main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars: The Old Republic (Bioware MMO) [Spoilers Allowed]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by SephyCloneNo15, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master-Chief-Kenobi

Master-Chief-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2007
    KOTOR3 by bioware is a wet dream come true. A KOTOR MMO by bioware would be too awsome to out into words. ALl they'd have to do is set it during one of the epic jedi vs sith wars of the ancient past and put a star wars skin on World of Warcraft.

2. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I'd love to see some of the comics stuff in the game. :D

3. KnightDawg

KnightDawg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2007
    Hmmmm......I thought Zayne Carrick was in KotOR II and on the cover of it. [face_whistling]

4. Corusca_One

Corusca_One Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    KotOR II had way more depth, but it kinda helped that it was building off the foundations and ideas placed by Bioware in the original. Its good to see Obsidian getting credit for once, but really I can't see Bioware doing a bad job here.

When Lucas first released ANH they didn't know if they'd make enough back for a sequel so its got an ending of sorts, but it also strikes me as having less 'depth. The same is the case with many other products, including KotOR. Many of the key elements found in TSL are inspired directly by the previous game after all.

Its going to be a changed game to match the expectations of the current market, but I can't see Bioware throwing TSL out of the window, they will build on it and bring the trilogy to a conclusion. Then they can start thinking of a spiritual successor like TR said. :p

Jedimarine I agree everything pretty much any company does thesedays is to make money. I've been thinking that they will change strategy since the president left but if even if your right about those old games coming back we're in for a long wait.

I'm waiting for the announcement of Battlefront 3 and tie ins for the Clone Wars and Live action tv series first. :rolleyes:

Oh and Zayne will only make an appearence if his fate in the KotOR comics has been decided by the time they are fully developing the game, its going to be set quite a while after those comics afterall.

5. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I'm sure there will be a number of comic references. An appearance by Zayne seems a lot more unlikely to me though.

6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Not really.

KotOR II's basic story - it's "building" - was written before anyone at Obsidian had played KotOR I. (Per Avellone's interview at Knights)

I quote: "Revan who?"

That's why the transition between the two was so jarring.

Edit: Insofar as Bioware vs Obsidian is concerned, well, the former make better games. The latter tell better (or, at the very least, more ambitious) stories.

BioWare stick to telling basic, functional (and of course, fun) stories. S'not a bad thing, I love their titles.

Obsidian try to go a little beyond that. Well, Avellone anyway.

The main reason I'm "concerned" about it being BioWare and not Obsidian doing KotOR III boils down to things being jarring, or plot points and established bits of canon from KotOR II being ignored or contradicted. (Hey, a little bit like how things went from KotOR I to II... [face_whistling])

Did you ever play Throne of Bhaal? BioWare couldn't even be bothered to stick to the continuity of a game they'd developed themselves (BG1) :p

7. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    I'd be fine with a MMORPG entitled KoToR....but KoToR III has to be a single player format like the other two. I've played MMoRPG's in the past, but I'm really too casual of a gamer. I would prefer to have my single player, 40-50 hours of game time well written closed ending story. If KoToR III came out as an MMO....I wouldn't even buy it.

8. Emperor_Time

Emperor_Time Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2007
    I know but they could at least have someone who has know Zayne during his adventures and say that Zayne whereabouts are unknown or something. :)

9. Corusca_One

Oct 24, 2005
    I've never had much interest in their fantasy RPG's so no, and i've never really read around the subject on either developer - its just how it appeared to me. Can't believe they hadn't played KotOR, considering Obsidian have supposidly close ties to Bioware? Still I wouldn't call KotOR's story basic, compared to a lot of video game scripts it was still pretty out there.

Hopefully they will avoid such continuity mistakes, but I must admit I see it happening. Its the series that just can't stick to a developer! Obsidian did a lot with the character of 'Revan' however long it took them to find out who he was, shall be interesting to see if Bioware keep it all in mind or not.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Bioware coordinate with Avellone on the story.

10. Ashandarei

Ashandarei Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    My only real experience with Obsidian (that I know of, anyway) is KotOR 2 and NwN 2/MOTB. Which had great plots ... until the end. In all cases. NwN 2 especially ... the ending they decided on was "rocks fall, everything dies".

I don't know, I'd be a bit leery of trusting them with ending a series (KotOR won't necessarily end with III, but trilogies seem to be the trend).

11. Corusca_One

Oct 24, 2005
    According to gamespot everyones jumped the gun and this is just another rumour. EA have said that the list is a list of the developers key games, including back catelogue. Still, it seems a bit fishy, pretty much all those games are ongoing series that make money. Franchises that have planned sequels and such. Why put KotOR down if there arn't plans to make money from it in the relatively near future?

Could be someone made a mistake and its all set for a big announcement later this year. We can only hope. [face_praying] I just wish they'd quit the silence and just give us an answer, however much the finances point towards it being made it would be nice to get some kind of confirmation about its future. [face_plain]

12. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Methinks we're not going to get the big announcement until after TFU comes out.

13. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    You know, I liked Kotor 1's story a lot better than kotor 2's. Matter of fact, I never encountered a single bug playing through it and because of the new options and little improvements, found it a much better game mechanically. But I didn't enjoy all that much because of its story, especially with the characters never changing their dialog based off events or previous dialog. Frankly, when I asked blind, Visas?, about her master right after killing him and she told me to pray that I never meet him, it killed my suspense of disbelief faster than a podracer running into a cliff.

Suffice it to say, I really hope that bioware is making this...but with two other Mass Effect games to make, I won't jump for joy just yet.

Besides, what I really want is another Jade Empire. I want to see Phoenix Gate!

14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Concur.

Jade Empire was awesome.

15. KnightDawg

KnightDawg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2007
    I'm pretty sure GL will milk "Force Unleashed" for all it's worth before we ever see KotOR III. I think we won't see KotOR III until at least 2010.

On the bright side, by then we will be so deep into the KotOR comics' storylines to probably see the birth of Darth Revan, Darth Malak, the transformations of Lucien Draay into Darth Sion, Krynda Draay into Darth Traya, and *fingers crossed*....Zayne Carrick into the Togruta skull wearing Sith Lord...Darth Nihilus.

I think all the KotOR talk right now is nothing more than wishful thinking. [face_peace]

16. Master_Uxi

Master_Uxi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2005
    Must.Have.On.PS3.

(But will blow the dust off my 360, if necessary).

17. Sikon

Sikon Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2006
    I hope we'll get a new protagonist and minimal involvement of Revan and the Exile, if at all.

18. JediMasterNicolas

JediMasterNicolas Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 4, 2005
    [face_praying]

Please, please, be true. I'm going to bed. If I come back and find out this rumor was false, it will be worse than finding out Santa isn't real.

19. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    To quote Chris Priestly from the official Bioware boards...

[i]Quote: Posted 02/13/08 22:37 (GMT) by Chris Priestly[/i]

Hi folks

This seems to be much ado about nothing (to quote the bard). This was a slide that EA used to show the pedigree of the different studios to investors. That is why you see games that have already been released (like KotOR, Black, Boogie and others) mentioned on the slide.

Now that we all know what this is, the thread can be closed. Thanks.

LOCKDOWN![hr][/blockquote]
    [link=http://swforums.bioware.com/viewpost.html?forum=27&topic=617662&post=5646259&stag=0]Link[/link]

20. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Ah, good.

21. Corusca_One

Oct 24, 2005
    Amusingly with the whole Mass Effect on PC debate still raging he didn't deny they were working on it either. :p

Anyway the fact they/EA are touting it as a franchise to be noted is positive anyway.

22. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    LucasArts didn't allow them to play it for the first month or so. You also have to remember, that Obsidian started devlopment on the second one before the first was even released.

23. evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 2005
    This is great news! Finally one of the best Star Wars games is getting another sequel!
    [face_dancing]=D=[face_mischief]

Latas

MTFBWYA

Hail To The King!

24. Master-Chief-Kenobi

Master-Chief-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2007
    I actually agree. A single player format gives them much more options for story telling. I really do want to find out what became of Reven and if he has any decendents to look out for. However at the same I really do want a jedi version of WOW. The news of Bioware doing KOTOR3 has me giggling like a schoolgirl.

25. Emperor_Time

Emperor_Time Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2007
    No kidding since the closest thing we got right now is Star Wars Galaxies. [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.