main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars - The Old Republic (MMO - PC)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by SoloCommand, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    I think the concern is that you get a lot of money frontloaded but if you don't keep a steady growth of sub fees going, you can start to run short on money.

The normal fee for lifetime that I've seen has been $199 or $299. Depends on whether or not they're doing any special promotions.

2. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    I like EVE Online's model. Pay a monthly fee, but all expansions are free to download. It's had some massive content expansions over the years, so it's nice to feel like your fee is going somewhere tangible. I don't play it anymore though, but that was more to do with me moving on than the monthly fee.

I see TOR going the tried and tested monthly fee/paid expansion route. They'll probably experiment with microtransactions, and expand upon that depending on how successfull it'll be.

3. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I figure they'll probably use the monthly sub model too.

4. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    It's certainly been the most successful model if WoW is any indication.

5. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    It's a successful model but I think it will eventually change.

BTW, a video was posted on the making of Coruscant today.

6. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    As a launch Guild Wars player I can say that I don't agree with the monthly subscription fee as the way to go. GW has been free since it was released back in 05 (I think it was 05)and it has since released 2 different campaigns and a dungeon expansion each year. GWII is offering the same free gameplay aspect that the first successfully pulled off. GW has only recently lost player base because of Aion. Aion it self is another subscription game that is bound to flop like most of all MMORPGs you pay for. I mean $20 a month? I already see people trying to get rid of their games/accounts. That is just too much to play a game, come on.

People will pay to play a game, sure... if it's good. If it is bad, and let's be honest chances are better it will suck than it will be good, it will die just months after launch. Just look at some of the fail pay-to-play games in recent history... Galaxies, Tabula Rasa, Age of Conan, Warhammer, I can go on, I know I missed some goodies. Phail. WoW is the only exception I can think of, it has been successful and people still pay to play it with no sign of letting up. There are plenty of games that have been around for ages that are still pay-to-play (EVE, EQ, etc) but how successful were they, does a significant number still play them, did they make money? I can't say either way as I have never played most of them, but I can say I will NEVER pay a monthly subscription to play a game. I just cannot justify spending hundred of dollars a year to play a video game. Ridiculous.

7. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I read a good article about that and the main premise was that as we go forward companies need to find better ways to make their game more accessible. With the monthly model you can't exactly go and come as you please. You can't try out new games all that easily. If the games are F2P with MT for content, it makes the games more accessible.

8. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
  9. Edgeorge

Edgeorge Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 25, 2008
    Q:
    Who are going to be the main characters of the game? Is your player going to be the main character, or are there standard NPC who are the main characters of the game? For example,
    is there going to be a villain like the Sith in the Deceived trailer and a Jedi who is his main adversary, (like Luke and Vader) or are YOU, your player, the main character of the game?

10. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Balmorra? [face_thinking] Kinda sounds like Balmora from The Elder Scrolls.

11. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Could be...

[face_thinking]

My guess is both. Your toons will be main players in the universe and you'll interact with npc's who are main players in the universe.

12. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    This game has fail written all over it, monthly fee or not.

Playerbase is everything. Its hard enuf for an MMO to reach the casual gamer and power gamer alike, in the case of Star Wars it will be impossible.

(Your name here) was just killed by "Obi-pwn Kenobi"!!

All of the drama that the story hopes to create, will be lost in the grinding for gear and leveling up. Why not just make Battlefront 3 already so we can avoid the timesink.

Why is it so difficult to be objective here. Take your "square peg" experience with Star Wars fans, and cram it in the "round hole" experience you have had with MMOs.....What do you get?

A really really cool game trailer!

13. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    Ho ho hum mmos are for (a pile of wood) this will never be a good gaem give me kotor3/bf3

14. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    It might suck because it's too single player focused. I'll wait until I can play it before I pass judgment on it.

15. Darth_Tristis

Darth_Tristis Jedi Youngling

Oct 27, 2009
    This is definitely going to be an interesting game, nonetheless. At first I didn't have much interest in it (it being another subscription-based MMO) but after reading up on it I'm actually very interested to see how an MMO that focuses on the single-player's story plays out. And Sith Warrior all the way. Even though the Force Lightning looks a little weak at the moment, from what the Sith Warrior video shows :/

16. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I hope the other classes are badass. If not, all you'll see are Jedi and Sith.

17. -polymath-

Jun 7, 2007
    Based on what I've see so far, I am totally planning on rolling a Smuggler as my main toon.

18. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Right now I'm planning on rolling a Trooper and Sith Warrior.

19. -polymath-

Jun 7, 2007
    Jedi Knight reveal at TOR site...

20. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Look like a pretty cool class to play.

21. Cash_Fendar

Cash_Fendar Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 2009
    Is this game strictly a PC game, or will it be available on other platforms as well? If so when does it come out?

22. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I've only heard about PC thus far but I wouldn't rule out an Xbox 360 release as well.

The closed beta is coming soon so hopefully we'll get this game some time next summer.

23. -polymath-

Jun 7, 2007
  24. RedKenobi

RedKenobi Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2009
    i dont think this game will be that good...they need me on the star wars team, id make the illest game

25. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Looks like a pretty sweet class.