main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars TLJ: Cobalt Squadron

Discussion in 'Literature' started by starocean90, Jul 21, 2017.

1. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    [​IMG]

reminds me of the before the Awakening book, same publisher too.

2. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Guessing this book will explore Rose and her sister's relationship before she's inevitably killed off at the start of TLJ (The sister I mean not Rose)

3. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Being that those bombers are so weird, I'm glad we're getting a book about their crews right away.

BobaMatt, Revanfan1 and starocean90 like this.
  4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Very cool! This is good.

starocean90 likes this.
  5. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Loved the JTTFA middle grade books. Can't wait for this!

starocean90 likes this.
  6. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    [​IMG]

7. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Super excited about this!

starocean90 likes this.
  8. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    Cobalt Squadron sounds awesome.

starocean90 and vncredleader like this.
  9. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    I honestly thought we were gonna have to wait till later 2018 for a book like this! So glad we can pick it up on Dec.15 :D

starocean90 likes this.
  10. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    A book about bomber squadron pilots, yes please.

11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    This is so freaking cool! Can't wait to learn more about the Resistance military.

--Adm. Nick

starocean90 and Sinrebirth like this.
  12. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Funny that the part JOURNEY TO TLJ it's not on this book, so probaly, this book will be more important for the movie than the books with the journey ;)

13. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    more about Cobalt Squadron in another book
    [​IMG]

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Probably not a spoiler at this point, but
    I'm getting increasingly curious about how a bomber mechanic becomes a spy.

MercenaryAce and Revanfan1 like this.
  15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

My guess? Accidentally.

16. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    They were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Naturally they became heroes.

17. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Or they were in the right place at the right time, and naturally became heroes

18. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  19. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Ah, blast. From the small image up top I was hoping the guy on the right was a Tognath or a Kel Dor.

Senpezeco and Sinrebirth like this.
  20. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    When I get a movie with an OT, PT, and ST species all included, I'll die of delight. :)

--Adm. Nick

21. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    This came out 12/15. I haven't seen much (any) talk about it. Looks short. But the audio is narrated by Kelly Tran, which is pretty cool.

Haven't read it (or listened) yet.

Thoughts? Reviews?

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

22. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    I really enjoyed this. I actually wish I was able to get this before I went and saw TLJ because - like, say, Catalyst - although it isn't necessary reading to understand the film, it does add contextualising information on the characters. The novel especially highlights the relationship between Rose and Paige in a way that the movie obviously couldn't. Since you haven't read it yet, I'll use a spoiler tag for this bit, but it's a pretty details-light, broad strokes analysis of what you can expect.

Their arc starts with an interdependent relationship (Rose won't fly on a vessel without her sister; Paige feels responsible for protecting her) which evolves and grows over the course of the story to a satisfying conclusion (Rose becomes confident enough to follow her own calling; Paige encourages her to do this even though it means letting her go). It really adds a lot more of an emotional punch to what Rose is feeling in TLJ and how it motivates her.

There's also some pretty cool Fleet Junkie stuff, building on the detachable clip of the StarFortresses and their ability to take different payloads. For instance, we see them used as spy ships equipped with racks of miniature probes, mining vessels, and for supply airdrops.

23. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    It's a nice, easy read, and it's great to get the bomber squadrons fleshed out like this. I'd have happily taken a comic mini-series along these lines over the Captain Phasma mini-series. Bomber Command is the perfect complement to this, too.

24. Chris Werms

Chris Werms Jedi Padawan

Aug 2, 2017
    I'm not entirely sure a spoiler tag is necessary, but to be sure, I put my review under the tag:
    As much as I loved fleshing out the relationship between Paige and Rose in this story, I felt like Bomber Journal accomplished this well enough on its own. I felt like the book may have been too myopically focused on the two to the detriment of the rest of the supporting cast. I hardly remembered most of the cast's names as they were only fleshed out when Rose or Paige interacted with them. Though, I haven't seen the film again since I've read the book, so it may change my opinion on how well it worked for those characters.

Mostly, though, I thought that the finale was just a bit too tame for me. I understand what happened - the destruction of Hosnian Prime would probably be a massive enough event that most of the First Order would be preoccupied. But the build up, and all of the planning for this final battle, to be cut short by the destruction? That was a bit of a bummer. I felt for all of the strategic thinking that Rose and Paige brought up were never fully realized without the chance to actually be in action doing those things! (If I may be so bold: last time I was let down in a similar fashion by this? Breaking Dawn when the vampire families never really fight.)

As much as I love taking looks into other First Order ravaged systems, I wanted to see a bit more of what was going on in the Resistance during this time. The story line brought up similarities to Poe Dameron's last completed arc, and it struck me to see how powerless the Resistance was (literally just wanting pictures of them being evil!) even up until the destruction of Hosnian Prime.

25. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I really enjoyed this book and I agree with @Grand Admiral Paxis that it would have been better if it was released before the movie instead of say, Canto Bight? Not that I didn't enjoy that book either, but I felt like this book connects more with TLJ than Canto Bight.