main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Darth_Zandalor, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMaul431

DarthMaul431 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 19, 2003
    Lucasarts continues to disgust me. No new games for Battlefront or Jedi Knight for over half a decade now and since then, the only real games we've had are the two Force Unleashed titles (I can hardly consider the LEGO Star Wars titles and the Clone Wars cash-ins real games).

With this latest title, they expect us to pay 60 bucks for a 3 to 4 hour game (they have some real nerve charging $74 for the so-called Collector's edition). Unbelievable. To put this into some perspective, I just bought the "Undead Nightmare" expansion for Red Dead Redemption. Not only was it a great play through, I got at least 6 hours of gameplay from the main quest, not to mention however long it takes to complete the various side quests. Keep in mind that "Undead Nightmare" is DLC. And the price for this: $10. One sixth of the price of Lucasarts' piece of garbage.

Now I know why this series' abbreviation is TFU.

2. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    A good Star Wars game should last 20 - 25 hours strictly on the main quest, but feel like it lasted a quarter of that time. Honestly, TFU was never a fantastic game. TFU2 was bound to suffer sequelitis. The entire premise of the game was to showcase a physics engine. It's eyecandy wrapped in the deceptive packaging of a full game, and the visuals this time around aren't even as great as the first. I want a Jedi Knight 4. :(

3. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

They could have made a great game. They chose not to. They never had to resurrect Starkiller. TFU2 could have been what we've wanted in the first place: A game starring Vader.

Think of what you could do as Vader: Hunt down stray jedi (heck they could even loosely adapt a few comics where he's done this like the Dark Woman), thwart rebel spies, punish rebel allies, discipline imperial agents etc.

Basically take part of the Star Wars: Empire comic series and adapt it to a video game and you have plenty of things Vader could be doing as the star.

4. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Looks like the consensus around here is that FU2 scores as an epic fail. :p

5. majorlynch

majorlynch Jedi Master star 1

Apr 7, 2010
    Yup, if my wallet had a mind of its own it would be reporting TFU2 to the police for assault.
    But no-one listens to a single wallet anymore.

So it has to wait for a further mugging by FU2 DLC.

I think "FU2" will stand for something offensive on the internet from now on.

6. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    Roger Roger

7. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I would ask "Stoffe" about it over at LucasForums.... as I'm sure they'll create a patch to unlock the PC-version's stuff. I would, but I can't remember my login info. :p

I know 360 games can be copied, as I had my 360 'flashed' in order to play my "backup" copies that I had created. You know, since discs get scratched and stuff.;)

Reading PS3 gamediscs is something I know little, to nothing about...

8. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I so disagree about TFU (1)- it was fantastic- because it had fantastic story and looks- jedi knight series is fun to play but looks pretty bad (well some time ago it was goodlookingfor a game) and story.... well i don't like it- all jokes and those are ok but really all Dark Jedi things or valley of the jedi... geez...JKA was also very fun to play but story sucked.... TFU2 is half game- it's not bad first half but second half is missing.....

9. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Why keep asking for a Jedi Knight 4 when #3 never came out??? :confused: Jedi Academy IS NOT JK3, it was just an expansion to JK2.

You should say, "I want a Jedi Knight 3", and then I'd reply "yes brother, me and just about everyone else". But unfortunately, the chances of that ever happening now are slim to none. :(

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Exactly. Jedi Academy is a stand-alone expansion.

11. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    So today at work, a coworker came to me and asked if I played TFU2. I told him that I didn't get it because 5 hours of game play wasn't worth $60. He insisted that the game was so fun that it was worth his money regardless of how short it was. He got it for $45, so he must have had a few trade-ins or something. But he wouldn't stop talking about how "sick" it is.

12. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Maybe I am missing something here but I have yet to see TFUII priced over $30. Even the ever high priced Best Buy had the PC version in a giant bin for half what you are all talking about. Where the hell are You guys shopping?

Have to say I am disappointed. I was watching Blunty's (youtube) behind the scenes review of it and he seemed pumped about it. I never got the feel it would take so little time to complete. Bummer.

13. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Bestbuy.com has the game priced at $60. (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=0D96BB9BEDBD0A029D62B9175BE4ACFC.bbolsp-app05-37?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=-3174741396042969160&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=force+unleashed+2&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960)

14. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Maybe your city is the only one without an idiot tax, like the one we all seem to have paid. Thirty bucks, and this game would get no complaints about its brevity from me. Having paid sixty for it, I'm chapped to read that its already going so cheaply...:mad:

15. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Any major retailer in the United States of America? Microsoft.com (or another official xbox site) had the game priced at $45 before it came out (assuming pre-order) but everywhere else I've seen it has the game for 59.99. Worth noting PC titles aren't usually 59.99 when they release. Most time they are closer to 40.

16. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I never finished the TFU so I beat it the Jedi way and the Sith way for the first time last week. My game was error messaging me that in order to get trophies that I needed to delete my saved game. So I deleted it last night and started over from the beginning. I'm taking my time in each level and trying to find the holocrons. I'm hoping by the time I'm done playing it again that the TFU II will be cheaper than it currently is. It's dropped from $59.99 to $49.99 on Amazon already.

I do have an Amazon $20 game credit that expires at the end of the month that I was thinking about using for Donkey Kong Returns for the Wii...

17. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    That's the PC version. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Star+Wars%3A+The+Force+Unleashed+II+-+Windows/9955348.p?id=1218200372841&skuId=9955348&st=force%20unleashed&lp=6&cp=1

PC versions of games are always cheaper.

18. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    Eh, no. Jedi Academy is a stand-alone game. The game mechanics are slightly different from Outcast, and you don't need to own Jedi Knight II for Jedi Academy to run. It's a totally different game.

19. JasperMereel_

JasperMereel_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    I still have not bought the game nor played it all. Not enough deanaro yet.

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well I played the wii version of this and wasn't too disappointed. Sure it was short, but when compared to the first game it is a kriffing HUGE improvement. The graphics are actually good, nearly as good as what I've seen on the other versions. I noticed there weren't any of those "run for your life" scenarios, but that seems to be the only difference story-wise. I enjoyed the lightsaber customization. While it would have been cool to do that thing where you temporarily max out your powers, force fury was a suitable substitute, and I'd always lol at the effect of the mind trick. [face_laugh] The multiplayer is alright too. The ability to actually replay individual levels, something completely absent from the first wii one, is very refreshing. I won't be too bummed if TFU3 is never made though, maybe they can still write a book for it.

21. The_Jedihunter

The_Jedihunter Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2009
    One word. Rental. nuff said.

22. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    The Wii version is very different from the X360 and PS3 versions. In fact, it got better ratings.

23. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    What extra story-goodies did the Wii get this time around?

24. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Just like Grand Theft Auto: Vice City should've actually been GTA IV and San Andreas should've been called GTA V, right? I'm just following the publisher's sequel numbering, dude. And yes, I know some files in JKA actually refer to JK3, but I guess the jerks at LucasArts should've named Academy "JK3" if they wanted to. The way I see it, one sequel usually stands out from another -- besides an actual number on the box -- with a different or heavily modified game engine (not exactly the case with Academy) and enough different features to actually make it stand out from its predecessor. Maybe that's why Rockstar held on to the IV title of its flagship series for awhile, in order to deliver something more than a bit different from the previous three games.

25. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    I'll try stop by the BestBuy in my town after work tonight and get you all a picture of the price on the stand for TFUII. No where near $60. I never remember seeing it that high even the day it was released.

I don't know why you guys get all butt hurt about this kinda of stuff, shortness is so habitual with Star Wars games these days. Why do you all rush out and buy them the first day or sit down and play them through for 10 hours straight? Is it so you can talk about it at the water cooler the next day at work or something? I never understood the appeal of going to Wal-mart at midnight and buying/beating a game that night. If you can beat a game in one sitting maybe it isn't because the game is too short, perhaps it is because you are playing it for too long at a time? Now I understand that TFUII is short by any standard but what did you expect? Look at how long it took to release, who made it and tell me you thought it was going to be a Mass Effect or KotOR in length....

Moderation always worked well for me in gaming. I have started so many games in my time as a gamer and finished them years after starting them. I like to fully immerse myself in what I am playing and make them last. I have so many PC and console games that I never got around to beating and a lot of them are 5-10 years old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.