main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends ~~::| STAR WARS: The Shadow of the Sith - A Gothic Novel |::~~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LordDarthUmbrus, Oct 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMaidofOrleans

TheMaidofOrleans Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2005
    An interesting story and so right for this time of the year.

This Umbrus must be that galaxy's Count Dracula.

I look forward in great anticipation to future chapters.

I see the person above me is Pashatemur. I've also read your autobiography of Darth Vader and hoping you will continue the story.

2. Alion_Sangre

Alion_Sangre Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Spooked? Very. Methinks Ben should have his hero-issue "Creepy Bad Guy" sensor system wailing at full pitch right now. Excellent take on the Sith; I'll be intrigued to see what your namesake character has in mind for young Skywalker. [face_thinking]

3. LadyZaraMarta

LadyZaraMarta Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2004
    You have me hooked, LDU!

Bravo!=D=

Looking forward to your next chapter...soon I hope!

4. LordDarthUmbrus

LordDarthUmbrus Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments! I very much appreciate them. They encourage me to continue.

LZM, my goal is to post a new episode every week on Friday or on every Saturday at the latest . . . barring Darth Real Life.

Thanks again everyone!

[color=green][i][b]More to Come . . . Stay Tuned[/b][/i][/color]

5. darkjedi8906

darkjedi8906 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 15, 2004
    wow, LDU I'm hooked i'll be keeping an eye on this novel of yours most likely print it and slam it in a binder enxt to JWs Revenge novel

6. LordDarthDevaious

LordDarthDevaious Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2005
    I'm thinking this might be BETTER than Titus' work. That was the best bit of writing I have ever read!!!!!!!! Very great post, my Lord.

7. LordDarthUmbrus

Sep 24, 2004
    Part 5 ? Dinner with the Viceroy

Ben obediently crept up the stairs behind the dark Viceroy. Each step seemed to become heavier as he pressed forward. Ben was deeply uncomfortable about this situation for some reason. The surroundings, the situation, the Viceroy all seemed to work on the darker parts of his consciousness inspiring fear and dread.

But, Ben had a mission and he had to take courage to complete it. Much depended on his establishing a good relationship with the Umbarans. It was apparent that they would be a great asset to the Galactic Alliance, an organization currently without many assets. They had a rich civilization with many things going for it, most importantly their stealth technology. Ben had to impress the Viceroy and he had to get him to sign the documents given him by the Minister . . . no matter how he personally felt about where he was or who he was with.

Ben noticed the fact that the Viceroy did not seem to have any attendants standing around. The Minister had many to attend him and he must have been of far less social stature than Lord Umbrus. So, where was the Viceroy?s staff?

With these doubts running through Ben?s head he entered an odd shaped room that was intimate in its surroundings. It was true what the Viceroy had said, the accommodations here in this room were far superior to the dank cellar that passed for his foyer.

A deep winged chair sat across from another flanking a roaring fire in a huge and ornately carved fireplace. A lovely patterned carpet lay upon the floor.

The whisper of the Viceroy?s black robes were slightly masked by the quiet rush and crackle of the fire, but the sound was still claustrophobically close in the room. Ben found that despite the fire, he still felt quite cold. It was a cold that must have seeped into his bones. He longed to sit next to that fire and find his limbs again.

The Viceroy granted Ben?s unspoken wish as he retreated into the shadows of the far end of the room. With a graceful gesture of his unseen hand, Lord Umbrus waved toward the inviting chair.

?By all means, Jedi Skywalker, make my home your own. You will find the fire warming in our frigid clime. The Umbaran Night is oft times chilling to the blood. Blood should always be allowed to keep its warmth, lest it lose the life it contains.? The Viceroy said with disturbing wisdom.

The Viceroy moved to exit and was stopped short by the sound of the howling that had so frightened Ben earlier in the night. The cloaked form came to stand next to a window that looked out over the vast forest that surrounded the castle.

?Here we are in a safe room while out there stalk the creatures at night. So often we are unaware of the creatures of the night, safe in our little warm rooms in our little warm beds. We miss so much and understand them so little. Listen to the Howlrunner sing his song. It frightens because of what he is, a predator; a possible danger. Yet, know you that his call is one of love? He calls his lonely call to call those he loves home. When you think of it this way, his song is so lovely, a beautiful music.? Umbrus said wistfully through his clearly electronic voice filter.

?Appearances on the surface can be deceiving. The truth oft times lies so much deeper than the surface. Like the music of the night. Our preconceived notions color our senses and blind us to what can be beautiful beyond words.? Umbrus half-turned toward Ben but did not turn to wholly face him. The red glow that Ben had thought he?d seen in the Viceroy?s cowl earlier was more evident now, though it was but a reflection off the interior cloth of his cowl.

?Oh, please forgive me my reminiscence, my young friend. It is a failing of age. The old tend to ramble nonsense to the young.? The Viceroy bowed slightly and then turned his back to Ben, seeming to hide his face from sight. The Viceroy walked through a door that was shadowed by the fireplace?s width.

?I shall check on our supper.? Umbrus thrummed from the hallway beyond the door.

Ben settl

8. pashatemur

pashatemur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2004
    Thank you, my Lord! Once again, a jewel of a post, superbly evocative. This is great fun! Renfew, I'm waiting for him! Ha, ha ,ha!

9. Nefertiti

Nefertiti Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2004
    Pash...Renfew is already in the mad house... should be the "three women" next... M'Lord such a young innocent to such wonderful women...I can't wait!!!!

10. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Excellent, Umbrus. =D=

This story is shaping to be more than it appeared...

I look forward to the next update!

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Outstanding, as always, Umbrus.

Love the portrayal of Ben Skywalker, very well done.

--heels

12. sdhfs

sdhfs Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004

great post.

13. BlackSun45

BlackSun45 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2004
    Keep up the good work.

14. LordDarthUmbrus

Sep 24, 2004
    Chapter 2: The Call

Part 1 - Coruscant

In the past 60 years Coruscant had experienced more history than it had in nearly 2000 years. The world had stood witness to the near eradication of the Jedi and the rise of the Second Sith Empire under Darth Sidious, the evil Emperor Palpatine. More recently, Coruscant had played host to the last thrashings of the Galactic Civil War as the Empire collapsed. Much of Coruscant City had been blasted to the planet?s surface, a surface that had been unseen for ages of the world, so encrusted by layers of artificial structures as it had been. Further insult was added to these injuries as the Yuuzhan Vong infected the world city with its biomechanical infestation.

What structures that had been allowed to stand after the Galactic Civil War were encrusted by an alien growth that sought to supplant the native forms. From the Senate Rotunda to the Imperial Palace, all had been encrusted by the filthy resin of Yuuzhan Vong architecture.

In the intervening years since the Yuuzhan Vong had been expelled from the world, the Galactic Alliance, along with the New Jedi Order, had committed some of their precious time and even more precious resources to restoring to its former glory what had been renamed Republic City. It was an effort that Leia Organa-Solo found to be rich in symbolism and important for the people of the Alliance. This was an effort at rebuilding a culture that had nearly been snuffed out after millennia of its building. It was an inspiration to other devastated worlds to rebuild themselves and in so doing rebuild the Galaxy and reclaim it in the name of freedom, peace, and prosperity.

At this moment Mara Jade-Skywalker was busying herself in this effort as she stood before a wall in the old Republic Opera House. The building had been a work of art in its heyday. Columns and arches of burnished marble, red Alderannian Nerf Wool carpets, paneling of Kavalan Cerise Wood, all had adorned the Great Reception Hall that led to the Opera House?s many theatres.

Mara worked on a Calamarie Perma-Coral frieze depicting The Battle of the Star Forge, one of the last battles of the Great Sith Wars. It had been quite the conversation piece before the Empire?s fall. Sycophants often discussed openly and quite loudly the similarities between the Great Lord Vader and the ancient war hero Revan the Deliverer. Mara had remembered cringing at such overt attempts at behind-kissing in the Emperor?s Court. She had known for a fact that Vader had hated such persons and often delighted in causing them to mess themselves upon hearing his regulated breathing suddenly behind them after such a comments. Few people knew this about the Lord Darth Vader, but he delighted in practical jokes. He quite entertained Mara on more than one occasion since she shared his distaste for these flunkies of their ?Master?.

Well, now, the flunkies were long gone as was the mysteriously tragic figure of Darth Vader ? Anakin Skywalker. She had married his son, a man she had once vowed to kill for taking her ?Master? away from her. Mara was so glad she hadn?t done that. So very glad. Sometimes she loved Luke so much it was painful and he returned that love in kind.

What is more . . . she had born him a Son! A miracle! The last thing Mara ever thought she?d ever be was a mom, and then . . . Ben was sent to she and Luke. Mara smiled to herself as she prepared the Antipathogenic spray to be used on the Yuuzhan Vong encrustation on the frieze.

Ben. Quiet. Bookish. Loved his holocamera and his holoscrapbook. Patient Jacen, the perfect instructor for Ben as the two shared the same mild temperament. Ben was so innocent. Mara hoped with all her heart he could keep that innocence for as long as possible. She hoped that he would follow his father?s penchant for idealism and not her penchant for cynicism.

She painted some of the Antipathogenic solution on the brownish black resin and it immediately began to fizz and crystallize. She continued to d

15. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Interesting post, LDU... [face_thinking]

Looking for more soon. ;)

16. pashatemur

pashatemur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2004
    Lovely, and my Lord, thank you!

17. Ragozy

Ragozy Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 24, 2004
    Wonderful, My Lord. When we speak of the EU and things long after what I know as Star Wars, I become dis-interested. But these are those people and you make me know them. You use delecate words for Mara and I can feel and see her as she repairs the past. Thank you. May I use another words..."More please."

18. sdhfs

sdhfs Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004

nice post.

19. Nefertiti

Nefertiti Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2004
    M'Lord forgive my tardiness...I love it! Am ready for the next chapter!

20. LadyZaraMarta

LadyZaraMarta Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2004
    Move over Bram Stoker ...you have company!

Bravo, LDU!=D=

21. TheMaidofOrleans

TheMaidofOrleans Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2005
    An excellent story.
    Thank you for pming me.

Looking forward to future chapters. Every Friday?

22. LordDarthUmbrus

Sep 24, 2004
    Yes, Ma'am. Every Friday or Saturday at the latest.

23. Jedi_Hunter_505

Jedi_Hunter_505 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2004
    LDU, this is turning out to be a very nice story. I'm sure Nef and Titus would be pleased and that they are pleased with what you've written.

They have to be, I mean it's basically for them.

Well, I just thought I'd stop by and check up on one of the great on-going stories.

24. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Bravo, LDU! My, my, my... dare I say Wes Craven?>!

A Most Excellent Work Indeed.

BTW: Nice to see the "remnants" of the ~//SDO//~ alive and kicking...

25. LordDarthUmbrus

Sep 24, 2004
    Part 2 - Ithor

From space, Ithor was once bright green with snow white cloud systems. The world was all land and had no seas, yet its warm atmosphere was so moist that most of the planet rained almost continuously. The world was Life itself, possessed of literally trillions of species of every form of life imaginable. It was the Galaxy?s garden spot and an example to all Galactic civilizations what their worlds could be like if kept in environmental balance for the Ithorians were master terraformers and bioformers.

Now, the world was brown in color for virtually all life on the once bio-rich world was now gone. Possibly the Yuuzhan Vong?s greatest crime against the Galaxy was the near sterilization of Ithor. It was sad beyond words and even the Galaxy?s coldest hearts had to give pause at the Desolation of Ithor. The loss was indescribable. It was beyond tragic.

Luke, Master Jedi, had been working with the Ithorians for a better part of 10 standard years trying to find a way to restore at least some what had been lost. He was aboard the biggest space station built since the second Death Star. It was simply called The Ring. It was a massive artificial construction that completely encircled the planet Ithor. Its sole purpose was to terraform and atmosform. It rotated in orbit around the world miles above its surface applying energies and pressures to the Ithorian biosphere in an attempt to restart the planet?s failed ecosystem. One could think of it as a planetary resuscitator of colossal proportions. So far, the Ithorians had only been mildly successful in their efforts. They had managed to condense fog in some low-lying areas that could grow some mosses and algae and the Ithorians considered even this small success a point for great celebration.

Luke knew that if the planet could be saved at all then it could be saved only by the Ithorians who had a definite knack for bringing life from death. Luke assisted as he could primarily in sensing the success of various experimental procedures the Ithorians administered in trying to bring one or more environmental factors back into balance. Luke could sense the flow of the Force in the world and could ?see? if whatever the Ithorians were trying was actually having an effect or not.

Luke and the Ithorians understood that the underlying problem seemed to be in an imbalance of the planet?s life energies. It was almost as if the world had lost its will to live. This transcendent problem could not be remedied by a formulated environmental procedure. All that could be done was to keep encouraging the world to keep trying and perhaps, Force willing, Ithor would find its way back to life again.

This was why the growth of moss was a cause for celebration. Ithor was trying and in the trying perhaps it could overcome its reticence to living.

Much of Luke?s time was taken up with free time and meditation as his services many times only required minutes of his day to help the Ithorians. Luke could easily perceive the planet?s fluctuations and he had long practice at conveying to the insensitive what the Force was trying to tell him about such matters. Though he had a lot of down time Luke was never bored. In fact, Luke had not been bored for a great many years. There was always something to occupy his mind.

His vivid mediations often took his spirit places no mortal form could ever go. The mists of the future and the shadows of the past and the length and breadth of the present were infinitely open to the one open to the Force.

Presently, Luke was occupying himself with a personal interest of his, learning about and understanding his family?s past. He was interested in knowing about his mother in particular. As he told his sister, Leia, all those years ago on Endor, he had absolutely no memory of his mother which was rather odd because Luke had made it a practice to examine his entire memory through Force.

His earliest memory was looking up into the face of his mentor, Ben Kenobi, and then falling to sleep again. He mu

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.