main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Star Wars trailers and commercials during the release of the prequels

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SW Saga Fan, Sep 22, 2016.

1. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    After having come across some of the commercials that were on TV during the release of the prequels, I've decided to create a thread gathering the different TV trailers and commercials during the release of the prequels from 1999 to 2005.

Let's begin with a funny TV commercials, this one for Lay's [face_laugh]:

Jake Llyod for Pepsi:

For Pizza Hut, KFC and Taco Bell:

Trailers for The Phantom Menace in 1999:

The first official trailer for Episode I which was released, I believe, in November 1998:

The second trailer for Episode I, released at the beginning of 1999:

2. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    I’ll say this for the prequels: each of them had damn good trailers.

The Krynoid Man likes this.
  3. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    Can we talk about the trailers/our experience watching them in this thread too?

Because I had dial-up internet until 2005. And man, I remember trying to load the ROTS teaser back in October 2004 (or was it November?) and it took forever. I basically rejoiced after each new frame loaded & then replayed the entire thing up to that new frame. This frame-by-frame viewing is one of the reasons I noticed that the shot where Mace twirls with his lightsaber from the ROTS teaser is slightly zoomed in from the final theatrical version (or maybe it's an alternate take?)...probably to hide who he's fighting...whom the full trailer then decided to spoil anyway lol

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The teaser trailer for ROTS is my most favorite trailer ever.

Evening Star likes this.
  5. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    It’s good, but no trailer will ever top this:

I honestly believe this to be the greatest trailer ever made. No other trailer even comes close.

seventhbeacon likes this.
  6. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Actually the first tv spot is a proof that Jar Jar wasn't hated in that time or Lays woudn't use it. ;)
    About the first trailer of TPM: I suddenly realized that the same approach was used in the first TFA trailers.. So they .. just made some mirroring?

SW Saga Fan likes this.
  7. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Some user made a modern style trailers of the prequels, I comaprated the AOTC trailer and the fan made and I realize that AOTC was introduced as more action oriented movie than it was. In this aspect I like more the pace of the fan trailer but who knows, maybe it would look to slow to the audiencies (I mean too slow for SW)
    the original one is here:

and the fan trailer is this:

8. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    Funny TV spot for Attack of the Clones, that parodies the Spiderman trailer

9. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I remember those commercials like they came out yesterday...I went all out with a lot of that stuff too. Had all the different Pepsi cans for a while and bought Lays products like they were going to be discontinued.

whostheBossk likes this.
  10. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I remember that Episode III commercial with Burger King where the 2 kids are eating and the boy for some reason said "I rather kiss a Wookiee!" And the girl is like "I can arrange that." And Chewie comes out.

Also my dad's friend in Florida still has Pepsi cans from Episode I with Padme's face on it. And this was in 2006 the last time I was there!

11. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    Most of the food commercials, if I remember correctly, came out prior to the film release... so I'm pretty sure that's not evidence that most people didn't hate Jar Jar en masse once the films came out.

12. Negotiator1138

Negotiator1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 23, 2016
    Tonyg That modern trailer for AOTC is amazing! I really love it!

Tonyg likes this.
  13. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    A little known sneak peek footage from a European Convention. As far as I know, this was never released to the public, and this is the only video of it out there...

Also, maybe someone can help me out here...

Does anyone remember some kind of trailer, or tv spot or something for AOTC that had a still shot of C-3PO turned sideways and off to the side with the words "Do droids dream" on the other side?

I swore I saw this as part of a trailer or something at one point where it was a bunch of still images for AOTC put together with little Star Wars like questions...

maybe I am just losing my mind...

DarthAnakin96, Tonyg and Evening Star like this.
  14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Right. The concern about Jar Jar began a few weeks before release, when an audio excerpt of Jar Jar speaking made its way online and caused a lot of upheaval. But before then, no one made a judgment about him because they were expecting him to be like Chewbacca or Yoda.

15. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    This commercial is probably my favorite, one of the only ones that featured battledroids .