Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Discussion in 'Games' started by Darth_Zandalor, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthVengeant Force Ghost

star 3
    My honest review posted over at Gamespot: Gamespot link

The next line of disappointments from Lucas Arts, that being The Force Unleashed 2, was released yesterday. Lucas Arts just lost the last shred of it's once earned glory left on this one.

As big of a Star Wars fan that I am, I cannot recommend this game, not at full price anyway. That alone should tell you all something. 4-6 hours of game play for 60 dollars? No. Not any game is worth that price tag for what is contained in The Force Unleashed 2. There are "9 levels", but in reality that is only 3. They get away with doing this deceit by breaking up areas of a planet/location into 3 or 4 "levels". I use the word deceit because all the hype, commercials, and fancy webpage design would lead one to believe this is one heck of an epic game. People, It is not. If anyone wants to know about advertisement gone awry, look no further than The Force Unleashed 2. They seem to have spent more money on the advertisement and build up hype than they did on the actual game itself. I am also wondering why the wonderfully done CG movies, such as "Betrayal", that promoted the game are not extras. You would think after the money they spent on them they would at least put them on the disk.

Let's start with some positive. Yes, it does in indeed have a few select fun moments, some good cut scenes, thought in my opinion they were rendered in lower quality then they should have been. I say this playing on a Samsung 1080p 36" with full HDMI. It does have beautiful graphics. The environments are very beautiful actually. However, you can put make-up on a pig and it is still a pig underneath. The control flaws from the first one were cleaned up, somewhat. I still slid off things or fell to my death because of them.

Another positive. For those who played and beat The Force Unleashed, you are given a bit of a treasure. The game checks your save file and unlocks costumes for play in The Force Unleashed 2. Interesting to say the least.

The combat is far more repetitive than the first game. There are less enemy types here. They get away with this by making each enemy have a specific strategy needed in order to kill them. I found myself trying to be creative in the way I killed enemies because I needed some entertainment. I found myself only wanting to get to the next checkpoint in hopes to find something new to do. There are a total of three boss fights, and two or three mini-bosses. Depending on your definition of "boss". The boss battle for the Gorog was at least creative, but went on far too long for my tastes. I felt like I was playing God of War 3 during his boss fight.

The rest of the game as a whole is not even close to worth 60 dollars. The story is lackluster, if not terrible, and half as good as the one in the first game. At least in the first game you went on a personal quest and had a story arch. That is gone here. I never really felt much of anything for Starkiller in this game as I did in the first game. In the ending you are left scratching your head wondering where the rest of the game went. His journey just seems rushed and slapped together simply for making a sequel, like most everything else in this game.

The "icing on the cake" that they tried to implement here is done in what is called Challenges. There are various things one has to do in short amounts of time, but they are not apart of the game. Again, God of War comes to mind here. Frankly, they seem tacked on to try and again make up for the games flaws. Another annoyance is that these Challenges have Achievement/Trophy's attached to them. Something I am not to fancy on when trying to get 100% completion. I would rather those things be left to the main game. But, that is a personal preference. Speaking of which, I had already acquired 16 Achievements after only two hours of play.

In the end anyone who thinks this game is real quality, let alone worthy of the Star Wars name, probably thought that Sup
  2. MercenaryAce Force Ghost

star 5
    Ok, what about your dishonest review though? :p
  3. JasperMereel_ Jedi Knight

star 2
    Oh so I guess I am an idiot for buying the collector's edition and don't want to be wowed huh? That I wasted my money huh? Talk about flawed logic. Tough, I will give it you that improvement needs to be done.
  4. zacparis VIP

star 7
    Quick question: if you change your costume or lightsabre colour, does it show in the cutscenes? That was one thing that bummed me out in the first one, spending all that time customising your character only for it to disappear in the cinematics.
  5. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    I'd wager, No. These custscenes are usually pre-rendered with a different engine, which can't account for whatever you do to your PC on the game itself. Therefore, no Maulkiller custscenes for you.

At least on every custcene of Reach your Spartan looks however you've customize on the armory, since every cutscene runs on the game's engine. That's a nice bit of inmersion right there. If you've drabbed him (or her) in shocking pink armor with the ugliest helmet imaginable, that's how it'll look even up to his/her dying breath.
  6. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
  7. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Costume will show in mid-level cutscenes, but the level-spanning ones have the pre-rendered outfit on.
    Guess my comment about SW meets GoW was spot-on....
    :p

So glad I canceled the collector's edition pre-order and downgraded to the regular game.
    Saved $22 bucks.:p
  8. fire_medic29 Jedi Padawan

I thought the graphics were great and the music score was good. Overall I thought the game lacked a lot as far as content and controls. the first TFU was a lot better in my opinion. This game was hyped up and cost a lot of money, and Id be willing to wager that they will try to sell us all add-ons (like they did with TFU 1) for 10 bucks a pop. No thanks!
  9. Darth-Vassago Force Ghost

star 5
    Considering the quality of the DLC for the last game, no thanks. No thanks at all.
  10. zacparis VIP

star 7
    Finally bought it yesterday, and it's pretty fun so far. In the end it's just the same as the first; a mindless, destructive playground with Star Wars music. I just set it to easy and it's a blast. I love the level design, massive environments that make no sense whatsoever, that's what I love about Star Wars. [face_laugh]
  11. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    For those that played the game, does the blue lightsaber blade look a shade brighter than the first game? I saw the youtbe video and noticed it had tinges of aqua for both the game play and the cinematic. Now is that for the x-box 360/play station 3 or just the pc or all three of them. Let me know.
  12. zacparis VIP

star 7
    They're all different shades. I've got a blue and green one so pale they look almost white.
  13. DarthVengeant Force Ghost

star 3
    And seeing the new info released on DLC for TFU2, Lucas Arts can kiss my a**. I am NOT paying for DLC after I paid 60 dollars for what is essentially half a bloody game. Flat out NO.
  14. majorlynch Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well its official, the Force Unleashed 2 DLC is ALREADY ON THE DISC.
    For PC's users anyway.

Heres the article

"Several modders have found files in the PC version of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II that hint at future DLC for the game. The new downloadable content will include a new level, enemies, challenges, costumes and lightsaber crystals. You can check out the details below:

?Endor level. Evil Starkiller turns up in the Rogue Shadow 2 (Starkiller?s ship).
    ?Fight Ewoks, Leia, Han, Chewie and an AT-AT.
    ?3 types of Ewoks ? rocks & slings, spears and gliders
    ?3 new challenges
    ?2 new costumes including Darth Maul
    ?2 new saber crystals, yellow and silver
    All of this sounds pretty good, but there is a downside. All of this ?downloadable? content is already on the disc. Once the content is released, you will be paying for a small file to unlock this content. I wondered why I beat the game in only four and a half hours - that?s where the rest of the game went. Maybe Lucas Arts can redeem itself and give us the extra content for free with an update ? fat chance."

Heres the links
    FU2 DLC details

FU2 DLC thread
    Thanks for making the game artificially short so you could milk us Lucasarts!!!!

Unleash DLC!!!
  15. Darth-Vassago Force Ghost

star 5
    I doubt it. The DLC is probably 30 minus, tops. Just like all three of the last expansions.
  16. DarthVengeant Force Ghost

star 3
    Like I said previously, Lucas Arts can kiss my a**. I paid for pretty much half a game, 5 hours with some horrible tacked on "Challenges", and they actually expect me to PAY for DLC? Not going to happen. I flat out refuse it.
  17. fistofan1 Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't have the game yet, I'm waiting until the price goes down and getting it for the Wii, but from what I hear the game is a real ripoff. Seriously, 7 levels?! I'm not even that into gaming, and I know that is WAY TO SHORT!

I get the feeling Lucasarts isn't doing too well. They aren't putting out nearly as many games as they used to and the quality seems to be falling dramatically. Not to mention the myriad layoffs and cancellation of TFUIII.
  18. Darth_Zandalor Force Ghost

star 4
    Paying ten dollars for half an hour of gameplay is ridiculous. The way the game is priced out, it is currently ten dollars per hour of game. Six hours, sixty bucks. Which means that this DLC costs twice as much as it should, given that the current replay value of the whole game is next to nothing.
  19. Yodaminch Chosen One

star 6
    Agreed. If they want any hope of retaining the jilted gamers and Star Wars fans who have endured several poor products now, they best make any content that was already on the disk free. We paid for the game and got ripped off. I won't shell out another cent for more content on this game and I especially won't do it if it's to unlock something already on the disk.
  20. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    [image=http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/SithStarSlayer/Too_Short.jpg]

I just hate to bust your bubble; but aside from the Endor stuff, the rest of the playable content is/was available via the 'Collector's Edition'. The rest could have been had with a pre-order code.... Boba Fett's skin, Deak Starkiller with yellow lightsaber crystals, and ditto for MaulKiller with the silver ones. The OP of this information cracked the PC game files but didn't cross check against the pre-order bonus list and the $80 version of the game.

In the end, only Endor truly qualifies as NEW DLC....
    I think it borders on being criminal if we have to pay an additional fee to unlock that which already is contained on our game-discs. ESpecially after paying full price for three different playable locations. Two visits to Kamino don't count twice.:p
  21. majorlynch Jedi Knight

star 1
    Not busting my bubble at all, as look as you can see the criminally I have my bubble (they don't last though).

I miss the DLC of the old days. A game was released, the company checked if it sold well.
    If it did they developed some DLC and made it available, e.g. Battlefront 2 with Kit Fisto and Ventress.

NOW they develop the DLC BEFORE the game is finished, INCLUDE it in the disk you bought, and then CHARGE you for it.

And considering they didn't even bother to change a few file names or hide the files in an encrypted zip file.....its like they're showing off their contempt for us.

Though most video game playing star wars fans will give this a go, the wider gaming community has got the message.

Lucasarts <> Quality
    Lucasarts <> Fair DLC
  22. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I loved that Fisto and Ventress DLC!
    The Kashyyyk battle royale was epic at the time!!

Good call.

And yeah, I pretty much loathe everything about LA and their craptastic marketing strategies.
  23. fistofan1 Force Ghost

star 4
    Not to mention their craptastic games. :p
  24. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I was hoping that somebody else "was just about to say that..."
    :D
  25. EECHUUTA Force Ghost

star 4
    If there is more content on that disk, it won't be long until it gets hacked... Code unlock be darned [face_skull]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.