main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars: The Old Republic (Bioware MMO) [Spoilers Allowed]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by SephyCloneNo15, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    This whole thing makes me rather [face_plain] I won't buy it, won't play it, so it has little appeal, especially since the MMO style tends to make it difficult to have good, canon-affecting stories.

- Keralys

2. zegota

zegota Jedi Master star 1

May 19, 2005
    I disagree. WoW was able to be very successful while still adding things to lore. Also, Final Fantasy XI has a well-written, contained story as well.

3. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    All the more reason to set it during the NSW. You have untold numbers of Darths running around for a thousand years. So much happened, and we really don't know much of it, so if you just make the MMO take place in an empty part of the era, they could be free to do almost anything.

And at the same time it wouldn't cramp the style of those of us who want to see a conclusion to KOTOR I and II, but don't want to play an MMO.

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    What was wrong with Galaxies?

5. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    bah.
    I'm not a big fan of MMOs.

I'd much rather them focus on make KOTOR 3. OR Knights of the NEW Republic :)

6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I agree.

STILL, even if the game was set in the NSW, I'd want there to be a special "rule" that was introduced if you named yourself Darth:

"If you entitle yourself 'Darth' your character will be permanently deleted on death. Also, other players recieve double XP for taking you down."

I think that would be a pretty brilliant way of converting what Kas'im said about the claiming of "Darth" into a gameplay feature, and it would be a deterrent for everyone and his uncle taking the title. [face_laugh]

It would also make the majority of Darths *scary powerful* motherkarkers, since few would name themselves as such unless really did have "1337 skillz".

7. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    In addition to no clue what's wrong with Star Wars Galaxies, I hope this is the third and final installment of Knights of the Old Republic. I think that they should have simply done the end of Reven as an expansion pack because I'd hate a THIRD game where I have to start as someone I barely know and I slowly find out the history for following in the footsteps of the original two. It was bad enough with the Exile.

Better to not have any game whatsoever and leave it in mystery or do this.

8. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Thracken Sal-Solo. Though, they fixed him recently ...or not.

9. GoA

GoA Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2007
    I hope they don't finish off the "Revan/Exile" storyline through this MMO.

KOTOR was fantastic because of its story(s). MMOs don't translate as well into storytelling.

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    It wasn't fun.

I started playing it when it first started, and I didn't really know anything about the EU. I didn't give a damn what species Zekka Thyne was or what skin color Moff Declann had. The game had great graphics for an MMO, but it lagged like hell no matter what computer I was using and grinding was the pits. It was pretty much just "Hi, I'm so-and-so, go kill 50 sand fleas for me" at every NPC. There was no story! And there were what.. three different building interiors in the whole game?

I canceled Galaxies after the trial and played WoW for a time, which has horrendously goofy cartoon graphics but doesn't lag (at least for me) and has clever, creative quests and tons of different environments. After becoming an EU junkie I tried to play Galaxies again for about a year, and it still hadn't improved at all. After a while I was only playing it so I could see Thrawn. (Which turned out something like "Hi, I'm Thrawn, go kill 50 sand flees for me.")

:rolleyes:

Hmph. Anyway. I really hope LA learned from their mistakes in Galaxies. Although they never seemed to admit they had any to begin with.

11. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Sand Fleas, you say? They wouldn't happen to be related to sand flies, would they?

http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0127.html

Valorum detests them! (And now you've made that post, I half-hope he gives Jim and Ben a quest to kill fifty of them)

12. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    [No Echo here. Move along [face_blush] ]

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Is there an echo in here?

14. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    I agree too. There is nothing so annoying then meeting the umpteenth player named "Darth."

I personally think there should either be a ban on the Darth title, or you only get it if you are a Dark-Jedi and you have reached a certain level. That way when you do meet with a "Darth," they will have earned that title and they will be as powerful as that title is supposed to suggest.

15. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    [Nothing to see here. Move along.]

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    My memory must be slipping. Of course, they were flies! I can't tell you how many times I was sucked dry in the grinding process... :p

17. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Apart from the initial fanboyish reaction of galaxies (Holy Sith nuggets! They're STORMTROOPERS!) it got very old for me very quickly.

Hopefully they'll learn from their mistakes, but what interests me is how they're going to the Jedi and the Mandy's without running into them every five minutes.

18. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    That would work for me too, though I like the idea of working in Kas'im's explanation for the Darth title into a gameplay feature.

Nah. Every dedicated player of an MMO - and there are many - max out their character's levels eventually. We'd have a whole slew of Darths, and that just wouldn't be good.

19. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    BUMP.

(Zorrixor, use the "This Forum" google search just under the banner ;))

20. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    I'd say the Darth answer is simple. Make it like the PvP titles in WoW. Chances are you'll have to have a max-level character and be a monster in PvP to get it.

Yeah, it sucks that the only people to get the title will be powergaming 12 year olds that play for eight hours a day, but quite frankly, it's not like there's ever going to be a way to use that title that'll make people happy. They may be best just banning it outright, but somehow I doubt that'll happen. It's too much of a "carrot" to dangle in front of players for an endgame scenario.

However what I find interesting is that the article references that "It will have a Multiplayer Online Component to it." I don't want to get my hopes up, but that almost sounds as though there might be a single-player offline component to it, as well....

21. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Ohh.... :oops:

I've always only ever noticed the "Search" button / box along the nav panel... and always found that neither seem to work. I didn't think about trying the Google thing. Doh.

22. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    I think there's a relatively easy way of allowing large number of Darths - just put the end-game stuff to happen during the first or second Sith Civil War. Those would be good excuses why there are lots of Darths running around, Darths which history then forgot - they were just wannabe Dark Lords, basically. One would have to have PvP possibility between Sith of course. And one could have Darth Revan and Darth Malak still in the game if the early part of the game would happen during earlier in KOTOR era, being the kind of later restricted zone which some MMOs employ - no going back later.

23. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I agree that the easiest place to do things would be the Dark Wars. The Jedi Civil War has a lot more rules as far as the Sith Order goes, the Dark Wars is wide open for interpretation.

However, I am starting to doubt whether they would bother including the Darth title. What would be the Republic side's equivalent? Would Jedi characters get Grand Master? I'm just not really sure if there is something to balance it out.

The more I think about it, the more I actually think the Mandalorian Wars could be a better setting. It would mean being able to play as Jedi or Dark Jedi, but not Sith; leaving the Sith to remain rare and mysterious, just the few Kunite remnants like Haazen, serving as the bad guys who could be fought by either the Jedi or Dark Jedi factions.

If the talk of "multiplayer component" is accurate though, and there is a "singleplayer component" to go along side it, then presumably the MMORPG element would share the time frame of the KOTOR3 element, so who knows what that period would be like.

24. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Having it during the Mandalorian Wars would make those Fandalorians cream their pants, as long as there weren't too many Mandys.

25. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Depends in a way.

On one hand, I feel a Mandalorian class would be inevitable, unless the idea was for everyone to be a Jedi, just some Jedi healers, other Jedi battlemasters, sentinels, etc.

On the other hand, not making Mandalorians a playable class would allow them keep the Mandalorians as an enemy (similar to what I wrote above about the Sith) which could be opposed by both the Jedi and Dark Jedi factions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.