main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Star Wars: The Old Republic Discussion Thread [Mod Approved]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Master Kenobiwan, Sep 22, 2013.

1. PartyHans

PartyHans Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2014
    No one who can help me? :/

2. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    Sorry mate, all I can suggest is running a repair (click the little cog after you log in on the launcher) or reinstalling. Maybe look into getting the non-streaming launcher/patcher/client (whatever the correct term is) since the one that streams (which is what you get when you download from swtor.com now) caused me untold numbers of issues. It takes a bit of work and you have to do a full uninstall/reinstall but I find it's worth it.

3. ayures

ayures Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 24, 2014
    I might start playing again soon (haven't played since a month or two after release). Has all the space combat been replaced with the new system or are the regular missions still that horrible shooter on rails?

4. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    Question: I've just started playing TOR, but I've done my research and know how most things work. What I'm wondering is, can a sith warrior romance Vette and still be dark-sided? I know she's the "light side" option for male characters to romance, but is that just in decisions related to her, or across the board force allegiance? I don't really care for being 100% make every dark side decision. I just want to be predominantly dark sided.

5. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    I believe you can still romance Vette, but don't quote me on that as I've only done a pure dark female Sith. I think her romance is triggered more by how you treat her than your alignment, she even approves of certain dark choices.

Sent from my X-wing via R2-J6

6. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    It's based entirely on affection points, right? Another question so I can plan ahead: Do decisions made influence affection points for companions not currently with you? I think it may be possible to keep her elsewhere when I want to rack up dark side points.

7. awefc

awefc Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2014
    ive seen some clips on you tube of it, is it as good as people say it is? is it like kotor?

8. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    I think it depends... If you are on your ship then yes, but to be honest just buy gifts and spam them, they're cheap enough.

9. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    I always swapped companions out when they gave negative points, across all my characters because gifts are expensive. Except leading up to bosses where I need a specific one. Only situations I know you still lose/gain points is on your ship (ie holo communicator chats) and if you have no companion out - you'll lose/gain points for whoever you had out last.

10. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    I don't know if it's just early game or it persists, but whenever I choose dark side options that displease her it usually subtracts only 1-3 or so affection points, as opposed to light side actions she likes that typically give 12-35 points. I could still find balance I suppose. I'm doing it as a challenge, like how in the lore Malgus was in love with what's her name who tried to see good in him, until he killed her when he realized she was his weakness.

11. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Affection points matter to unlock companion quests, so as long as you get more from gifts you're fine. Quinn didn't always like my pure dark Sith's choices so I bribed him with gifts :p You get used to it, I've often had to do that for romances, and generally to get to the end of all the companion stories.

12. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    The good old question: If I am interested exclusively on the story (obviously in relevant flashbacks too, like the old Revan one), can this game be played free to play or not? More exactly, what 'parts of the game' I need to buy and are there any limits when I play the story (like not levelling you up enough to go into an another planet despite that you've done all the missions on that planet)?

Can I also decide to pay the monthly fee whenever I want (for example I want to play this month so I pay, then I don't have time to play next month so I don't pay and then I want to return back on December so I pay for December)?

And finally, are the DLC (whatever are called in this game, like the new one which will be released soon enough with Revan going mad and trying to kill everyone) purchasable for the F2P gamers?

13. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    You can access all story quests from 1-50, but only 3 flashpoints per week, which is where the first Revan story is (The Foundry/Maelstrom Prison). You also only get 2 character slots, which I found the biggest limiting issue with f2p. I personally found levelling is difficult as a full f2p, especially if you're new and don't know good levelling methods BUT if you do all missions, all bonuses and bonus quests (if you're not sure if you got them all or what order to do them in, there's about a billion guides out there), use the xp boost items well, and take advantage of your limited flashpoints and warzones each week if you're falling behind, you should be pretty well on track planet to planet, the big issue is having enough credits to buy abilities and gear up. I recommend bumping up to preferred if you're serious about playing regularly, it's a minimum $5 purchase of cartel coins or buying a sub at least once, and you get more character slots, you get access to general chat, get a cargo hold, sprint from level 1, 2 more quickbars, a higher credit max, trading, etc. I find preferred is a really great balance of f2p and subbed, but I'd take a look at the comparison yourself.

Sort of. You seem to only be able to buy 2 months at a time (I tried to buy only 1 month with a recurring sub and then immediately cancelling, and it still gave me 2 months).

Expansions. You automatically get RotHC if you sub even once, and SoR, the new one, buying it should auto-bump you to preferred, since they stick you in preferred status for basically any money spent. But yes you can play them without a subscription, once you've bought them.

14. TheRevanchist

Dec 13, 2012
    Cheers for the reply! I guess that I'll stick to free to play for some time (played only a couple of hours today and didn't liked it that much, despite that I am a big fan of Kotor) and then most likely get the new big expansion (which should automatically give me RotHC expansion and apparently 12X leveling). The problem for me is that still not sure that I'll play it regularly and with Dragon Age: Inquisition coming next month, maybe this has to wait.

Edit: Apparently 12X faster XP is only for subsribers. Shame!

15. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    The 12x leveling is only for the pre-order period, at least to my knowledge. I've found that Free to play is basically playing the game stuck in hard mode. It can be played from start to finish with most (but not all) features available, but you're hit by things such as a reduced xp gain point, having to pay credits for what's free to subscribers, limited gui customization., etc. Basically, a free to play user at level 50 holds more weight than a subscriber at the same level.

16. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    It is not reduced xp. That's actually the original xp gain pre-f2p. After having f2p options, they added a 2x xp gain (the rest xp) for subs, which subs only get if they stick around in rest areas and only applies to combat xp, not mission turn-ins.

17. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    from level 20 onwards, f2p users have a universal xp gain reduction. I'm not sure how much, but it can't be too much because I hardly noticed. Needless to say, free 2 play is harder, but not terribly so. There's some subscriber perks that give you access to a few extra stuff, but most just make the game easier. The hardest aspect of free 2 play I've faced honestly is the resentment of other players. At least where I play.

18. TheRevanchist

Dec 13, 2012
    I think it is until 15th of December or so. My problem is that I am much more interested on Dragon Age Inquisition so I know that from the moment I get that game I won't be able to play TOR. Planning to subscribe later though, but it means that I'll lose all those 12x leveling which would have made my life easier and won't torment me by playing all the stupid side missions.

From what I've read, subscribers get 25% XP (from level 20). It looks though that you can manage well on F2P if you do all the side missions (including kill x amount of something). It is a bit annoying doing all that stuff, but that;s the life if you don't play.
    Anyway, this game seems to be huge. I am at the level 14 and I think that I have played for more than 10 hours and still I am at Corruscant (probably not even at half of the story there). So, still at Prologue. I guess there are around 100 hours or so for class story.

Btw, which class stories are the best? Playing Jedi Knight currently and it seems very KOTOR-ish. I plan to play next a class from the Empire but no idea which. Heard that the Imperial Agent is the best.

19. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    I know I'm one of the rare few who's nice to newbies and f2pers. I mean, I was one once, and while I bought a lot of perks I'm not always subbed. The attitude sucks, which is why I rarely play group missions unless I can solo them or reeeeally want the gear. Or on rare occasions find someone really nice.

I'm a completionist so I don't mind side missions and bonus quests - except on pub Taris. Can't get off that planet soon enough. I always overlevel before hitting pub Taris (which is right after Coruscant) because it is painful. More than any other planet.

Okay, here is Becca's "will give you the same answer every time regarding classes" recommendations:

While I've only finished chapter 1 of the Knight class, it is absolutely very KOTOR - someone told me it's the closest story we'll probably get to a KOTOR 3. Consular has a great ch1 but slows down considerably in ch2 & 3, though I still really enjoyed it. Smuggler is pretty straightforward, kind of what you'd expect in that you're not really independent, the class is sold as a Pub class. Trooper is veeeeeery reminiscent of the style of Mass Effect, if you've played that, though with more oversight (go here, do this), but even more like ME if you play a female Trooper like I did, it's the same voice actress and she delivers lines the same way as a femShep. I found the companions for the Trooper the best "team" as the other classes are kind of haphazard while the Trooper has a squad. Definitely the most underrated story.

Empire side, Sith warrior is by far my favourite storyline I've completed. There wasn't a moment I was bored, don't even know how to describe it without spoilers. Definitely one I'll be replaying. Inquisitor is very interesting as well, though I've only played to Corellia (and haven't had the internet to play since :( ). Much more sneaking and Sith alchemy sort of stuff than the warrior who's more straight up let's-go-hit-things. Same kind of as the comparison of knight to consular, knight and warrior are very action-oriented while the consular and inquisitor are a bit more... political. Bounty Hunter is the class I've played the least of, I hear the storyline is a bit boring (I'm enjoying it but I'm not even done ch1) because it's all "go there, kill guy, repeat" through all 3 chapters. But at least you look/feel like a bad*ss. Agent I haven't finished either, into ch2, but I found the first few planets were kind of slow. After that it really picked up and I can see it's going to be incredible.

Also good to be aware that the classes are "mirrored"- knight/warrior have the same combat, consular/inquisitor, smuggler/agent, trooper/hunter. But the weaponry is different, even if the adv. classes are pretty much the same, like how my trooper carries a massive assault cannon and the hunters can't :p

TheRevanchist likes this.
  20. TheRevanchist

Dec 13, 2012
    Cheers Rebecca! Would love to play all of the classes but I don't have that much time for gaming and also there are a lot of good games coming. But maybe, during the next 3 years or so (if TOR will be alive till then) I would be able to play all the stories.

21. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    In Urgent need of help:

The in-game ticket system and using the website's forum are not allowed for free 2 play users, so I ask here:

I was performing the sith warrior story mission, "Guru in the desert." In the mission, your companion is incapacitated so you have to fight the boss alone. However, I discovered I was underprepared for this and was defeated. Since the mission is still in effect, I was still unable to have a companion or modify my ship. I was given the suggestion to reset the mission. I did, but still don't have a companion. I geared up and managed to finally beat the boss and complete the mission, but I STILL don't have access to a companion. How can this be fixed? It's considered a game-breaking bug but no help is offered.

22. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Ouch, I wouldn't have reset, resetting can cause all sorts of bugs. I remember that mission, I kind of cheated. Killed one, left the instance, came back fully powered for the second :p

The little lock symbol is still on the companion slot in the GUI or is it gone altogether? Have you tried logging out and in, or loading a new planet? Can you call any of them from the crew skills page (press N)? I don't really know what happened, but I vaguely remember a brief issue where I couldn't call Quinn (I was a juggernaut tank and relied on him) but it just needed a bit of "try everything... twice". I know these are basically the "turn it off and on again" of swtor but it's a good first step.

23. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    I resolved the issued with an embarrassingly simple solution. Pressing "n" (default controls) opens the companion manager. Able to recall the companion of my choosing from there.

Rebecca_Daniels likes this.
  24. KyleSev

KyleSev Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2014
    I personally enjoy SWTOR. It has its faults but its the only mmo that makes me put up with the level grind I normally hate for the story.

Jedi_Matt likes this.
  25. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Kyleev - I agree, I'm normally bored as hell otherwise.

I made the mistake of going straight into a warzone after logging in for the first time post update. I had very little skills to utilise and I think I finished second bottom of the ladder as a result. 6-0 Huttball loss :(