main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars through the eyes of a 4 year old!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Dec 6, 2012.

1. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    I am a nanny for my 2.5 year old nephew right now and they have a Star Wars counting book that we read all the time. I also am teaching him about Yoda since he is a neat kid friendly character. He picked out a Yoda hat at the store the other day so I think it is working. Though he does call Yoda a Jedi Monster instead of Master so I still have some work to do. No movies or tcw yet.

(mobile sock of s65horsey)

2. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I showed my kids 4,5, and 6 first because that was the way I saw them. Also, depending on how much your kid can understand, you won't lose the impact of "No, I am your father". I started when my oldest was 4 - he's now 12 and venturing into the EU. My youngest is 4, and has watched them all - except ROTS - which my oldest refuses to watch. We also play a lot of Star Wars Lego on PS3 with my youngest, and she loves it. She tells everyone at preschool that her best friend is Darth Vader.

The other mothers look at me in horror.

Zorrixor likes this.
  3. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    i started liking star wars in 97 when i was 6 after getting a vhs box set of the special editions. you guys are going to cringe but the first eu book i read was the glove of darth vader. i had 2 hardcovers collecting 3 of those books each. honestly i liked them at the time. it wasn't until nearly 10 years later i heard people bashing them, and found out how much hate there is for them.

4. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

I like "Jedi Monster" :D

5. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Pity the small child introduced to the Emperor in ROTS or ROTJ. That could be pretty damn scary....

6. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Well 1-6 is the story of Anakin, 4-9 will be the story of Luke, and 7-12 will be the story of whomever. So on and so forth. But 12 at most, before starting Saga 2...

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Last Christmas family get together my older cousins (they are both huge SW nerds despite both being in their 30es and one being in upper management of a major international company) both bought SW toys for their kids and then had a light saber duel right before the Christmas tree, whilst the kids (4 and 6) were trying to pick which one looks more like young Vader and which more like Obi-Wan.

8. AirNeeva

AirNeeva Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 20, 2012
    Oh, I remembered how much my brother loved Star Wars when he was four.
    He teared up my copy of The Unseen Queen.

Zorrixor likes this.
  9. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    you read TUQ to a 4 year old... the book with Killiks in all sizes oozing tasty drug black membrosia slime while rubbing arms with human joiners in an orgy? you are braver than I thought!

10. AirNeeva

AirNeeva Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 20, 2012
    Well, my brother had complete and unlimited access to my bedroom, and he picked up that particular book, for reasons unknown. (Since he usually go for my picture books from forever ago)
    Not to mention that my brother also tored up my copy of Star Wars: The Adventure of Luke Skywalker. Here's the destruction:

[​IMG]

11. Ferus Olin

Ferus Olin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2012
    yeah cause in ROTS he's definitely a nice guy...

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't really remember my first impressions of the movies except ROTS and remembering after TPM or AOTC yelling when I got home, Best Movie Ever! I do remember not wanting to watch Empire Strikes Back for the longest time. I was 7 or 8 when I first watched the movies I think.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I feel like I did it wrong.

I introduced Star Wars to my kids when they were 4 and 2. (They're 7 and 5 now.) I showed them 4-6 first because of "tradition" and because I wasn't ready to show them ROTS. At the time I was squeamish about letting kids that young see a PG-13 movie. I got over it quickly. More on that in a minute.

The good news is that they thoroughly enjoyed it, especially my oldest--he's a hard-core fan like I am, my youngest is more of a casual fan these days. I pulled out my old action figures to play with, the ones I had unpackaged anyway, and they got their first action figures of their own afterwards. My oldest walked around Target with his R2 action figure saying "R2 D2 I love you very much."

The bad news is that they got confused. When we were watching AOTC, my oldest asked, "Is that Luke's Mommy and Daddy?" When I said yes, he said, "Well where is Luke?" I said, "Not born yet," and he said, "But I just saw him in the other movie!" If there is a way to get kids that small to understand the concept of a "prequel," I'm still not really sure what it is.

The other bad news is that my oldest then begged to watch ROTS. After about a month of this, I caved in, and it became his favorite movie.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    anakinfansince1983 wow that is entertaining. I won't be having kids for a long while so I don't real have to think about those questions yet but sometimes I do wonder if my kids will like the movies and EU like I do.

15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Nah. 451236789 obviously. Machete style!

Ulicus likes this.
  16. Samayel_

Samayel_ Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2012
    show her the TV series "Droids" and "Ewoks", i think that those are pretty good for a 4 year old girl.
    And then, show her Star By Star :confused:

17. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Kids, too much TCW is bad for the brain.

Zeta1127 likes this.