main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars: The Old Republic (Bioware MMO) [Spoilers Allowed]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by SephyCloneNo15, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008

Tulak Hord, hmm? o_O

To quote: If you were to face an ancient Sith lord in combat, you would learn that we are as children playing with toys compared to the prowess of the old masters." - Kreia, KOTOR II.

Unlocking bad-shebs lightsaber moves would be very apropos for an artifact of Hord's creation/relationship ... [face_thinking]

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Speaking of lightsaber moves: I really miss the KotOR/TSL dueling animations. They were so much more satisfying, exciting and cinematic than anything BioWare has done since in terms of melee combat. Maybe I've been watching the wrong videos but I've yet to see anything from TOR (purely in terms of melee) that looks remotely as good.

3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I don't know how the actual game will even be able to look like the trailers to be honest.

When the tank is just standing still and the player not spamming certain hot keys every five seconds? Sure. The default attack animations can obviously be synced with the mob all well and good. But the moment the player is constantly trying to circle around to get a backstab in or whatever? And throw in lag time causing things never to go entirely smoothly?

It's why some of the reviews about the graphics baffle me really, as it's an MMO, so I've never expected Mass Effect.

4. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Speaking of lightsabers, I remember hearing that you can equip some normal blades instead. If possible, I would like to make my Sith character bust out with one of those Sith blades.

5. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Wow... I've just completed Dragon Age 2. I retract all former criticism.

My faith in BioWare has just been restored.

Hopefully TOR will turn out the same. :)

6. Corusca_One

Corusca_One Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Yup if you stick with it, it's a diamond in the (in places, very) rough. It's just such a shame it got rushed out the door and certain aspects suffered so badly for it, almost cost the game far more dearly than it did I think.

I have full confidence in TOR in that regard though, it's obviously (notoriously) had time taken over it in development, rather than a rush job. ME3 is another example of how BioWare seemingly haven't made rushing out titles a rule, with DA2 being the exception.

7. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    SI class video and an accompanying interview:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/starwarstheoldrepublic/news.html?sid=6313544&tag=updates;editor;all;title;1&mode=previews

8. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    All this time, I'd been expecting that my Force-wielding alt was going to be the Jedi Consular, due to my enjoyment of playing a healing class in a MMO. This trailer... just might convince me to try out the Sith side as an alt. Being a scheming character sounds like it could be pretty fun.

9. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    SI companion Khem Val is a former servant of Tulak Hord:

http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/biographies/khem-val

Considering that he "devoured" "over a thousand Jedi" in battle, that would either a)put Tulak Hord in the first generation of the Dark Jedi Exiles in 6900 BBY b)Tulak Hord would have taken part and survived the failed invasion of the Dark Jedi turned into Sith Lords soon after 6900 BBY or c)Khem Val served some other Sith Lord in 5000-4990 BBY. I can't really come up with any other explanation.

10. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Certainly one of the best looking class, that is for sure, and exploring the depths of the dark side does appeal to me.

11. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Interesting, still wanting to see my Massassi and Kissai companion though :p But anyway, it says that Shadow Killer "Devoured over a thousand Jedi at the battles of Yn and Chabosh." I'm assuming those are the battles of the recent Great Galactic War since Tulak Hord I think lived in the era prior to the Great Hyperspace War so Shadow Killer wouldnt have fought any Jedi in that time... unless it was raids which did not reveal the existence of the Sith Empire at the time.

12. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    All the Jedi stuff lately has had me second thinking Inquisitor being my main character to ensure I experience the inevitably canon light side, male human Jedi Knight storyline. But this Khem Val is drawing me back....

EDIT: Okay. That Sith Inquisitor video just sealed the deal. =P~

[face_love] part where she whispers in the guy's ear and vanishes[face_love]

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Or!

Tulak Hord was a Sith between Exar Kun and Revan. Or a Sith between Exar Kun and Naga Sadow, perhaps in the Vultar schism.

14. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Personally, I'd not be against Val's exact age being left unclear to keep him creepy.

Interesting how much Tulak Hord's been mentioned though - the Red Engine quest, now this, etc. It seems like he's going to be one of their go-to characters each time they want to mention something from the ancient Sith Empire.

15. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    Without serious retcons, no. He has a major tomb in the Valley of the Dark Lords and was already considered ancient according to Kreia in KOTOR II. He seems to belong to the Old Sith Empire based on all the evidence we have at the moment.

The Dark Jedi that caused the Vultar Cataclysm in 4250 BBY have never been connected to the Sith.

16. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Matter of time, only a matter of time... amazes me some Sith upstart's not snatched it up already and declared it their achievement. :p

The Sith are a bit like al'Qaeida: if any darksider does something bad, the Sith will immediately jump up and down and go "WE DID IT! WE DID IT! FEAR US!" so that they're the ones getting all the attention. :p

17. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    There's always the possibility of Sith ideas having spread from Onderon, but from the point of view of TOR, a non-Sith Dark Jedi tradition has been hinted at in the Tython previews, and the Dark Jedi of that schism could perhaps be tied to it.

18. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I want another timeline video.

19. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

but that would make the Sith a hidden Old Republican government intelligence agency that creates fake threats to put down to not have people think about internal affairs through inside jobs on government order covered up by the worst propaganda and contradictional tales ever :p

20. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    Like what FBI has been up to again? Well, that's beside the point, but I could imagine that on eras after major Sith conflicts, when the memories are still raw, any episode of random Dark Jedi activity would bring money to Republic's military-industrial complex. In relation to TOR, the Great War and the Cold War must manna from heaven to the Republic's major engineering corporations that produce things for the military. Cold War turning to a warmer peace could have a nasty effect on that industry, like we have seen in the real world. Not that there would be seem to be any need for it thanks to Sith behaviour, but certainly I could imagine a powerful industry lobbying against a real lasting peace between the superpowers.

21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    How intriguing... Yn and Chabosh are in the Atlas. Yn's location is quite curious, as it is around the Inner Rim, nearer Fondor than anywhere else. Chabosh is in the Lahara Sector...

... I'm going to have to assume Tulak Hord was a Sith between Sadow and Kun, because the Sith never ever get that far around the Core - its clear on the wrong side!

22. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

Well, they did get around... remember, while sources show MOST forces defeted and by wars end Sith running or dead, hiding etc. there are people cut off from the main armada like the Lost Tribe Sith... or others going rogue... the galaxy had lots of funny sith to deal with in between Sadow and Kun, but closer to Sadows time that is. cleanup certainly took longer than chasing Sith back to their space and cleansing their worlds their in genocide.

that said, the 10year Hyperspace War we have definitely left if not sith behind then some sith artifacts for others to discover and get seduced to the dark side by some sexy sith holocron strippers :p

So these "Dark Jedi" and Sith-in-name-only might be Vultar Cataclysm responsible as well as be the Sith we need for this stuff. some might have found the hiding Sith while others did not, or the hiding Sith closely watched the galaxy and had their agents at work to create fake-Sith-threats from darksiders akin to Bane era or One Sith of Krayt.

23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    We have found evidence that there were larger structures underground, a veritable ancient fortress... but it appears to have been destroyed. The tombs are all that remain intact.

Well... it seems that the Sith once inhabited Korriban a long time ago. There was a fortress here that was destroyed at some point before the Sith abandoned the planet completely.

Why they left, we don't know. Perhaps the Jedi drove them off. The tombs in this valley are the only parts of the fortress we've found mostly intact.

These tombs we've uncovered are only the tip of an entire ancient Sith fortress. I wonder what happened here?

^^^

I'd kind of like these lines further explored and explained. Particularly in the context of:

Ajunta Pall: We destroyed each other. We desired the secrets of each other, to increase our power... we battled until finally our fortress rained down on top of us.

24. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    Well, it is possible Khem Val killed the Jedi during the Hundred Year Darkness; many theories already point to Tulak Hord being one of the original Dark Jedi anyway, so it is more than possible Val served Hord during his time as a Dark Jedi... and then was sealed in stasis on Korriban sometime after Hord's reign as Dark Lord ended.

25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    But why would he have been sealed inside Naga Sadow's tomb?

That's the big question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.