main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends ~~::| STAR WARS: The Shadow of the Sith - A Gothic Novel |::~~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LordDarthUmbrus, Oct 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I love this entry.

I've always wondered how Luke would react to seeing his mother in one way or another and you hit it spot on, Umbrus. Uncovering the past is a very fun pasttime.

Excellent chapter/update!

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Wow, Umbrus.

Yeah, I agree with Bacon, a great update, keep this going man!

3. LordDarthDevaious

LordDarthDevaious Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2005
    Deeply moving last update there! Two before were great as well! I can't believe what an incredible job you have done blending many plots together... Prequels, SDO, Vong, New Jedi Order, it's great, my Lord!

4. Nefertiti

Nefertiti Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2004
    As I came to the last two paragraphs, I put my hand over my mouth and tears started to fall. The children will know that they loved...and in that love...that the children were loved. Ya, got LDU...ya got me!

5. LordDarthUmbrus

LordDarthUmbrus Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Sorry that this post is shorter than usual. Been a busy week.

Thank you all for your wonderful comments! I am so happy you are enjoying the story.

Part 3 ? Rapid Response

The determined footfalls echoed loudly in the marble hallway of the Jedi Temple. They rang through the open space as the echoes struck off of the marble and glass surfaces. The hall was brightly lit from the prevailing sun that shined into the hallway through the vast panels of crystal clear traspariarmor windows lining the hall.

The footfalls quickened as they descended a broad staircase. The echoes fell off as the stomping boots found a strip of carpeting. The door to the Jedi Temple Communications Center sighed open and Mara Jade stormed in, her wine colored cloak, lined with gold, billowing about her shapely, compact form.

She passed her hand before her in a Force command. The holoprojector came to life. The Communications attendant, Padawan Learnian Sapashen, backed away from the holo while inquiring: ?Master Jade! May I help you?? The words were but gesture as Mara was already well in command of the situation.

?No. That?s fine Learnian. I?ve got it.? She said tersely as her raw green eyes focused on the holoprojector.

?Master Luke Skywalker. Channel 45-89-87 ? Priority Alert ? Jade ? SecCode: 4589657-89.? Mara blurted into the command pickup. The holoprojector began to chime. Soon the image of the bearded master came into view.

?Darling . . .? Mara let herself gasp as she lost much of her composure.

Luke answered the call as he continued to puzzle over this worrisome disturbance in the Force. ?Mara? Honey? What?s wrong? Is it . . . Ben?? Luke was sure it was.

?Yes, Luke. Something terrible has happened! We need to get to him at once! I know he made it to Umbara because Artoo reported that they?ve landed, but since then, we?ve gotten no other transmissions. I?m very worried Luke. That psychic cry was no trick. I felt Ben?s essence in it . . . and I KNOW he?s still alive!? Mara said in a rush.

?I felt the disturbance too . . . and yet. We need to be careful about this, Mara. Something about this feels . . . wrong.? Luke felt that there was something more to this than just his son?s anguish. Something in the background. The cry was . . . amplified somehow.?

?WRONG?!? Mara?s alabaster skin flushed red. ?What about THAT cry could have be right? Luke! Our son is in absolute anguish, Luke! There is NOTHING right with that! We?ve got to get to him . . . NOW!? Mara yelled.

?Mara . . . I sense something even more amiss here than Ben?s pain. There?s . . . something that WANTs us to go after him, Hon. We need to proceed carefully.? Luke said with his typical understanding tone. Luke had long ago mastered his emotions. Though he loved his son dearly and wanted to help, he knew that to go based on one?s passions was to court trouble with the Dark Side and troubled Luke greatly. He sensed the palpable background of the Dark Side in all of this. Mara, did not have the same control as Luke did, yet. She was working out of panic and fear. Working from such a state would at best be counterproductive and at worst . . . possibly deadly.

Mara did not share Luke?s appraisal of the situation . . . at all. She stared wide eyed at Luke who seemed to be completely dispassionate about their son?s plight. He was stroking his beard . . . thinking. THINKING. Thinking when they needed to be ACTING.

?L-Luke? I ? You. You. You?d let our son die wouldn?t you? T-to save YOURSELF from the Dark Side, you?d let Ben die?? Mara couldn?t stand it. The tears burned her eyes again.

Luke shook his head and his face grew very tired looking suddenly. A look Yoda often got when trying to explain things to Luke. She didn?t yet understand the balance necessary if attachments were to be allowed for the Jedi. Persons were not as important as feelings. Not as important as what could break if selfish passion was to exert itself over calm, precise, and informed thinking. The WHOLE problem had to be studied before a proper plan of

6. pashatemur

pashatemur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2004
    Thank you LDU, for keeping me posted! Nice work here, and the dialogue is effective and very natural!

7. Nefertiti

Oct 15, 2004
    Your description style has always brought the picture to my mind as I read. Excellent, M'Lord. Excellent.

8. LordDarthDevaious

May 25, 2005
    Impressive. Most impressive.

9. LordDarthUmbrus

Sep 24, 2004
    Sorry to those who may be waiting for an update. I am still working on my next post. My Friday/Saturday rule I'll need to break this week since Turkey Day committments have prevented me from finishing my post. I'll post this coming week for certain.

Thank you for your patience. Freaky things coming . . . and how!

10. TheMaidofOrleans

TheMaidofOrleans Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2005
    A very enjoyable story. Thank you for the reminder. Looking forward to future installments.

11. LordDarthUmbrus

Sep 24, 2004
    Part 4 - Finding Ben

Luke?s X-Wing ascended from one of [i]The Ring?s[/i] many hanger bays. As [i]The Ring[/i] and Ithor receded into the distance Luke tapped in a comm channel into his subspace transceiver. It was coded for Alliance Headquarters, the Chancellor?s Office. Luke needed to report his mission to Leia . . . just in case.

The transceiver whined and pinged and then through an odd burbling noise came Leia?s personal secretary, Lady Whilla Lorien, a striking La?agan. She was a shimmering humanoid who seemed to have a glow about her at all times. Her striking blue eyes were mesmerizing, but her most notable feature apart from her pointy ears was her . . . wings.

[i]?Master Skywalker! Why this is a surprise! We have not heard from you in quite some time! May I be of some assistance, Your Grace??[/i] Her lilting musical tremolo filled Luke?s cockpit.

?Thank you, Lady Lorien. Would it be possible to speak with my sister? Something important has come up and I need to speak with her.? Luke said in an even voice, though his insides were anything but even at the moment.

[i]?If you can give me but a moment, Master Luke, I will check on her availability.?[/i] Lady Lorien said in her usual friendly tone. As promised, a moment later she had returned to the holopickup?s field of vision.

[i]?Can you give her a half hour, Your Grace? She is currently in a rather delicate negotiation with the Malastare.?[/i] She returned in a pleasantly conciliatory tone.

?Unfortunately, I need to press the issue as it is urgent. It?s a family emergency.? Luke said in a far more serious tone.

[i]?Oh.?[/i] Lady Lorien?s lovely pale face broke into a look of genuine concern. [i]?I . . . see. I won?t be but a moment, Master Luke. I-I I?m ever so sorry. Please. One moment.?[/i] Luke saw the shine of tears come into the La?agan?s eyes. They were such sensitive creatures, a reason why they had stayed away from Galactic society. The thought of one person in trouble or, worse, one being hurting another was almost unbearable to the La?ago. Such an ancient and peaceful race, the La?agans had no understanding of violence toward others. The concept was baffling, strange, revolting, and saddening beyond words for them. It was one of the many reasons why the race had been called ?angels? by other races. But they were strong, too. Natural peacemakers. The Light Side of the Force flowed through them all. Luke was glad of their company in the Alliance after the Yuuzhan Vong War of Invasion. Their goodness was a beacon of hope to many and Luke hoped that the Jedi could learn a thing or two from the La?ago.

Within moments Lady Lorien?s face was replaced by the tired, older, but still familiarly lovely face of Luke?s sister, Chancellor Leia Organa-Solo. Her low silky voice mirrored the distress in her face and heart.

[i]?Luke, what?s wrong? What?s happened??[/i] Leia wanted to know.

?Leia! Leia . . . have you felt anything strange lately? Any strong impressions from the Force?? Luke answered Leia?s question with a question, something that he always seem to do these days.

Leia?s face grew instantly irritated, but she answered the question with as much patience as she could muster. [i]?Luke I - ~sigh~ No. No, not really. I felt a little something a little while ago, but, thought it might just be a headache coming on. Why, Luke? What?s going on? The Malastare aren?t the most understanding of people. If I don?t . . .?[/i] Luke cut Leia off.

?Leia. Its Ben. I think he might be in trouble. Mara?s gone after him. She and I . . . well . . . she and I heard a psychic scream come from him through the Force, Leia. It was strong enough for both of us to nearly knock us out.? Luke admitted.

[i]?Oh, no! But he went to Umbara! We?ve only had peaceful dealings with Umbarans. There have been reports of Isolationist insurgents, but they?ve never been inclined to violence of any sort . . . not direct terrorism and kidnapping anyway. Maybe in the wake of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion they?ve become bolder . . . or more desper

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Another awesome update, my friend. Well done.

13. Nefertiti

Oct 15, 2004
    Now you better fear me...I don't want to have to wait so long for the next entry! My Lord!

14. pashatemur

Jun 21, 2004
    Thank you LDU. Solid storytelling as always. Keep it up, for as you can see, we are hooked!

15. LordDarthUmbrus

Sep 24, 2004
    Chapter 3: Crucible

Part 1 ? Waylaid

Luke finished up his transmission to Jacen Solo on the hypercomm: ?Come in secret. Come quietly. Send out an alert to the rest of the Council. If we are dealing with what I suspect, then we will need all available Jedi on Umbara within the next 72 hours.? Luke was deadly serious and his aging countenance showed every inch of that seriousness.

Jacen nodded to the blue hologram and replied: ?It will be done, Master.? Jacen dipped his head as he fought back the terror that was trying to take hold. More than anyone, Jacen knew what it was to be tormented at the hands of his captors. He knew what prolonged torture could do to a mind, to a soul. He feared, an emotion that he fought every day to keep at bay. He feared greatly for his apprentice. Jacen had been broken down near to the point of Darkness by the Yuuzhan Vong . . . and they were not even of the Dark Side.

What chance did Ben have against a Sith Lord . . . a title that had become the stuff of legend to Jacen even though Luke, his dad Han, and his mom Leia, had contended with Darth Vader and his Emperor in their lifetimes? But, that had all happened before Jacen had been born and though he had heard the harrowing tales of those times from all of his family, they were not any more real to him than the histories or fairy tales. He had no direct experience with Sith . . . at least none while he was outside his mother?s womb.

In Jacen?s life he had already experience far more evil than his worst nightmares could have ever prepared him for. Jacen would not know how to deal with a Sith, much less Ben. He was glad that Luke was on the case. Luke had dealt the supposed death blow to the Sith. If whoever had Jacen considered himself a Sith then Luke should know how to deal with them.

?[i]Don?t be afraid, Jacen. We?ll get Ben back. Don?t let fear work in you. Trust in the Force and all will happen for the better.[/i]? Luke soothed.

Jacen nodded and looked back up into the eyes of his master. ?I will try, Master.? Jacen swallowed.

Luke smirked: ?[i]Do or do not. There is no try.[/i]? Jacen smiled back remembering Uncle Luke?s old admonishments that he had inherited from the venerable Jedi Master, Yoda.

Jacen straightened and gathered the good side of the Force around him, casting away doubt. ?I will not fear, Master!? Jacen had learned the treachery of fear and how it could turn one to Darkness first hand, when he started a war to save his own daughter!

Luke?s smirk turned to a smile: ?[i]Better. Now let?s get going, we?ve got no time to lose![/i]? With that, Luke?s holoimage blinked out and Jacen was alone in the communications center.

Jacen quickly proceeded to dial in a number of channels and two holoimages came to life over the large holoprojector well in the Jedi Communications Center. The grizzled features of Kyle Katarn appeared, looking a bit irritated at the disruption. The stoic features of Kyp Durron appeared as well.

?[i]What?s up, kid?[/i]? Kyle asked nonchalantly in his whisky husked voice.

Jacen cocked his eyebrow at Master Katarn and answered: ?The [i]Sith[/i], Master Katarn.?

=|~~~~~~|.|~~~~~~|=

Jacen Solo?s holoimage flickered away just as Luke?s foreword view showed hyperspace reverting to realspace. His X-Wing arrowed through the black expanse of the Bat Nebula and finally came within sensor range of Umbara.

Something turned in Luke?s stomach. It was a feeling Luke was all too familiar with though he hadn?t felt it for many years. It was the Dark Side?s pull. Luke could feel it gathered around and through this world. It was odd how fitting the feeling was to the sight of the forbidding black planet. The sense of the Force around it mirrored the blackness of Umbara?s sphere. Luke pushed forward, aware that soon he would be accosted by one of the many cloaked vessels he sensed in orbit around Umbara.

As predicted, a large batlike vessel decloaked off to starboard. The comm. initialized and an icy

16. pashatemur

Jun 21, 2004
    Thank you once again, LDU. You've again wowed us.

17. Nefertiti

Oct 15, 2004
    What??!! To short! Cliff-hanger be damn!

Nice, LDU... very nice!

18. LadyZaraMarta

LadyZaraMarta Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2004
    A most excellent story, LDU.

19. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Master! I have been away FROM HERE, for far too long!!

I don't know what to say, and THAT never happens!!!

You have captured the essence of STAR WARS and made it your own...

Fabulous work, MahhhLorrrd.

20. LordDarthUmbrus

Sep 24, 2004
    Part 2 ? Rescued

Luke became aware of sounds at first. There were the sounds of whispered conversations in a foreign language and sounds of a crackling fire. The sound of shuffling feet grew nearer, but Luke was too out of it still to really make sense of the sound.

Luke then became aware of feeling. A dampness lay against his brow and it felt good, though the accompanying sensation to the dampness was a deep throbbing ache in his head.

Luke then heard another sound, a closer sound. It was a pained moan. Luke realized the sound was coming from him.

Luke then became aware of light filtering through to his eyes. Mercifully it was a dim light so the throbbing in his head did not intensify at the light?s coming. The light was blue in color.

There came voices again, one was right over him. Luke could just make out a round shape silhouetted by the light. It moved as if on a neck. The round object was making the voice but Luke could not understand it. The voice was female and it had a low silky quality that was somehow inhuman.

Luke realized then . . . these were Umbarans.

Luke tried to struggle against the bonds of his semi-consciousness only to feel a gentle hand press on the bareness of his chest. The pressure quieted Luke as did the resulting nauseous dizziness that accompanied his movement.

?Lie still, there! You?ve had a bad bump. You must not move!? The same silky voice admonished in a tongue Luke could understand. Though calmed, Luke was nearly fully awake now and his situation was coming back to him.

?W-w . . .? Luke faltered and took a couple of painful breaths.

?Where are you? Yes?? The hypnotic voice asked.

?uh-huh.? Luke muttered faintly.

?You are on Umbara, Luke Skywalker, with us. You are safe enough at present.? The gentle hand massaged a painful place on Luke?s side. Luke groaned and winced at the pain the hand found there.

?Mmm. Bruised rib. [i]Toorre sa?ham loore[/i].? The voice purred to someone behind in the same language as before. Luke made out a slightly larger form coming up behind the one talking to him. Luke presumed that the other attendant was a male by his size.

?Wh-wh.? Luke attempted.

?Who are we and/or who am I, yes?? the mellowing voice soothed.

?uh-huh.? Luke muttered faintly again.

Luke managed to open his eyes a little more so he could see a little better. Over him hovered the ghastly pale face of an Umbaran woman. Her face was delicately tinted with bruise blue and her eyes scintillated with a pale blue glow. Her head was bare as were her brows. Not even a fine down could be seen upon her cheeks.

Luke was more fascinated than startled by the being. She was not looking directly into his face but seemed rather to be regarding an activity she was engaged in.

Luke felt smooth soft hands on his stomach and sides and then the slightly rougher texture of fine cloth. Two stronger hands gripped Luke behind the neck and back and gently lifted him.

Luke howled as he felt sharp daggers in his side.

Quickly the hands of the woman wound and tightened the cloth around Luke?s chest. Mercifully the hands behind Luke let him down easy. Luke?s ribs throbbed for being disturbed in their present state.

?There! Now you?ll have support enough to sit up in a while and finally walk so we can keep moving.? Said the woman.

Luke was fully awake now and he felt the throbbing in his head match the throbbing in his side. He groaned and the woman proceeded to wrap his head. The cloth she used smelled of an aromatic of some kind. As the cloth held his head he felt a coolness on his skin that soaked into his skull. The throbbing eased and Luke sighed at the relief. The band around his chest did the same for his aching ribs.

?Th-thank you, Miss. That feels much better.? Luke whispered in appreciation.

?Not at all, Master Skywalker. Really, it is quite an honor to help a war hero such as yourself. Think of this as a favor returned.? The timber of the silken voice was more audible to Luke now. It spoke to age.

21. pashatemur

Jun 21, 2004
    Very nice connection, LDU. Your attention to detail of both plot and environment pays big dividends. Very nice crafting!

22. LordDarthDevaious

May 25, 2005
    Dear God, that was absolutely brilliant! I'm glad to finally see Sly Moore have a part in this tale!

And, a weird coincidence, when I read this I was watching LOTR and when Mara saw Ben the scene where Gollum is tortured in Mordor came on.. very creepy coincidence.

23. LordDarthUmbrus

Sep 24, 2004
    Sorry to those who may be waiting for an update. I am still working on my next post. My Friday/Saturday rule I'll need to break this week for Christmas. I'll post this coming week for certain.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

24. TheMaidofOrleans

TheMaidofOrleans Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2005
    An interesting story you weave,LordDarthUmbrus.

25. LordDarthUmbrus

Sep 24, 2004
    Thank you all for your wondeful comments. Entering a new year I hope yours and those of your loved ones will be prosperous and fulfilling.

God bless you all.

[b]Part 3 [/b]? [i]Sojourn[/i]

?ARE YOU MAD??!? Threepio amplified.

[It is the only way to break the Delta Stop protocol, C-3PO. It must be broken in order for us to go to Master Luke.] Artoo explained.

?But you will fry both our positronic cortexes! That charge could deactivate us both . . . permanently! ? Threepio wailed.

[It is a risk we need to take if we are to help Master Luke so hold still and STOP complaining, for once. Besides, I have had a lot worse jolts than this and I am still fully functional.] Artoo said, his claw manipulator gripped on to Threepio and his data plug primed to enter a power jack.

?Fully functional?! You are the most deranged droid I have EVER worked with! Oh, by the Maker, I am loath to think that I could EVER become as addled as you are. UhHAND me this instant Artoo! I am NOT going through with this ? Threepio said flatly as he vainly tried to shake his companions grip.

[Sorry. I cannot do that. Master Luke will need your experience matrix to recount the events we had before leaving Master Ben.] Artoo refused to let go.

?And just what makes you think that my experiential matrix can withstand a fully uncontrolled charge?? Threepio continued as he continued trying to loose himself from Artoo?s grip.

[If your generalized system configuration can withstand the charge then your experience matrix will as well. Ready?] Artoo moved his plug near the jack.
    ?NooOOOOoo! HELP! HELP! Murder! Muuurder! HE*? Threepio panicked and then began jittering as a blue current washed over he and Artoo.

Whaaaaaaooooo!? Artoo let go an electronic scream as he took the brunt of the charge.

?Di- Di- Di- Di- Di- Di- Di ? Threepio sputtered as the blue bolts coursed through him.

Soon both fell silent and all power-on indications went out. Threepio?s photoreceptors went out as did Artoo?s various sensors and indicators.

A few minutes passed as the smoke from rapid ionization drifted in the shuttle?s cabin. Then there came a whir. Threepio?s photoreceptor?s lit then Artoo?s systems rebooted.

Artoo warbled something that sounded like ?Wheew?.

Threepio shook his head with a rattle that sounded like a bee-bee in a boxcar.

?Na-Chuta! Vermin Zor-La! NeeNer NeenNee! Phita-phit-phit-phitah-phit? Bosskaah! Eeeeechubinumahhhhh! [Harsh sounding insect chittering]. Eeluuwa Selmin E? Ay Chee Wah Wah ? Threepio cycled through several other languages and dialects before finding, at last, the correct one for his feelings.

He thumped Artoo hard on his dome and replied with a derisive electronic sound that sounded very Astromech in its dialect.

[Aww! Now hold on there, you Brainless Philosopher! That?s getting WAY too personal ] Artoo replied with a mixture of hurt feelings and anger.

?Personal! Being half-electrocuted when one does not wish to be. THAT is getting too personal, you Addlepated Junk Pile ? Threepio countered hotly.

?[Whatever. Lets get going. Luke?s in trouble and we have to help him.]? Artoo started to roll toward the shuttle?s exit at last free of his programmed binding.

?I have no intention of joining you, R2-D2. Delta Stop or no, Master Ben specifically told us to wait HERE. He?s our master for this mission. I will not violate his wishes.? Threepio crossed his arms and held his ground stubbornly.

Artoo turned and in a very exasperated tone answered: [You twit! Did you not see the sensor readings! Are your photoreceptors malfunctioning? First Mistress Mara does a fly over at Mach 10 toward where Ben went. Then Master Luke comes and is shot down by those EMP blasts! Something is WRONG! If we do not help them, then who will? ]

Threepio stood silent for a moment as if thinking then he dropped his arms and shook his head in resignation.

?I know I?m going to regret this.? Threepio moaned as he followed his shorter companion to the exit ramp.

~~~~.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.