main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Ep. VIII) - Dec 15th, 2017

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Gallandro, Jan 20, 2016.

1. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    To be honest, I was looking forward to Star Wars moving back to May. It became such a hassle to see TFA opening weekend and almost all of the issues were unique to the holiday schedule. So I'll probably grumble about this until I actually see the movie. It's a classic first world problem.

I'm also concerned about delays and how it pertains to potential future involvement from John Williams, James Earl Jones, Frank Oz, Billy Dee Williams, Peter Mayhew, Kenny Baker, Ian McDiarmid, Erik Bauersfeld and so on. It was great seeing Admiral Ackbar again, but I'd be amazed if the 90 something year old Erik Bauersfeld is around to voice him again in Episode IX. Though maybe they spent a day with him recording a bunch of nonsense that can be strung together for the plot of that future film. Plan ahead Rian!

I'd say that script rewrites are good because I want the best product possible, but even then I still ended up having to endure Starkiller Base. Oh well. Just another additional 7 more months of "Snoke is...." threads.

B99 and appleseed like this.
  2. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    good! 1) give rian johnson all the time he needs, the longer the better, nothing will be rushed 2) i love december and winter, and star wars will be my special gift for the next 5 years!! i really appreciated my 4th screening of TFA during the christmas holidays and january (my 5th screening will be this sunday!) 3) 1 year 1/2 is a bit short to build up some kind of iconicity, i don't want the trilogy to feel like three chapters of a same story (like the lord of the rings movies, however good they are), but three separate entities that follow a particular era of the GFFA (like previous trilogies). 2 years feel more right to me, 2 years with this mental image of luke and rey on the island of ahch-to, 2 years of picturing ben/kylo's unsettling pale face as he kills his father...

3. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    And thread drive-bys of "TFA is the worst film because reasons"

4. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I think this also means that we won't get a first teaser for VIII this summer.

With TFA, we had the first teaser a month after the movie was finished. I expect filming for VIII to end in August or September of this year, but I doubt that they want to release a teaser that early.

5. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    After a small disappointment at having to wait yet half a year more for my next SW episode (and being short of one birthday gift, as I am a May child), I have to say that I am generally happy at the decision. Whatever the reason, be it script problems, delayed casting, or simply financial savvy to take advantage of the holiday season, I am simply glad to have a new Christmas gift under my tree. With the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit trilogies, I had gotten used to having my holiday fantasy escape ringing in the season, and when the last Hobbit film went out, I remember being sad at having to mourn the end of an era. So I am elated that my other favourite fantasy franchise takes the December spot and carries on the tradition. And winter is such an appropriate time to go to the movies anyway, as we seek the warmth of the cinema to fend off the creeping cold.

TX-20 and EHT like this.
  6. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    All evidence so far says they are extremely Prequelphobic. They won't even use PT elements when the story pretty much demands that they do, like in Rogue One.

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  7. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR and Krueger like this.
  8. Cyan_Dawn

Cyan_Dawn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 1999
    Those will continue forever and ever, to the end of time, no matter what we learn about Snoke.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    At least the comics and novels will still be coming out.

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  10. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Well, so my tradition for the next few years is to finish work for the year. Have a goodbye lunch with fellow workers. And then sneak off to a Star Wars movie.

I can live with that.
    Though I do wish the Marvelisation of Star Wars actually happened and we got 3 movies a year.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  11. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I don't know if you have read the Marvel comics or watched Rebels, but they are definitely not "extremely Prequelphobic". In Rebels we have Obi-Wans holo message, Luminara Unduli, Darth Maul and some TCW references like Ahsoka, Rex and Hondo. In the Marvel comics, we have Coruscant, Naboo, Battle droids, Geonosis, flashbacks to Prequel scenes and currently the whole Obi-Wan & Anakin miniseries. There are probably far more references than the ones I have listed, but I can't remember all of them. And not to forget, we also had some PT callbacks in TFA.

It's just a myth that Disney doesn't want to have anything to do with the Prequels.

Darkspellmaster, TX-20, EHT and 4 others like this.
  12. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    Disagree. They haven't been afraid in Rebels, the comics have Leia visiting Naboo and flying a Naboo starfighter, they just started a new Anakin and Obiwan series, and Geonosis seems pretty important in the Tarkin novel which is canon, so why wouldn't it appear in Rogue One?

Darkspellmaster, EHT and Darth_Voider like this.
  13. Worker11811

Worker11811 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    We can only hope. I know I'm not wasting any money on that franchise. I'm saving up for multiple Star Wars: VIII screenings.

Avnar likes this.
  14. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    The other material, while supposedly equally canon, is not as high exposure as the movies. As for Geonosis, they completely killed the race off in the new Marvel comics Darth Vader series. I don't expect it to appear in Rogue One.

I don't expect any Prequel planets or characters to ever appear again in the movies.

15. Worker11811

Jan 6, 2016

The story seems to be: Disney looked at the audience response to Finn and Rey and ordered more screen time for them. Johnson is re-writing the script accordingly and one of the new characters has had their screen time diminished because of that. Also, they released the original actor for that role and hired someone new.

turnip white likes this.
  16. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    Well I think we'll be surprised as some point. I guess we'll find out!

Oh: and the DV comic is set after Episode IV, so not sure how that rules out a Rogue One appearance.

17. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    May 2017 wasn't realistic. This was a necessary change. I'd much rather it push back and they knock it out of the park.

And I agree that Acatar 2 won't b released in 2017.

JediChipKelly likes this.
  18. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Avatar 2 for this who don't know is not coming out in December 2017. It's already been taking off sights like Rotten Tomato and IMDB as the release month. Cameron is going to be late with it just like he was with the first one and Titanic. That is why Disney had no issues with pushing it back until December 2017. There is no competition just like for TFA.

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Ugh. No. That would be overkill.

Darkspellmaster, TX-20 and Darkslayer like this.
  20. Worker11811

Jan 6, 2016

YES! Why do you think the Ewoks weren't Wookies? Oh, sure he made some story, but cute cuddly teddy bears sell more merch.

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  21. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    I actually liked the Christmas release for TFA so waiting another 6 months for Episode 8 is fine with me. Hopefully we get a teaser Thanksgiving weekend this year!

22. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002

One a year or 18 months is just about right. For a few years, then a break.

23. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002

Do we need to post the Jar-jar tongue candy again?

turnip white likes this.
  24. Worker11811

Jan 6, 2016

[​IMG]

DARTH MUPPET likes this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    R2 underwear or whatever the heck that was.

Worker11811 likes this.
  26. Worker11811

Jan 6, 2016

[​IMG]

27. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002

In Australia it's too hot in December to do a line up!