Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Discussion in 'Games' started by Darth_Zandalor, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Talk about extremes.

What's the difference in weirdness if one buys a game and finishes it in ten hours and another buys a game and takes seven years to complete it? Both aren't typical completion timeframes. But the former seems to be a bit more sensical than the latter because I've never heard of someone waiting/taking 5 years to finish a game. That makes no sense to me; unless it totally sucked and they found it years later in a box, on a day where they couldn't leave the house.... THEN, I could see it happening.
  2. The_Chim Force Ghost

star 6
    I guess it is what happens when you have a family, a full time job and are a full time college student? Gaming kind of seems insignificant and takes the backseat. So when I get the chance to play games I like to enjoy them not just beat them for the sake of beating them then bitch that they are so short. I buy a lot of games when they are very cheap, like when Circuit City went under I got a bunch of newer games for very cheap but haven't played any of them (DM4, Farcry, Mass Effect, Orangebox, etc) and don't get around to playing them because of the back log I have.
  3. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    All boils down to preference, I guess. I tend to game when there isn't anything else left to do... or a new preferred release comes about. So I get the family angle. As a demo-trying fanatic, I only buy the games that I'm interested in finishing, no matter how cheap they might end up being. And when I'm done bitching about whatever agitated me the most, I resell them; then I buy the next one on my list.:p

The four games I've purchased in the last year are CoD, Assassin's Creed II, GoW II & III and FU2. Other than FU2, my money has been well-spent....

Having said all that, I see your point.
    If you can get games at 1/5 the original cost, why NOT buy them?
  4. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8

It took me almost a year or so to finish Zelda: Wind Waker and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time...and not because I was savoring every moment of each game. As soon as Wind Waker required you to search the ocean for triforce fragments, I was like "screw this!" and put that game down for a long time. Frankly, searching the ocean for those damn fragments was a huge pain and, imo, an obvious filler sequence to an otherwise good game.

As for Sands of Time, well that game just got really frustrating with the combat mechanics. I really started to get pissed off at it. The following games improved on the combat, however, though I still to this day have never managed to complete PoP: Warrior Within. There was one part where the Dahaka was chasing me and I couldn't maneuver past all the obstacles fast enough, so I eventually gave up.
  5. Sgt_Cade Jedi Knight

star 1
    I miss the old days of Star Wars gaming. Dark Forces, just Kyle with guns and no force powers or ligthsabers. X-Wing and TIE Fighter, just a fighter pilot, and the missions were great. X-Wing is still a very hard game.
  6. majorlynch Jedi Knight

star 1
    TIE Fighter, what a great game, I bought the original and "remastered" version with additional detail when it came out.
    That took about 15 to 20 hours to complete. All from a fresh perspective allowing you to work alongside classic star wars characters.

Great gaming.

Now we have games that are so short you're completed them faster then it took you to earn the money to buy them.
  7. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    Agreed. :( *sheds a manly tear for nostalgia's sake*

Also agreed in regards to X-Wing. I played the remastered version that collected the X-W series (XW, TF and XW:A) and it's definitely a harder game compared to the others isnce it does not have the gameplay improvements introduced in latter games. That Death Start trench run was an absolute pain unless you cheated your way out of it (fly high above it, then divebomb your way to the exhaust port).
  8. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    I've never played any of these "golden age" Star Wars games that you guys keep talking about. Having always been a console gamer (with the rare exception of a few PC games like the Warcraft series), I've only tried the demo of Dark Forces (or was it Dark Forces II?). The only old Star Wars games I really recall playing are the Super Star Wars games for the SNES.

Oh, and Rogue Squadron for the N64 was an awesome game. But I didn't care for any of the other Rogue Squadron games. I got sick of replaying through the same missions over and over and over again after each console generation. Plus, the flight mechanics just didn't appeal to me the same way that Star Fox does. Give me an Arwing any day--so much more fun!
  9. -polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 4
    Go find a used copy of Rebellion/Supremacy online and take a few days playing it. It's one of the best of the golden era Lucasarts games, despite the reputation.
  10. Sgt_Cade Jedi Knight

star 1
    For a long time now I had always hoped for a Privateer style Star Wars game, I guess the modern equivalent would be a GTA or Red Dead Redemption open environment game. I guess Star Wars Galaxies was like that, when it was a big open sand box style game, but I quickly left that once the NGE took effect.

I think my main problem with TFU, and TFUII is mainly the story - of course the short gameplay doesn't help much. But I usually have to write it off in my mind as an elseworld story.
  11. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    Never played Rebellion, but, despite its flaws, I enjoyed Empire At War (mostly because of the massive space combat missions, ground battles left a bit to be desired).

He can also: 1) get Steam and then 2) get any of those old classics for a song and D/L to his PC. I'm not sure if they're already prepatched to run on Win XP systems, but they should run on anything prior to Windows Vista. There used to be plenty of files at LucasFiles that'd enable to run those older games on WinXP.
  12. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    There's one thing I don't get, is the light blue crystal for the lightsaber brighter than the regular blue one? I mean, I've looked at several of the youtube videos and the blue is bright and it wasn't just from the pc version but from a palystation 3 version as well. My question is, is that blue shade from the regular blue or the light blue one. Guys, I apologize if I'm asking this, but for once, I took the advise of most on the boards an decided to pass on this game. The amount of money and the shortness of game play is not worth it. Let me know.
  13. rpvee Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    So I'm listening to the promo score, and so far, unless I'm just oblivious, I haven't heard Juno's theme once, which is a darn shame since it was such a beautiful theme. Can anyone hear it anywhere?
  14. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    They took four steps backs with "all-things-concerning-lightsabers" this time around. And to be perfectly honest, I've had a boatload of fun replaying the first game on highest difficulty this past week. What really stands out to me now; is the diversity of the levels, even on planets twice-visited. The second game does not even come close when you compare the two.

As for the "blue blades" IIRC, isn't the pale one called Cyan? Or something?
    Love the first game's customization, loathe FU-2's lack thereof.
  15. JediKnight20043 Force Ghost

star 5
    It's official.

Two weeks! Two weeks since it's release and we can tell how they are majorly ripping gamers off. Just I have had enough of lucasarts. I'm so glad that I didn't put money into Lucasart's coffers and rented the game instead. Even that was barely worth it.

EDIT: However apparently it will only cost $1. So perhaps lucasarts are partly listening to the vast amount of complaining people are doing. Can companies even make free content on XBL? Or does microsoft make them charge something.
  16. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The DLC won't cost just a dollar, THAT price is for the upcoming (and completely separate) costume pack. Nice to know the content is already on my disc, that I don't "own". Awful.
  17. majorlynch Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yup, DLC that is already on the disk announced just two weeks after the game was released.

A dollar? The new skin pack will cost a dollar.
    I think this level will cost more.
    Although FREE would be nice considering how short the game was.

This is the only Star Wars game I haven't bought. I've rented it and I'm waiting for the "special edition" which will no doubt be out by xmas.

Lucasarts = Rip Off Empire.

18. majorlynch Jedi Knight

star 1
    Honestly poodoo like this will make it really hard for the Old Republic to sell well.

Anyone burned on the shortness of this game is going to think twice about buying the next thing that has Lucasarts Logo on it.

I'll get this DLC when its on the special Special SPECIAL FU2 edition disk.
    Second-hand.

FU2 Lucasarts!!!
  19. GreyJedi23 Jedi Master

star 1
  20. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm soo steamed at this, that I'm seriously considering the thought of never buying another LucasArts game again. TOR looks awesome, but I get the feeling that you'll constantly have to purchase upgrades for an "optimal" playthrough. I'm one more stupid announcement away from finally ending my SW gaming run.
  21. GreyJedi23 Jedi Master

star 1
    Yeah, as much as I like bioware, I don't think that even they can make this an amazing game.
  22. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I wouldn't have a leg to stand on if LA didn't overhype and then underdeliver with such a SHORT campaign. But I'm spitting-nails mad over them charging ANY amount for content they've already shipped with the game. Obviously, they didn't need any more time to develop the levels, this is strictly a CASH grab. Infuriating.
  23. Giolon05 Jedi Knight

star 3
  24. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    "George Lucas' writing skills are more like vomitting through a pen." --priceless.

And BTW, that might be the most accurate review of the game that I've heard to date.
  25. Zebra3 Force Ghost

star 5
    "Not sound tactics, Vader me old mate." :p

Also I like the comparison between the love story in AOTC and a couple of stacked chairs [face_laugh]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.