main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars: The Old Republic (Bioware MMO) [Spoilers Allowed]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by SephyCloneNo15, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    [face_laugh] Good analogy there...

Oh.... I forgot about that little problem that plagued every EU character in Galaxies. [face_worried]

2. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    This just totally made my day. I LOVED Pre-CU/NGE Galaxies.

3. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Is KOTOR 3 still dead, Wolf?

4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Don't forget that they've used the KOTOR name to sell things like the Darth Bane novels.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see KOTOR: Clone Wars. If I do though then its going to confirm that both parts of the name are just to cash in on existing cash cows.

As for the stuff about it being the original SWG team... I will just say: [face_worried]

5. Magnuskn

Magnuskn Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Can you source that? I never heard of that before and I generally try to keep up to date with the topic.

Magnus

6. katriene

katriene Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2008
    Ooof. I'm a rabid KOTOR fan and would love to see any continuation of the story, but as an MMO...one of the many problems that plagued SWG was how restricted it was by being set in such a specific point in the chronology. I haven't played in a long time so they may have worked something out, but it felt like you were spinning your wheels in a 'frozen' universe. One of the appeals of KOTOR was watching your Revan, Exile, and party respond to both your actions and their ramifications. I can't imagine that happening in an MMO, unless all the players were bit parts in an overarching storyline that affected the main characters.

I hadn't heard that about the Bioware/SWG team connection either. Plus I know Sony had a hand in it on some level. Anyways...being the rabid KOTOR fan that I am, I'll be drooling no matter what they throw at me. =P~

7. TuskenTommy

TuskenTommy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2006
    Man CRAP!!! I wanted a BIOWARE MMORPG SOOOO BAD! I loved SWG in it's 1st year - year 1/2.. I was sooo sucked in. I played on radiant w/ about 5 local buds and family.. I dunno if i loved it soo much because it was a new & exciting MMO or because it was soo Star Wars.. I'd never played a MMO prior or after for that matter...But my SWG time is cherrished...

---Why KOTOR 3 over A new SW MMO?? WTElbows!! a NEW Star Wars MMO will last years..KOTOR will last days. Umm??

--KOTOR 3 is guaranteed.. Bioware SW mmo is not. SO wouldn't a BioWare SW MMO be unber exciting? Now we most likely aren't getting a Bioware SW MMO..BAH!

--ALSO, KOTOR 2 was really mediocre compaired to KOTOR 1.. The music was not even close. Who doesn't rememebr how awesome Dantooines music was? i still recall the laid back Portishead type beat...
    ---Kotor 2 was unfinished & it showed. Had it been complete MAN what a game.. Very very deep with the force(facts).. But the Exile just isn't nearly as exciting as a Whole jedi order in operation.. I hated that about KOTOR--2. There's only a handful o' jedi & they're scattered..

--I dunno..I loved KOTOR-2's potential, but i didn't have nearly as much fun.. I also loved how they expanded on the level up stuff like skills and force powers...

---I'm atlast getting a new computer soon & i look forward to playing KOTOR-2 with all the graphics & sound JACKED UP...

--I'm excited about KOTOR-3 but i'm very saddened about NO Bioware SW mmo.. My wife said she would even play a new SW mmo too.. And that's very very rare.. Imagine a wife addicted to a SW mmo game? Look Ma, TOP O' THE WORLD!!

8. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Huh?
    Right now, there isn't anything to suggest that there is a single player KOTOR III on its way. The current rumour is that it's an MMO!

Apart from that, I would hate nothing more than seeing KOTOR turned into an MMO. An MMO in the time period of KOTOR, fine, but not as an replacement for a real KOTOR III with an actual story.

9. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I, for one, second that

10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Thusfar.

There's no reason for that not to change and, as Zor says, PoD is billed as "A Novel of the Old Republic".

I find it highly unlikely that they would make a NSW RPG (MMO or otherwise) and not use the KotOR brand. They'd be utter fools not to.

Edit: And, truthfully, I think the brand should be extended to cover the entire "Old Republic Era" (though not the "Rise of the Empire Era", mind you). It means they'd escape the silly need to make every KotOR game something of a direct sequel to the last even when there's no need, ala KotOR 2.

11. TuskenTommy

TuskenTommy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2006
    I thought it was announced as "in developement"..

- Guess i want my cake & eat it too. I want both..

----Since reading this thread i decided to play KOTOR 1 & 2 again.. Anything different to try?
    -I went Light, then dark, & w/ KOTOR2 i went pistols and used Attin and the good droid. Suggestions for my 4th go round? Maybe dark with pistols or rifles?

12. Magnuskn

Jul 14, 2002
    Still waiting for that sourcing, that the Galaxies team is working for Bioware...

13. The_Flargg

The_Flargg Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 29, 2004
    According to Bioware's website, they are working on an MMO as well as a new colloboration with LucasArts; i.e., these are seperate games.

14. Magnuskn

Jul 14, 2002
    Which is distinctly not the same as "The Star Wars: Galaxies team is working for Bioware on their new MMO". ^^

Magnus

15. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    Ladies and gentlemen: We may have a confirmation. Click

16. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Hopefully this is the real thing...[face_praying]=P~

17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Personally I don't think the "KOTOR MMORPG" is the same as "KOTOR 3".

There were rumours of a Clone Wars based MMORPG at the start of the year. If true, I feel it is more likely to be that, just with the "KOTOR" label slapped on it as well in order to maximise sales and audience exposure.

Star Wars fans? Check.
    KOTOR specific fans? Check.
    Clone Wars specific fans? Check.

I hope I'm wrong. I'd much rather an MMORPG set during the New Sith Wars (though I'd settle for the Jedi Civil War if we got to see more Revan and Malak). I don't want a "KOTOR 3 MMORPG" though for the same reason WoW has ruined WC3 and FT for me.

Lich King killed by 25 random n00bs = the lose. :_|

True Sith killed by 25 random n00bs? Just no. Please, no. [face_praying]

18. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    [face_worried]

I want to be optimistic so badly , but I'm worried this could go the way of Galaxies.

19. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Assuming this is set during the KotOR period we know, I imagine it'll be set in the Jedi Civil War, yeah. That's the KotOR-period in which they can best cash in on the iconic KotOR characters like Darth Revan, Malak and Bastila.

It also means we don't have to worry about major characters getting "pwned", though I wouldn't be surprised if they retconned the way Malak lost his jaw to a group effort. [face_whistling]

Edit: And I'm with you on the Lich King, 100%. Utterly ridiculous! He is to be defeated in Warcraft IV and Warcraft IV alone. :mad:

Edit2:Quick aside. If Revan is featured, and has a voiced role, I hope his mask/helmet gives his voice Vader-style reverb. [face_praying]

20. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Yeah, I really hope that this is just a MMO in the KOTOR era and not KOTOR 3.

21. Master-Chief-Kenobi

Master-Chief-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2007
    I just found out about the new KOTOR MMO. WOOT. this may I stress may tear me away from World of Warcraft. All Bioware has to do is put a Star wars skin on World of Warcraft. Horde vs alliance becomes Jedi vs sith and each zone is it's own seperate planet. That might work. I can't wait for this!!

22. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I hate this thread so much.

Every time I see it back on the first page, my heart leaps into my throat in an involuntary surge of adrenalin and hope. Then I read the latest false alarm, and am once again painfully reminded of what a fool I am. :_|

When it comes to disappointing, this thread never fails to disappoint. :)

23. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    When BioWare's MMORPG is finally released (be it Star Wars or not) the one thing I must say I'm not expecting is a WoW clone. Other companies have been there, done that, given us LotR and soon Warhammer. I pretty much expect BioWare to attempt something revolutionary, since that's just how they do things.

Of course, at the same time, they might play it safe and realise MMORPGs are such untested waters still that apart from the WoW formula nothing else has brought in such massive amounts of money. I just feel BioWare are probably going to want to try and do the "Next Gen MMORPG".

Personally, I'd not be that surprised if they attempted some sort of Mass Effect style MMORPG. It'd be a standard RPG at heart, much like WoW, but with far more FPS based elements, which would appeal to the Halo and other FPS multiplayer junkies. I'd actually be very curious how such a game would work, as we've never seen a MMORPG of that sort before.

ME was a massive step forward in the RPG genre, so a MMORPG based on its style of gameplay could well present a viable alternative to WoW, appeal to a wider audience than just the pure RPG buffs and avoid the "WoW clone" label that Warhammer Online's already got even when it isn't out yet. The only trouble would be working in a decent close combat system to include lightsabers.

24. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Let's just hope it doesn't go down the same road as Galaxies, I can still remember the hype and excitement before it was launched.

25. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, I'm with Zor on this.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a heavy emphasis on a cinematic style quests/story, too.

Though now, I'm thinking... if they set this game in the Jedi Civil War era... will they ban the use of the word "Darth" in character names? S'only supposed to be Revan and Malak after all. [face_whistling]

Heh. The funny thing is, I bet that would tick of loads of people. XD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.