main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars - The Old Republic (MMO - PC)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by SoloCommand, Jul 17, 2008.

1. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    I'm going to space this out and put some important articles in here

So far, the game has only been confirmed for PC, but if it get announced for consoles, I'll change the thread title.

Originally: KOTOR MMO - Official Thread

Now officially confirmed. Speculation over.

Originally from [link=http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/the-tech-observer/2008/07/17/ea-to-play-in-knights-of-the-old-republic]portfolio.com[/link] where EA's Chief Executive John Riccitiello claims that EA's Warhammer MMO and KOTOR MMO will be the biggest things ever.

Subsequently reported on:
    [link=http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/07/17/riccitiello-confirms-kotor-mmo-from-bioware/]videogaming247.com[/link]
    [link=http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/07/17/knights-of-the-online-republic-kotor-mmo-is-go/#more-2150]rockpapershotgun.com[/link]
    [link=http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Has_A_KOTOR_MMO_Been_Confirmed_116148.asp]theforce.net[/link]
    [link=http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6194664.html?tag=result;title;0]gamespot.com[/link]
    [link=http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/891/891718p1.html]ign.com[/link]

EA/Bioware are developing for LucasArts. They want it to rival World of Warcraft.
    After all the time I spent locking the "omg kotor 2 will there be a kotor 3" threads, i'm glad that they've finally let the cat out of the bag, and personally look forward to seeing news on the game trickle out from here on in.

2. Dreossk

Dreossk Jedi Master star 1

May 2, 2008
    Best news of the last years ! Oh and as I already said in the other thread, I found that the name will be The Old Republic, not Knights of the Old Republic, if you want to correct the title.

3. darth_grievous1

darth_grievous1 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2004
    Interesting, but I hope this is separate from KotOR III (MMOs won't be in the budget for a while). Still, excellent news.

4. Jill_Beans

Jill_Beans Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2008
    I agree. I'm not a fan of MMOs and probably won't purchase it, but I'm glad there is something brewing in the KOTOR era. Anyway, it would be insane for lucasarts not to make KOTOR III, just for $$$ reasons alone...

5. Dreossk

Dreossk Jedi Master star 1

May 2, 2008
    They'll make a lot more money with a MMORPG and as a SWG and KotOR former player I can say that SWG was more interesting and a lot, lot longer than a simple RPG. It's a normal evolution.

6. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I don't know how I feel about the MMO. I mean, I don't have Xbox live and I'm not exactly willing to pay for online multiplayer if they make a PC version. If you don't have to pay monthly like galaxies, then I'll buy it for sure.

Either way, I'm just glad it's finally been confirmed. If they are making another one, thats just another SW game and theres nothing wrong with that. Also, this ends, like SoloCommand said, all the annoying KOTOR III threads that having been popping up more and more in the last weeks.

7. darth_grievous1

darth_grievous1 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2004
    That's my plan. I don't want to pay a monthly fee to play something I payed $50.00 for, so if they go the Guild Wars route, I'm cool, otherwise, no sale.

8. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Dammit. I thought I was out of the MMO game for good, and they had to go and do this.

Thank Christ they confirmed it, instead of boning me over. And BioWare? Holy hell.

9. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    turn based combat in an MMO, that will be fun :)

10. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I envision it will be more like Mass Effect.

11. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    You go ahead and keep on envisioning Vivec.

I'm sorry, I hate to be so negative, but if this is KotOR III I'm done with the series. I for one can not comprehend how they can take the cliffhanger at the end of II and make it into a MMORPG. It just..... doesn't work. I have been waiting patiently for KotOR III for years, and I would rather keep on waiting, then have this be what we get.

12. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Apparently this is called The Old Republic which could just be a shortened name for it while it's in production, but I'm hoping this is a different game all together. It would be cool to kinda have a galaxies thing, with no monthly fee, and have it based within the old Republic. But I don't think this is Knights of the Old Republic, because I don't see how a KOTOR game could be a MMO.

13. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    It's not KOTOR 3. Bioware said they're not ever going to be working on KOTOR 3. Most likely, Obsidian will.

14. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I'm not going to pass judgment on this new game until we get more info on it. But I would much prefer a true KOTOR3 than a new Star Wars MMO.

15. HK-99

HK-99 Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2008
    Well, the article states that: "[the game] will most certainly have a massively multiplayer online component to it." Does 'component' not imply that only part of the game will be based around MMO gameplay?

In my opinion, this, and the fact that "BioWare's vision is to deliver the best story-driven games in the world" (from bioware.com) imply that one of two things could occur:
    One, this game will be part MMO, part SPRPG. Maybe you could enter a MMO world after finishing the singleplayer, story-oriented component, or maybe it is just separate completely, albeit set in the same era.
    Two, the KotOR MMO is a spinoff of the KotOR series, and we'll see a KotOR III game sometime in the future.

Or maybe EA is just ruining a perfectly good SPRPG Franchise, it is not unlike them.

Personally, I'm hoping that somewhere there will be a singleplayer aspect to it, I mean, KotOR just won't be KotOR if it was like WoW, won't it?

Regardless, this is good news at its best.

16. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Apparently this has been known for quite some time in the industry.

I've heard it's NOT KOTOR 3 at all, but a MMO set in the Old Republic galaxy. Their Austin studio is working on it, the Edmonton studio is working on something non-SW related.

AI've heard confirmation they aren't working on KOTOR3.

17. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I don't want this. I want a KOTOR 3 RPG, not an MMO.

18. IGL

IGL Jedi Youngling

Jul 17, 2008

Actually, for the astute observer, it's been well known even to the public for some time. Back in 2007 LucasArts and Bioware announced they were working on an online game together, and it seemed obvious to all that this would be a KoTOR MMO, but nothing was officially confirmed at the time. So when EA officially gave the nod to these rumors, it really didn't surprise some people.

19. HK-99

HK-99 Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2008
    Whence does this information come?

20. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    From the voices in his head.

21. Sith_UK

Sith_UK Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    It looks interesting. I think the ending of KOTOR II was rubbish anyway so a change in direction is not always a bad thing. I still want KOTOR III to be produced but the MMO development will be interesting to see.

22. DocRevan

DocRevan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2008
    IMO, KOTOR MMO is KOTOR 3. Reposting a post I made in the KOTOR 3 thread.

I just don't think Bioware would make another KOTOR game without advancing the story. This isn't just some run-of-the-mill developer, it's Bioware, the guys who invented KOTOR.

If you're still not convinced, just read this.

The original press release, which we know now to be about the MMO

They seem very focused on making a compelling story.

23. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    It could be a bit like the situation like World of Warcraft where the MMO heavily utilizes lore from the previous games and even lets you take part in playing bits from previous games. I don't think many fans of the game really anticipate Blizzard making a sequal any time soon.
    Similarly, if it's the case that this game involves taking part in the Republic/Sith war, lets you train to be a Jedi, and then offers you high-level missions tracking down Revan and the Exile, I think we can expect that LucasArts/Bioware/EA intend to make this game tie up the story of the previous KOTOR titles and will be in all but name KOTOR 3.

24. EmperorPL

EmperorPL Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2008
    This is for people who won't shut the f... up, and keep complain about MMO. IT IS NOT KotOR 3!!!!!!!
    You can see here:
    http://elguittarus.free.fr/theoldrepublic.png

It's registered as Online video game

Also Lucasarts registered another 2 trademarks - Star Wars Sagas and Star Wars Legends.

People should be happy that we get any KotOR game at all! Bioware doesn't make boring, poor games :mad:

25. Histeria

Histeria Jedi Youngling

Apr 1, 2005
    As I understand it, other players often make decent games poor if they are MMO. Therein lies people's problem with it. How can you have the immersion in plot and character you got in Kotor 1 and 2 if you're being called a noob by some fat fingered schoolchild in another country?

I not happy "that we get ant KotOR game at all" as neither I nor my missus (who is the serious KotOR gamer in our house) have any interest in an MMO. I'm thrilled for people who are happy to have this, but it's a very disappointing for me (and it seems many others) who were hoping for a KOTOR game with a Mass Effect engine.