main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I.E., CA Star Wars to be in Rose Parade

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by jangosmom, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jangosmom

jangosmom Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2005
    On January 1, 2007, denizens of a galaxy far, far away will march down the streets of Pasadena, California, in a one-of-a-kind "Star Wars Spectacular" during the 118th Pasadena Tournament of Roses Parade®.
    More than 350 Star Wars characters, including stormtroopers, Imperial officers, Ewoks and Darth Vader himself will entertain the nearly one million people expected to line the streets of Pasadena to see the Parade in person and the tens of millions of more around the world who tune in via multiple television broadcasts.

The massive Imperial stormtrooper contingent will comprise members of the international 501st Legion, a costuming and volunteer organization made up of Star Wars fans. Some 200 stormtroopers from more than 20 countries will participate in the Tournament of Roses Parade, showcasing the emblems and colors of their local garrisons.

"During the global premiere of Star Wars: Episode III last May, George Lucas was deeply impressed by the presence of 501st Legion members around the globe, and we wanted to honor them for their loyal support of Star Wars and their global philanthropy," said Tom Warner, Senior Director of Marketing for Lucasfilm Ltd. Members of the 501st regularly volunteer their time to support local charitable efforts. Read more about the 501st in this article.

Providing musical entertainment in the "Star Wars Spectacular" will be the renowned Grambling State University Tiger Marching Band.

In keeping with this year's Parade theme "Our Good Nature," the "Star Wars Spectacular" will feature the Ewoks, residents of the forest moon of Endor, who will ride on a float showcasing their planet's unique environment with a plea to "Save the Trees."

The celebration of Star Wars -- which coincides with the start of the 30th anniversary of the epic, six-episode adventure -- will also showcase a float that depicts the romantic beauty of Naboo, the garden planet of the Star Wars galaxy.

"Being part of a grand tradition like the Rose Parade is a fantastic way to kick off this milestone year," Warner said. Over Memorial Day Weekend 2007, a large fan convention, Star Wars Celebration IV, is expected to attract more than 30,000 worldwide fans to the Los Angeles Convention Center.

2. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    Spooky, I was just thinking how cool that would be to see the other day!

3. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    I think we need to plan on the group being there to put the flowers on New Years Eve. Steve Sansweet said they'd need the help and it sounds like it had FF written all over it!!

4. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    This will be cool as the floats remain on display in Sierra Madre for a few days afterwards.

5. HanChewie

HanChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2006
    I think it sounds great as a Fan Force activity since I have never been to the Rose Parade or even helped with the floats. It would be great if all the local FF did this. What a way to celebrate 3o years of Star Wars.

6. feltak

feltak Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2005
    Is it possible for some of us to be in it as well or are the fan force not welcome?

7. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    I think most of the participants will be invited from the costuming groups of the 501st/Rebel Legion from all over the world.

8. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    I went to the SW panel at the CC when Steve Stansweet announced the Rose Parade info. From what I understand, it's only going to be for memebers of the 501st and they have to volunteer for it. Lucas will chose 100(?) of those people from around the world to march in the parade.

9. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    You can sign up to put flowers on the floats as a volunteer but it's not known if volunteers will be able to put flowers on the Star Wars floats yet.

Either way you'll be able to go see the floats after the parade for some photo ops!

10. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    He mentioned that, too. He said that it would be great if it was fans putting the flowers on it. Did you read something more current?

11. arodofhoth

arodofhoth Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2005
    my friend works for a copmany called Pheonix the builds floats.

12. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Can you find out any information about the SW float from them?

13. arodofhoth

arodofhoth Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2005
    I'll see what I could do;)

14. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    The Rose Parade website has the info about the general parade. erm, let me see if I can find the link again.

Found it. Click Click Click

Says to volunteer for float decorating you need to contact the float building companies driectly.

15. JediLarryB

JediLarryB Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2003
    I'm sure as the event draws closer, say around October, volunteer info will be posted via the Official Site and disseminated via the local FanForces.

Crunch-time for float building volunteers is really the week, few days, and night before the event. The float building companies start well before, but don't need volunteers for pressing, sticking, gluing, etc., until the final week. After all, they don't want their live floats dying before their time. So make your arrangements and be ready.

As Obi-Wan urges: "Patience."

16. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    If you have AAA, their magazine usually has a little blurb in it during the holidays telling about volunteering for general float decorating. Not sure if that will include the SW floats or not. Either way, it's something I think would be fun!

17. han-shot-first

han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda star 4 VIP

May 6, 2006
    sounds like fun!:)

18. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    George Lucas to be Rose Parade grand marshal
    Parade has ?always had a very special place? in the director?s heart

AP
    Director George Lucas appears through curtains after Tournament of Roses President Paul L. Holman announced Lucas as the Grand Marshal for the 2007 Tournament of Roses on Sept. 19.

PASADENA, Calif. - The Force will be with the Rose Parade next year. Perhaps that will keep the rain away this time.

?Star Wars? creator George Lucas was named Tuesday as grand marshal of the 118th annual Tournament of Roses.

To the soaring strains of the ?Star Wars? theme, Lucas arrived at the Tournament of Roses headquarters to accept the honor. On hand to greet him were ?Star Wars? characters such as a roaring Chewbacca and a diminutive Ewok.

MSNBC

19. estherchou

estherchou Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2006
    Check out the Pasadena Star-News for a story and video of the announcement. (The paradeis held in Pasadena, CA) http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_4365690

20. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    Yeah, we know where the parade is. We live in So Cal. [face_laugh]

21. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Be nice AaS!

22. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    I'm seriously thinking about volunteering for this. I told my co-worker about it and he said I should cause I'd be with my "peeps" and it'd be a ton of fun. So I'm definitely thinking about it.

23. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    I'll be working through the holidays but will definitly be going to Sierra Madre/Arcadia afterwards to go see all the floats.

24. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    The following was posted by SkyRyder from the LAFF:

"I got picked to march in the Rose Parade. I got picked to march in the Rose Parade. I got my letter in the mail today. It's all official, Lucasfilm Letterhead and all. I have to sign some waviers and then send it back before the 17th."

He's in the 501st with a Stormtrooper costume and was choosen to be one of the people that gets to march with the Lucas Film floats in the Rose Parade!

How cool is that!!

Congratulations Scott!

25. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Linda, Edgar, and... I think Roger from our group also got chosen. Huzzah! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.