main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars TMG

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: TCG' started by threepio_mania, Jan 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. threepio_mania

threepio_mania Jedi Master star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    Who else thinks that WOTC should make a Star Wars Tradable Miniatures Game, similar to the one for Dungeons and Dragons that came out a couple of months ago? I think they should make more than one version of each main character(a common/uncommon and a rare) with a few coming in the starter.

2. RedneckJedi

RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 20, 2002
    I've already read 'net rumors that WotC had this in the works. I do have some thoughts about it, too.

First, I feel like they're already dipping too deep in a gaming well for the franchise. I can't say exactly how successful the TCG is, but if they're scrambling to get the Star Wars gamer's dollar, they'll be spreading themselves pretty thin with a collectible miniatures game.

Also, the miniatures' popularity, IMO, is based largely on the age group of teenagers and younger. Kids eat up the game because they can play as their favorite comic book hero/villain. I'm not sure I can see kids jumping into Star Wars the same way, when it's an older generation that really eats it up. The only time Star Wars collectors will buy these is to get each Character, then be done with it... if they even bother.

On the plus side, the miniatures are quite popular right now, and I've noticed that there are quite a few adults and kids alike who play Warhammer and other "campaign-based" miniature games. Perhaps if done properly, it can be successful.

Finally, I feel that if Wizards makes a game like this for Star Wars, it will only hurt the TCG by drawing purchasing dollars away from it.

3. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    I have heard they are making one too, but I cannot remember where. I seem to remember it being an official source of some kind like the website or a magazine.

4. -Revan-

-Revan- Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2004
    hey there.
    someone working on the project all but confirmed it on the WotC boards. i'll post a link if i can find it again.
    i'm stoked about this game.

5. RedneckJedi

RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 20, 2002
    While I don't have an actual WotC rep stating anything as you purport threepio_mania, I did find the following sites after doing some forum searching at Wizard's site.

GamingReport.com article on 12/3/2003

Star Wars RPG Discussion thread

In a nutshell, the game is of the Dungeons & Dragons miniatures variety. I guess I had it in my head it would be more like Heroclix. So, I guess I'll be looking into the D&D game to get a handle on its "fun factor".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.