main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars: The Soft Drink Menace

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by PixelMagic, Sep 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Hey guys. Some people have PMed me asking me for updates. So for those of you who actually care (and I appologize to those who don't care) our fanfilm has made some interesting advances. I have started college, and now have access to some NICE equipment. As many of you know, the entire film has already been shot and is on tape. However, the end of the film has BEEN completely re-written, and now we are waiting for a good date to shoot the ending. Due to my access to hardware, computers, and limitless software at school, this promises to dramatically increase the quality of the film, compared to what it was originally going to be. The original film was filmed completely on a 1CCD JVC camera. It was hard to get decent picture quality. My film making insturctor told me today that he would allow me to use the classes XL1 and GL2 to shoot the ending of the film. We also have a $400 tripod, and a SteadiCam for both cameras. We have a camera crane, and professional boom microphones, professional lighting equipment, a foley studio, the works. And now my production crew has went from two people up to 8 people. Very talented people. And I am learning new visual effects techniques. I am not proclaiming that this fanfilm will be the best ever, because I know that it will not. It will never be broken allegiance, but I am HOPING it will at least be up to Duality quality. Anyway, I just wanted to give you guys an update. The ending will be shot within the next two months. It will comprise about actually 60% of the film. BUT I have done most of the visual effects shots in advance. And this is now going to be my final project for my film class this semester. So the film HAS to be completed by December 10th. So I hope you guys can all understand the delay. I promise this movie will be FAR better than it was going to be originally.

Oh and one more thing. We can't really have a physical prop of a soft drink for our shots, because we can't have the label custom printed. What do you guys think of instead of the soft drink being the center of the power of the force, that I had it be a ring instead. You know, a homeage to LOTR?

2. crutag-ventor

crutag-ventor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I understand the delay, but don?t you mean December 2004? :p

I look forward to seeing it. :D

3. mpfjr

mpfjr Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    So it's no Broken Allegiance but it is going to be better than Duality.

Hmmm.

Well, I am looking forward to it. I've always been impressed with everything you've shown us here.

4. crutag-ventor

Jan 29, 2002
    Ha, I would personally say, ?So it's no Duality but it is going to be better than Broken Allegiance.? :p

5. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I don't think you should compare your (unfinished) film to completed fan films for reference. I happen to think, with all respect to Nick Hallam and his great work, that Duality is a better film than BA.

But that's not the issue.

Anyways, if you change the thing from a Soft Drink (which has also already been done in Essence of the Force, to say nothing of the customprinted label issue) to a ring, that's fine, it's your film, but it wouldn't make much sense to call it "THe Soft Drink Menace".

M. Scott

6. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    well, man i think you should aim for one final date and stick with it! anyways, good luck with the film, and i will be glad to do any help you need on the film, now that i have learned max pretty well. :) Lucky you on using those nice cameras.

Man you got my hopes up with that title

7. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    i agree with some of you guys, I think duality was the absolute best fanfilm i have ever seen, i still watch it.

About this thread;
    That is great that you have all this new equipment and stuff. Can't wait for December to get here.

Later

8. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    My jaw hit the floor when I saw all of that equipment pixel... lucky lucky man ;)

As for a ring... eh, it may be a little 'too' much of an homage to LOTR. I would rather it be called 'the stapler of doom' or 'the masking tape menace :)'

9. ---VADER---

---VADER--- Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2002
    Wow, Pixel, that is so awesome that you have access to all that equipment. And don't worry about the 'delay'. Cuz we all know that the movie is going to be well worth the wait. Thanks for the update.

---VADER---

10. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Well, all I can say is, while I know that I am supposed to have fun making this film, I really want you guys to enjoy it too, so I am trying to make the film not only for myself, but for an audience, cause the finished project will be scene by probably over 1000 people at my campus, plus it will be aired on a local cable channel. Needless to say, I am a bit under pressure to make sure it's not an utter piece of crap....ha ha. Thanks for the encouraging words guys.

11. ExFilms

ExFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001

Why don't you ask for permission from some off brand soda company. It wouldn' hurt, and for a student production they may say yes.

We asked permission from a beer company to use their beer in a bar scene. They said yes and supplied us with free product.

12. crutag-ventor

Jan 29, 2002
    Now there?s a novel idea! ;)

13. sithgoblin3

sithgoblin3 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2001
    ExFilms -

Where did you film the bar scene?

14. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    It shouldn't be too hard to mock up a can that will be perfectly good enough for everthing but ultra close-ups (if your movie has any)

I seem to remember your CG can was red? So buy a product in a red can (that could be Coke then) and just design your own label, run it out on a colour copier (a college that has all of that equipment will have a decent DTP set-up I'm sure) and stick it onto the can, using something like Display Mount, or print the thing onto self adhesive vinyl and apply it. This will look fine, and as Dorkman said, a bit more in keeping with the name of the film.

Anyway, good luck hitting that deadline - it's not long now - Yikes!

15. Magic_Patrick

Magic_Patrick Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2001
    ...and on top of the colour copy overlay it with some adhesive plastic, or something else that give you a nice reflection. Otherwise it will be obvious you use paper.

I really want to see that softdrink in your film!!!!

Good luck :)

16. ExFilms

ExFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001

Sithgoblin - A nightclub owner agreed to let us use her club on a Sunday morning before they opened.

Pixel - Doesn't your church own Pepsi? I'm sure they could work something out. ;)

17. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Ha ha, no my church does not own Pepsi.

18. Gardulo

Gardulo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    The Ring Thing instead of a drink is
    quite better I find.
    Well It depends On what your movie is.
    The Soft Drink makes it more of a
    Funny movie not very serious, a parody