1. A Warning For Everyone To See:

PT vs. OT vs. ST vs. Anthology (in any combination) debates are not allowed in the New Movies forums. Discussions that descend into OT/PT/ST/Anthology bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Consider this your warning.

Official Info Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Ep. VIII) - December 15, 2017

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by EHT, Mar 12, 2015.

1. EHT New Films Manager -- on vacation

Manager
    star 7
  2. Force Smuggler Force Ghost

star 7
  3. hippie1kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    Rogue One, eh? Felicity Jones as an X-Wing pilot, maybe?
  4. cubman987 PT Book Club Host - PT Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 5
    I'm glad it's going to be a summer release....and less than two years after TFA!!
    jaqen and TigerCraneFist like this.
  5. DarthWilliams Jedi Master

star 4
    Said this in the other thread, but my birthday is May 21, so I'm really excited about the May releases again. It always felt like a nice birthday gift, and with all of the merch, made it much easier for my friends and family to find gifts for me.
    DARTH_BELO, jaqen and cubman987 like this.
  6. EHT New Films Manager -- on vacation

Manager
    star 7
    This is really the most important thing. :p
  7. Big Bad Yoda Daddy Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Oh man, today's a good news day. Spinoff announced and a less-than-two year wait for Ep VIII! I mean, I kind of expected it considering how Johnson talked about working on the story so long ago, it only makes sense that it's done (and I bet it starts shooting just after TFA hits,) but it's a still nice confirmation. I've got my 805 countdown right underneath my 280 countdown on my phone now. =)
    TigerCraneFist likes this.
  8. DarthWilliams Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, we're in for a long haul of nonstop news. Rogue One filming this summer, TFA out this winter and Episode VIII will probably start shooting around the same time, then we do it all again next year with a winter movie. Kind of a non-stop cycle for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by DarthWilliams, Mar 12, 2015
  9. DARTH_BELO Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I actually might not be surprised if they began work on VIII even a bit before TFA is released. Preproduction starting as early as summer/early fall. Now that this is all under Disney, they have the funding to literally have several SW projects in the works simultaneously. Kind of exciting actually...
  10. DarthWilliams Jedi Master

star 4
    Exactly. I think that's one of the bigger reasons JJ Abrams wasn't a consideration for Episode VIII - he can't work on two movies at the same time. TFA started filming in May 2014, so 19 months before the movie's release. 19 months before May 2017 is October 2015, so they may even be filming VIII before VII is out.
  11. Beezer Jedi Master

star 4
    Let the record show I am still clinging to my "I'll believe it when I see it" philosophy regarding the spinoff release date. :D

I am going down with the ship, baby! In for a penny, in for a pound!!!
    Last edited by Beezer, Apr 11, 2015
  12. TCF-1138 Porg of New Films & Fan Films

Manager
    star 5
    Why is that? They have roughly the same time table. They're shooting this summer for release Christmas 2016. TFA was shot last summer with release this Christmas.
  13. B99 Force Ghost

star 6
    Official title announced![face_dancing]
    Show Spoiler

[IMG]

Wasn't sure where else to post this.
    Last edited by B99, Jan 23, 2017
  14. Big Bad Yoda Daddy Jedi Grand Master

star 4

Show Spoiler
    Not only is that logo amazingly ominous, but LUKE!!!!!!! It's all I can think about. I am now filing suit against Lucasfilm because the sheer amount of hype I'm feeling at this moment will likely kill me before the movie comes out.

EDIT: Also, @EHT, you might want to change the post's title to reflect the official release date.
    Last edited by Big Bad Yoda Daddy, Jan 23, 2017
    EHT and B99 like this.
  15. EHT New Films Manager -- on vacation

Manager
    star 7
    Oops, yeah... still had the original date on there. Thanks. Also added the title to the thread title too.
  16. episodenone Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    let the speculation begin.................
  17. Darth Dnej Jedi Knight

star 4
    It's a great title, but I am going to be bothered for a long time that it is reusing a title already used by a novel. They could've called the film The Jedi Master, or The Last of the Jedi.
  18. SWRed7 Jedi Padawan

star 1
  19. woj101 Jedi Master

star 2
    Well sure, they could have done, but they'd be seriously compromising it for the sake of being original.

The Last Jedi is just a much better title.

I love it. It makes me wanna cry.
    Last edited by woj101, Jan 23, 2017
    The Vanguard and TCF-1138 like this.
  20. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 9
    It's a very ambiguous title, given that 'Jedi' can be used both singular and plural.
    jaqen likes this.
  21. Big Bad Yoda Daddy Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Last edited by Big Bad Yoda Daddy, Jan 23, 2017
  22. TCF-1138 Porg of New Films & Fan Films

Manager
    star 5
    So, we break the naming convention with the middle chapter.
    Eh, I'm okay with that.

Very interesting title! It makes me wonder about a lot of things:

-Is this Luke's last film? (Please, please, please say it ain't so! [face_praying] )
    -Is Luke the last Jedi, or is Rey? (I'm guessing the title refers to Luke, but it could be Rey - or both of them of course.)
    -Is this the last film featuring Jedi (As in - could it be the Rey doesn't become a Jedi, and Luke dies in this one. No more Jedi. Something else to take their place. Ugh, hope this one's very, very wrong!)
    -Is this film going to make me cry like a baby? (Yes. Yes it is.)

Damn, now I want a trailer! Like... tomorrow!
    Wasn't the title for Episode VII released mere days before the first teaser trailer? ;)
  23. CowMoo Jedi Master

star 2
    well, the title of TFA was released before there was a trailer, if I remember right.

My own prediction - Luke is going to pass away in some fashion. Whether it will be a peaceful death like Yoda's or a more violent one like Qui Gon Jinn remains to be seen. As someone else mentioned however, a "death" of some sort usually allows the new characters, especially Rey most likely, the "space" to determine their own path and destiny.
  24. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    What the what?! Is this the real title?

Geez, the things you miss when you're driving 12+ hours through rain/sleet/snow.
  25. dva3842 Jedi Master

star 1
    With the title, I'm worried about the fate of Luke too. I would like to see a battle similar to the one on Mon Calamari in Dark Empire with a host of
    world devastators and commandeered old star destroyers. Got a little of more cruiser action in Rogue one..