for the rest of the game, combat was, as always, super fun. Nothing better than crispifying Stormtroopers with lightning :)

The story was... meh. Clearly they were intending to set up TFU3 and unfortunately that leaves us with some pretty big unanswered questions. I feel... unsatisfied with the ending. I didn't really feel like that with the first game.

I really wish we had had more locations too. Kamino, Cato Nemoidia, Dagobah (sort of), and the Salvation. Of those four Cato Nemoidia was the most stunning. Dagobah probably shouldn't even count since you don't really do anything there other than walk to the cave.

The game was far too short. I beat it in less than a day :(

24. Dougie_Five

Dougie_Five Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 6, 2003
    #1 is a legitimate concern for a full-price release (this game was shorter that episodic releases like Half Life Episodes 1 and 2).
    #2 is a legitimate concern when the strength of the first game (arguably making up for its very repetitive gameplay) was the story.
    #3 is a legitimate concern because it illustrates how good a Star Wars game can be when it's done right.

Even if you compare it to the first game, it's probably 2/3rds the length, and half as diverse. When you consider a major criticism of the first game was its lack of replayability, it is utterly undeserving of a decent review score given its retail price, and only the most myopic and delusional fan would think differently, in my opinion.

25. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    ...or the fans who have their parents buying their games for them :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.