main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars - The Old Republic (MMO - PC)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by SoloCommand, Jul 17, 2008.

1. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Yeah, some of the screenies look like they're built of badassery.

2. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    Stealth/tech classes are usually a lot of fun to play once you master them. They can be a little daunting at first though.

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Single player focused is what would make this game good.

4. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    It would be great for the players who primarily like to solo. Not so much for the groupers.

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Considering the number one fear about TOR was that it was an MMO, I think most of the fans are solo-ers (lol), wouldn't you agree?

6. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I have no doubt of that.

7. Mister_Master

Mister_Master Jedi Master star 6

Oct 17, 2007
    I think making it so that you can go single if you want is good. One of my problems with Galaxy was the fact that no one would group with me because they were all level 100 and I was level 12. So a lot of the time I just did stuff alone. Now it isn't always that fun, but it would be nicer if the characters were better at singling.

8. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Yeah, that tends to happen as games get older. I hope they can strike a nice balance between solo and group content.

9. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    It appears that the final two playable classes are confirmed as Jedi Consular and Sith Inquisitor.

Source: gamespy.com link to TOR forums.

10. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    That's pretty interesting. I'm surprised they're going two sith and jedi classes.

11. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Makes sense. They probably guess most people will pick the Jedi or Sith anyway, so it's probably best to spread it out to keep the game balanced.

12. Jedijake2010

Jedijake2010 Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2008
    Every single class available for TOR intrigues me. The one that I am the least interested in is the Imperial Agent. And even that sounds pretty sweet. I'm going to have a hard time choosing a class.

13. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    The Inquisitor could be a lot of fun to play. Definitely looking forward to the write ups on these classes after Thanksgiving.

14. Kurtmajister

Kurtmajister Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2004
    Looks like they've just announced Alderaan as another planet!

Have Lucasarts/Bioware yet announced how many planets will be in the game in total, including the 7 known ones?

15. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I'm not an MMO person but I'm getting a little excited for this. I would love to run around Alderaan.

16. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    This probably won't be a traditional MMO so you should definitely enjoy the game.

17. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Force sensitive classes will have both Force sensitive and non- Force sensitive companions. Non- Force sensitive
    classes will have at least non- Force sensitive companions, but what intrigues me is whether they can have also
    Force sensitive companions - which, I think, would be only fair, but might cause some problems, like every trooper
    having a Jedi on their side, even if just a Jedi apprentice. But, if they want to make the Smuggler feel like Han
    Solo, doesn't he need not only a Chewbacca-like companion, but also a Luke-like companion?

Also, if one considers PvP (which there is likely to be some amount), shouldn't for the sake of balance the non- Force
    sensitive have their own Force sensitive companions (although not necessarily Jedi or Sith, but equivalents, like some
    other Force tradition for the Trooper and Smuggler or a Dark Jedi for the Imperial Agent and Bounty Hunter?

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    KILLIKS!

That's all I care about.

And want.

GIVE ME KILLIKS!

Incidentally, I'm excited now.

19. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
  20. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    I'm currently debating whether or not to get this. For starters, this'd be my first MMORPG aside from a brief foray into Runescape; for another, I just generally suck at multiplayer games, so I'm not exactly looking forward to more people calling me a n00b (though, I will admit that one time in Runescape where I responded 'And your point is?' and the other guy just walked off WAS pretty hilarious!).

On the other hand, I really, really want to see what happens in this game, and being such a huge KOTOR fan, I almost can't NOT get it...

Urgh. It's a real toughie...

21. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Best thing I can tell you is to wait until the open beta starts. Play the game for a bit and see how you like it.

22. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Thanks for the advice! I'll look into it. ;)

23. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Hopefully we get the open beta around the end of the summer, if not before then. I expect closed beta to start in the next couple months.

24. Dark_Lord_ofthe_Sith

Dark_Lord_ofthe_Sith Jedi Master star 2

Jul 24, 2004
    Doesn't open beta usually start a few weeks before an MMO's launch? There's no way it will start at the end of the Summer, since their target launch window is Spring 2011.

25. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    It depends on how long they want the beta to go.