main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Fan Reviews Here

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by G-FETT, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    Meh...even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.

Only a hollow blowhard would start a discussion from such a disrespectful position and only a fool would think they were casting more light than heat into the conversation.

"Hi. I believe you can only be a self deluding creature of a brand because you do not share my opinion of this subjective piece of art. Please respect me and my opinions" isn't useful, rather it says nothing but "I'm here for the pie fight, I take it that poo is all good to fling as well?".

Perhaps try reconciling a world that doesn't revolve around you and your opinions. You know a place that doesn't require conspiracy theories and robbing those that disagree with you all agency?

From the point of view of this Star Wars fan since the first movie dropped I can't get what the hell all the gnashing of teeth is about and wonder if we all occupy the same dimension much less saw the same movie which hooked me from the jump and took me with it like no film has in decades but I can do it without making you have to be some mindless creature in the process.

However going with this approach says way more than a simple opinion on a movie ever could while explaining some of the reaction from some detractors - Lack of emotional maturity and basic empathy to meaningfully process the material offered otherwise one wouldn't start from the position that a person must be a golem or somehow compromised to like a movie you didn't.

Don't appreciate being characterized as such? What the do you expect? What other conclusion are those you casually cast aspersions on supposed to arrive at?
    You almost can only be projecting your own insecurity in your stances to require such a closed loop to reconcile them with their being a lot of people that disagree with you.

I utterly despise Highlander 2 but I do not need to insert some psychological device to allow that some folks like it.
    I live in a universe where they can remain sentient, reasonable, and decent souls and disagree with me on how the movie hit them.

You are constructing an airstrip that there can be no room for a plane to land on which can only be a bombing target to those in the air because it is firing away on sight.

2. Pete Ren

Pete Ren Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2017
    Thanks! I knew I wasn't alone.

Agreed with all you say. Empire is a great movie, its a great Star Wars movie and its a great sequel. I class it among other great sequels, such as Godfather 2 (showing my age!), Aliens (showing my age!) and Terminator 2 (showing my age!).

Compare the end state of our characters in Empire, to those of TLJ: Han is a prisoner, Luke has lost a hand, after finding out his dad is a bad a really bad person.

The only comparison is the Rebellion was smashed and in TLJ its worse (that was OK, by the way).

There is little or nothing now set up for Ep9, to make us yearn to see the conclusion. Its been totally defused by TLJs lack of any gravitas.

Sleepy76, T-R-, jimtalkbox and 3 others like this.
  3. Pete Ren

Dec 27, 2017
    Atleast you can admit to being aware of the so called "teeth gnashing". So you know I'm not a lone voice. Its not just my opinion.

You may choose to fling certain stuff, but that comment may breach rules here? I haven't checked.

As for mindless creature, if my opinion and comments are so devoid of human form, I wonder why you reply at all. Don't bother to do so again. We disagree on a movie. I posted my comments because I am bitterly disappointed for the reasons I gave. Deal with it and go away or be polite in your responses.

As for me being insecure? Over a movie? Nope, you got that wrong too.

You are right to dislike Highlander 2 though - I'll give you that :)

As for you airstrip analogy, you are actually saying my opinion is not welcome and I'm inviting criticism. Too bad you couldn't actually tell me why you like TLJ, rather than attempt to question me as a fan and a person. It's to late for you to do that now though. Goodbye.

And don't call me a blow hard. The moment you insult, is the moment you lose.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    The above are examples of a bad way to disagree. Not liking the movie is perfectly valid. Telling others that they're in denial because they don't share your view is rude, disrespectful, and against forum rules. Talk about your own views and leave other's views out of it.
    Unfortunately, you still managed it.
    Two wrongs don't make a right. Don't escalate, even if baited. Just report it.
    Again, just report baiting. Escalation just makes everything worse, and can get you in as much trouble as them. Being baited isn't an excuse to break the rules, yourself.

5. Pete Ren

Dec 27, 2017
    Oh ok sorry about that. And I did report it.

I posted an honest opinion and no one has managed to respond with positive comments about the film, or explained why they like it.

I hope you mention this to those that “baited” me.

By all means delete my account if I’ve broken the rules.

6. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    My "report it" comment was aimed at those others, not at you. I was responding to multiple people in my post.

7. Pete Ren

Dec 27, 2017
    Ok sorry, I see what you mean now!

Thanks,

Pete

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  8. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Look again. Their comments are there, too.

9. Pete Ren

Dec 27, 2017
    Yep I did! My reply crossed with yours!

Hyperdrive powered comments

10. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Jan 23, 2016
    I reckon you forgot you posted the following chestnut?

"If you are a fan of the saga and you like this movie, I believe deep down you know its bad, but because it says its a Star Wars movie, you are making yourself like it."

This is why I said what I did and stand by it.

11. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Jan 23, 2016
    There was no escalation but rather a reasonable response in the context of the assertion of the poster.

I stand by every word and feel the reply was perfectly inbounds to assert the right to be the source of truth on my own opinions and to point out the disrespectful tenor of statement.

I'm not finding any rule anywhere requiring moderator appeal for my self determination of what is in my own mind nor was the poster taken to task at all for their opinion for any work of art but rather for their stunning disrespect of anyone else's agency.

Was my approach firm? Very but it certainly afforded more respect for the poster's humanity than was granted.

Perhaps if parents and teachers had done the job a long time ago it wouldn't fall to me now to correct what they failed to and to be frank, it isn't helpful for moderation to engender an atmosphere where people with their nose out of joint about a movie feel entitled to step on everyone else and empowered and encouraged to tattle like toddlers when they get pushback either.

12. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Sigh. Well, I guess we'll discuss it further in your Unban Request, since you can't except a simple moderation. Enjoy your break.

CEB likes this.
  13. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    4th screening last night...definitely in my top 3 SW movies. I can see how the tone and story choices might upset people but to me it really feels like the dark old "once upon a time" tale i was expecting from RJ. With lots of depth and top acting and directing (some scenes really feels like an arty indie movie with a death-star sized budget IMO). With touches of weird humour, ww2 feels and oliver twist vs the french riviera thrown into the mix haha.

The Yoda/burnt tree scene is really beautiful and one of the best SW moment i think. There's a lot of interesting themes and ideas throughout the film. It's really dense and rich. The Rey/Ben connection workd incredibly well and Luke's final battle as a spiritual one rather than physical fits with what i expect from a Jedi Master....the Kylo/Rey vs Snoke and Praetorian guards makes me go crazy everytime as see it haha!!

My wife and I were with a friend of ours who just saw the 8 previous films for the 1st time last year. She loved the movie and thought it was one of the best (for the recorf we're all in our 30 s)

I dont understand the "you think you love it because it's SW". Thzre was some SW movies i really wanted to love but just felt so disappointed...why would i be in denial now?

14. Pete Ren

Dec 27, 2017
    Oh

15. Darth Air Raley

Darth Air Raley Jedi Padawan

May 11, 2016
    For the most part, if you were born before/in the 70s to about mid 80s, you didn't like this movie. If you were born after that, you did. For MOST of the people who actually saw ROTJ in the theater in 1983 and got their hopes up when Disney bought the franchise only to see what happened to Luke Skywalker after 34 years, the movie is a disaster. The divisiveness of this film lies in the fan age gap. I'm older = hated it. For the record, I have no problem with the female leads, etc. Hated the story, hated what happened to Luke, blah, blah, blech.

What I would like to know is if Rian Johnson is just another Kathleen Kennedy "yes man," carrying out her wishes for this trilogy, or if if he really thinks he put together a good, cohesive story with TLJ.

16. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    The second one. I saw an interview in which she was really on the defensive while talking about the fact that the movie was going to be provocative.

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  17. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    I imagine there relationship to be more like a Gordon Gekko/Bud Fox thing.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  18. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    He really put together a good, cohesive story with TLJ.

And he knew this would make some old fans go away. Which is great, we need to renew Star Wars, or we are going to become like the old Star Trek.

19. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I like the idea that, while keeping some crucial aspects of the saga, every director can give his personal cut. Who knows? Maybe Ron Howard will divide fans even more...

20. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    I really hated this movie, it just did everything wrong, but it did Luke wrong most of all, I'm just going to link my review because it's just easier for you guys to read it than have me rewrite it here: Movie Review: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Also, for TLDR:

Sleepy76 and Darren_Saw like this.
  21. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Enough with the hyperboles.

22. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    I very much disliked this film. Sadly, I have no desire to see anymore of what Disney/KK has to offer after this mess of a movie. I very much agree with all that have written nice reviews of why they didn't like this film so I see no reason to write another post just to say the same thing. Most of the disappointment reviews that have gone in depth are spot on as how I feel about this film.

Although I will add:
    • Why do bombs fall out of a ship in space like it's falling onto a land destination? (yes I have seen the comments about the other ships have gravity and no, that is not how science works, at least not on that scale)
    • Why, in the vacuum of space do ships need fuel like a car needs gasoline to keep going? In space, once you've achieved a certain velocity you keep going at the same velocity, so burning fuel until you slow down makes absolutely no sense.
    I say the above to say this: As George Lucas said, you should never make a film about space or space craft, you should only use those as vehicles to tell your story. In the instance of TLJ, they did they opposite. If you're going to make a film that the plot requires physics to makes sense, then it *must* make sense.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Sleepy76, MS1 and ChildOfWinds like this.
  23. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Huh? I'm 40 and liked the story overall.

Luke represents a lot of how the baby boomer generation was back then when the OT came out.

And TLJ Luke reps a lot of how i see the older baby boomer generation act right now.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Ricardo Funes likes this.
  24. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    The B-17 scene could have been salvaged with a simple blue shimmer in the distance signifying a Star Wars-compatible air shield that maintains atmospheric pressure, and some simple LEDs along the bomb racks that light up in a way that signify a rail gun-like acceleration from the ship. This could *evoke acceleration due to gravity and deliver the entire female combatant + B-17 valor intact without any ejecting oversights. I was ejected from this scene because I wanted to be in it.

With the Empire / Rebel chase scene, one can think of "stopping" as 'failing to accelerate' in the same shared reference frame. Whoever retains reaction mass continues to be able to accelerate, and the Rebel ship runs out of reaction mass. So while it does not come to a stop due to frictional forces (Mutara Nebula buffeting Enterprise), it remains at a velocity the Empire ship exceeds. Extra gymnastics, I know, since there's a planet in a separate reference frame. I forget and mightily do not care what distinction is raised as to what fuel is required for hyperspace, and if they were unable to jump to hyperspace because of fuel also, or only because of, the hyperspace tracking predicament. One can however retcon the planetary reference frame by assigning that the planet was at some carefully chosen point along its orbit between perihelion and aphelion. I.e., it was conveniently slowing down. I'm here all week.

(One or two sentences could have [technobabble]'ed the incomprehensibly unprecedented tactic that a cruiser could be used as a ballistic weapon and that countermeasures did not exist. It could require that the Rebel ship was specially designed for this eventuality, and the tactic would thereby not have been anticipated.)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    MS1 and Lt. Hija like this.
  25. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    You, Hernalt, are brilliant!