Star Wars Themed Bedroom

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by GreenGreatWarrior, Jul 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. GreenGreatWarrior Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey, sorry if this is in the wrong board but I can't find anywhere else to put it, i'm getting my room redecorated into a Star Wars theme and I was thinking what it should be like, post any suggestions you may have! To start it off, what are those lights called that give off the same effect as a lightsaber (don't tell me just to buy a plasma saber because they are WAY too expensive).
  2. spacelady Force Ghost

star 5
    Well you could get a SW cover for your bed, or if your good at sewing you could make one with pics from the movies. I would put a pattern on the walls like stars, maybe, and put up a lot of SW posters or something close to SW like Star Trek.

Just a thought. :)

Edit~don't put too much SW stuff up or you will get sick of it...
  3. Raef_Wolfe Jedi Master

star 4
    The cieling should be painted light blue but put glow in the dark clear glue dots on it. This way, when you turn the light off, it looks like stars against the night sky :) Very cool. And then you could always get fancy and put things like a Death Star or X wings on it, lol.

It also depends on what type of theme you want. Is it specificly one movie? Is it all of the movies? Expanded universe? A scene? For instance, Hoth is a very different setting that Endor.
  4. spacelady Force Ghost

star 5
    Your right that would be cool! :D If you are going for the episode 5 you could hang X-wings from the cieling followed close by Tie-fighters. If you want to do Endor you could put up patterns on your wall like trees and have your room all forest like, that would be cool with the speeders they used in episode 6 hanging. If I was doing it (which I not but) I would do Naboo theme for my room.
  5. GreenGreatWarrior Force Ghost

star 4
    It will be from all the movies, maybe for on the walls it could be scenes from each of the movies?
  6. spacelady Force Ghost

star 5
    The thing is that you shouldn't have too many scenes or it would look bad. You should just chose one of your favorites and just do that one.
  7. GreenGreatWarrior Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah I was thinking a scene for each wall, that wouldn't be too bad would it?
  8. jedimelis Force Ghost

star 2
    There are so many possibilities. Yeah you must decide a focus to make it well put together.... Are you thinking of neon lights???? Ships hanging from the ceiling which is painted blue with glow in teh dark stars would be cool.
  9. Skaught Jedi Knight

star 2
    There are two ways you can go with this. One is to use Star Wars sheets, curtain, etc. and have everything a normal room has but with a Star Wars theme. Or you can make it a Star Wars "environment", and make it look like a bedroom that you'd find on the Death Star.

I personally prefer the "environment" route. We did our baby's bedroom in a Dr. Seuss theme this way. No murals on the wall or things like that. Rather, we painted the walls a Seuss-ish blue and lavender, with a wall divider (chair rail) that was all cury and wavy in a very Dr. Seuss fashion. We put a very fuzzy carpet on the floor and bought furniture that looked like the Cat in the Hat would own it. You can check it out at http://www.EmilyWill.com.

As for creating a SW environment, the coolest thing you could do it build the Death Star style light panels going floor to ceiling, maybe on either side of the bed. You could put both while and red lights in them with a switch to alternate between the two colors. Paint the wall gray. This would take some woodworking skills and probably cost more, but it would look so much cooler!

Scott
  10. spacelady Force Ghost

star 5
    GreenGreatWarrior it would look different but if you divid the whole room into 4ths, (so each wall has a triangle) then you could make ex: One wall is Endor and have endor's speeders with (painted) trees and such, the second wall could be Naboo paint water trees flowers and everything that Naboo would have, ect.

Just like that and that would look good, you could even split that room in half if you like.
  11. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Master

star 4
    You could paint your ceiling Midnight Blue or Navy Blue and instead of glow in the dark glue, go to Spencers Gifts and buy a kit that has glow in the dark star stickers (they will come off much easier than glue if you change your mind). Then you could stick some pics of a few X-wings & TIE fighters up there, throw in the Death Star, Yavin 4, even get creative with some laser fire and you will have a great space battle from ANH!
  12. chibiangi Force Ghost

star 4
    Why not recreate Padme's bedroom?

13. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    I agree with Skaught; either the general SW theme, or an environment. If you try to do too much (like having a scene from each movie on a different wall), it's going to look too busy.

If you want a SW that incorporates things from all movies, the general SW theme might work better (it might also work better if you aren't able to buy new furniture or paint/refinish your old). You could have the movie posters from each movie on the walls, and use SW sheets & bedspreads. If you get more than one design, you can change the bedding when you get tired of one movie theme, which would also change the look of the room slightly each time. A bluish-grey color on the walls would blend things together some, and would also look a little like the Death Star.

If you go with an 'environment' for your room, you'd have to narrow it down to one idea. Something like the Jedi temple, either of Padme's rooms in AOTC (the one on Coruscant and the one in the deleted home scene), the Death Star, the Millenium Falcon, an Ewok tree house, Shmi's home or the Lars homestead, the palace on Naboo. There are lots of things that could be turned into a bedroom theme. You just need to pick an idea, see what it looked like in the movies, and decide how you could make it work in your own room. Choose a few elements that you can do and that fit the theme & your budget.
  14. Jedi_Riibu Jedi Master

star 4
    SW Lego vehicles hang from ceilings with fishing wire very well and look very cool. :)
  15. iycis Jedi Knight

star 3
    If you can still find the ATOC wrapping paper that they made last year when it came out, you could use that for wallpaper.
  16. ChristinaAmidala Jedi Padawan

In my media room, I had put up glow in the dark stars on the celing. I hung formations of x-wings and a-wings flying towards formations of tie fighters/bombers and defenders with clear fishing wire and clear thumbtacks. Each ship needed to be hung with 2 wires and they had to be strung so that the string was tight and the ship was caught up in it b/c I had a fan in the room (poke the ship around a little to see if it juggles too much).
    Around the room, I had nicley framed SW posters, and then professionaly framed SW charecter pix with their autograpghs in a section on the wall (hung in a little formation like you would art prints or framed family photos). On top of the TV I had 2 lightsabers on a samari sword dispaly and a few SW action figures of my favorite charecters mixed in with a few other things up there not SW related (disco ball, obsidean balls....)

All in all, the room always got many compliments and was VERY Star Wars, but was still understated enough not to look like some dorky little kid's room.
  17. dianediane Jedi Padawan

Stormtrooper Princess nailed it, I think. I personally think the Naboo Palace would be a great source to pull from. You could go with either a peaceful water theme with blues and greens, columns for plant stands (stain them a dark coppery colour) and very sheer flowy curtains around the bed and windows. Or You could go red velvet. Like Queen Amidalas battle outfit in Episode one. Chocolate brown accents, very rich. There is so much you could do with that.

18. spacelady Force Ghost

star 5
    That would be good for a girl(I would do that :D ) . But what about a guy room?
  19. Skaught Jedi Knight

star 2
    My room is currently a highly accurate replica of the trash compactor on the death star. And I didn't even intend it! I even think there's a monster in there somewhere. I never let my arm hang over the edge of the bed just in case.

Scott
  20. Raef_Wolfe Jedi Master

star 4
    Whoeveer said abour the stickers, I wouldn't suggest it. Stckers fall off too easy. Tacky glue does, too. Glue glue stays, but you ca take it off.

I, personally, would do Endore or Hoth or Naboo (swamps or underwater). Can you tell I'm into the Nature stuff? :D

Now, Coud city would also be interesting, if you don't mind orange.
  21. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    If you want to go with the memorialbilia type theme the sky is the limit for decorating. I did my sewing room in Gone with the Wind--I took Postcards (which are all a standard size) and adhered them to the top of the wall all the way around with wallpaper paste to create "Border". You can find all sorts of different post cards from Star Wars--and they are pretty cheap. You can stencil your favorite quotes on the walls. You can put Star Wars buddies, ewoks and other "toys" on your bed or on a shelf. Frame posters, and pictures. A dressform or mannequin with a cool reproduction costume always looks neat. I have a large mural of Rhett and Scarlett that takes up one whole wall and then have plush curtains around it to give the illusion that it's on the "Big Screen".

I do like the ideas of making is appear like it's in the universe though too. You could do the Ewok village with little bridges and forts and "bark" type faux finishes on the walls. You can do Hoth with styrofoam type ice pieces and such.
    ~Ferd :)
    P.S. Skraught Love the Dr.Seuss room!!! :) Too cute!
  22. Forcebewitya Jedi Master

star 4
    well as for me my room is mostly star wars. I find that just putting up a bunch of posters works great. Becuase then if you do get sick of one you can just take it down and put up another one. Also if you go to a comic shop or someplace they should have the stand up "lifesize" cardboard characters from Star Wars. Which those are way cool (I have Zam, Leia, Chewie, Darth, and R2-D2). I was thinking of painting the Star Wars galaxy on my ceiling, but decided against it becuase the paint would drip all over my other posters and figures etc... oh, and if you collect I suggest displaying your figures on a shelf (if loose) or nailed up if carded. I have both in my room. hope that helps.

Forcebewitya!
  23. Raef_Wolfe Jedi Master

star 4
    My bro has a lifesize Yoda and Anakin from Episode 1 and 2 downstairs...He works at P&C and takes the cutouts if no oe wants them. That's a way of getting them cheap. Ask the local store if you cna have them when they're done with them. Most go in the trash anyways.
  24. Q99213 Jedi Master

star 4
    I would definetly go with an environment theme. One day in the far future when I get out of college and get a real job and house I plan to make my living room have a Star Destroyer brdige theme. A Death Star theme wouldn't be that hard to do, it's all about the paint and the lights.
  25. JBRO_13 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I once built my own Death Star (basically only 1/4th of it) and put it in the corner of my room, up on the ceiling, then had an X-Wing and a Tie Fighter flying nearby it.

It sounds weird, but, it looked pretty cool.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.