main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars tries to make young people hate God

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Ree Yees, Dec 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fat_Fett

Fat_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2001
    :D

I'm a PK (pastor's kid) and I really get helluva p*ssed and I pity tha fool who says that Star Wars is evil. It's that same tiny group that gets us all angry when they say the LOTR trilogy is evil because it has wizardry in it (actually, Tolkien himself said there were Christian allegories in the story. While they weren't "in your face" obvious, you could still tell who was representing who - Gandalf=most powerful man on the good side who resurrects from death to defeat evil. =Jesus).
    You can even see some Christian allegories, or rather morals, in Star Wars. An evil man repenting of his deeds (Vader), and a wise man sacrificing himself for the good of all people (Obi-Wan).
    So rather than beeing harmful to Christians, Star Wars is rather helpful, and at worst it could be accused of involving foreign religions. Still, it isn't telling us to go into the streets and say "Praise Jesus!" and blow ourselves up. Star Wars teaches us very good morals and is actually a fun way for kids to relate biblical stuff to pop culture.
    In the words of Forrest Gump, "And that's all I got to say about that."

mmmmmmm.....turkey leftovers.....
    :D

2. Warlord_Ken

Warlord_Ken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    Star Wars doesn't even have to be a Christian-like movie. It's rather obvious that Christianity does not exist in the SW universe (Jesuits may have went far and wide but I don't think they went THAT far.). I think that the people who wrote this article are religiously intolerent bastards who can't understand that there are other religions out there that people worship other than their own.

3. RevengeJedi

RevengeJedi Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2001
    Look, but don't touch
    Touch, but don't taste
    Taste, but don't indulge

If they're going to attack something, go after Poke' man damnit!!!!! Leave our Star Wars, WWF Wresttling alone!!!!!!

4. TheJediCharles

TheJediCharles Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 28, 2001
    This is what I've always told any religious fanatic that harped on Star Wars in my presense.

"Star Wars is just an imaginative make-believe story. God gave us our imaginations and our drive to create and share beauty and art; why would He give us the capacity to imagine at all if He didn't wish us to? I don't think God takes offense in our imagining something besides Him or His from time to time. If anything, He could take offense in our wasting it."

They ususally shut up at that point.

5. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    ::claps:: I heartily agree! :)

::slaps her head:: Decapitation in ESB... Luke's vision in the cave... D-U-H!!! ::shakes her head:: Sorry guys. My memory seems to be very short nowadays... :p Gotta watch all 4 movies again (haven't watched them for 3 months or so! :eek: )

6. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    That is so not true... I'm a young person and i find that SW does not make me hate God

7. Rakima_55

Rakima_55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 3, 2002
    What are they gonna do about it? Sue GL? I mean, come on!

8. jedimasterleslie

jedimasterleslie Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2001
    that is the stupidest thing i have ever heard star wars is the classic struggle between good and evil there are no religious over tones it is science fiction or fantasy even though i am sure there are some christian denominations out there who think differently and see anti god in everything

9. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Shmi is a female slave on Tatooine. She is not a virgin, trust me.

We don't know if she's a virgin or not. But Anakin is implied to be a Virgin birth, meaning that she did not have sexual relations with anyone prior to being pregnant with him. Also, Owen Lars is not Shmi's son. He is her step-son.

10. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Sturm is right.

And if you look further, you can see the analogy in there: Jesus as the Son of God was born without having a human father, because God chose a special way for him. In Star Wars, the Chosen One is "child of the Force", doesn't have a human father either. It's the same principle, just set in different setting.

11. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Yes, but what they fail to see is that immaculate conception is not just a Chritian thing. It has been round for ages before and after Christ. In legends and myths and tales of old, many times the great hero or chosen one was an immaculate conception.

Christ was not thefirst time that theory was used.

12. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    I actually hope the whole "emaculate Force conception" thing is retconned out one of these days. I thought it was a stupid idea when I read it in the Bible(no offense to any Christians) and I think it's stupid in SW. The very term "virgin mother" gets on my nerves. But now I'm I'm getting off topic so I will just say: Fundies suck.

13. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I didn't like the virgin birth aspects at first, nor midi-chlorians, but they grew on me.

14. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    By levitation in ANH, do they mean the flying probe droids?

15. Funky_Naked_Jawa

Funky_Naked_Jawa Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2001
    In regards to original article

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!

Man! And people say WE don't have a life!

Thank you thank you thank you to whomever found that link. That was the best laugh I've had in years.

That is without a doubt the single most sadly pathetic excuse to justify your cause that I have ever seen in my life.

The fact that the author doesn't distinguish between showing objectionable material and glorifying objectionable material is the most amusing.

Does not the Bible have many of the same examples within it? Does that make the Bible negativelly influential?

Let's see:

The Bible speaks of the Beast. That could be equated to aleins and Monsters. (Not quite sure what an alein is yet)

They also have whores. (Which could be likened to the sexuality/homosexuality angle.

Ahhh...and lets not forget Sodom and Gomorrah. Some more sexuality/homosexuality offenses.

Slave labor. Do I need to go here? Book of Exodus pretty much nails that one down. And I think the Egyptians were just a wee bit more brutal than Watto.

Death and Violence. Hell...the Bible is all ABOUT death and violence.

Return of the Jedi had Beast consumption of a live animal. Yeah, but at least they didn't take his blood and smear it over Obi-Wan's door.

TPM had an exceptionally evil character. What about Satan? You don't get much more evil than that.

And my personal favorite: repeatedly equating "the force" with God's Will and His Control.

Heh. Imagine if Lucas actually had the Jedi as worshippers of GOD. Christian fundamentalists would have been all OVER him for that one.

I'm not trying to slam the Bible or anything, but rather the point (or lack thereof) of the overall article. Just because objectionable material is showcased does not in any way mean that it is promoting it to younger viewers.

Oy. Why are people so dumb. I fear for our children.

16. jainasolo2001

jainasolo2001 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    I hate to say this, and I don't know if it's already been said (I didn't read all the posts) But the people who say that there is violence, sexuality, drinking, etc. in Star Wars and wouldn't let their children watch it, are hypocrites. (sp?) Do they let their children read the Bible. Our Holy Book has all that too. Violence- well, we can't get through Genesis without a murder.
    Sexuality- have you ever read Song of Solomon?
    Drinking- even our Lord changed water into wine in one of his first miracles.

Capish?

17. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    #Resists urge to start a "The Bible tries to make young people hate the Force" thread...#

18. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Your welcome, Funky Naked Jawa.

It is indeed a funny article, and I think it is something more Star Wars fans should read, so I'm upping it :D

19. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Hehe, the site has written an article on AOTC, too... ;) [face_laugh] Check it out here.

My favorites are:

Sex/Homosexuality (S):

- brief rear female nudity through transparent clothing
    - man/woman rolling over each other, clothed
    - excessive breast exposure
    - ghosting of female anatomy through thin clothing, repeatedly
    - ROTFLMAO!!! [face_laugh] :p

- attempted murders, one by a child

- consumption of a story character by a beast
    - When? Who? ?[face_plain]

- gruesome character death by impalement

- amputation
    - Well, aren't amputations a Star Wars tradition? ;) :p

Overall, that whole thing made me laugh. I feel sorry for those people...

20. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002
    • great falls

hey! at least they liked something! ;) :p

i liked this one, too...
    • a cigarette is seen but not smoked

i wonder if they are they talking about the "death stick"? :confused: ...

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    They must have missed a few things:

The Jedi tower top looks like a giant penis.

Ms. Portman shows the skin of her back.

There is a nipple shot.

Heyden was on top of Portman with his 'saber' (whenhe killed those two poisonous things).

Its all so corrupting! We are sinners! Behold we are in the shrouds of evil!

Such a bunch of nonsense. I agree with a previous poster,"And they say we don't have lives."

22. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    That has GOT to be a joke. I'd like to see the wisdom score applied to the Holy Bible [face_plain]

23. GrandMoffTarkin

GrandMoffTarkin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 22, 2001
    What I love is that they refer to the death sticks, but "forget" to mention anything about Obi-Wan's follow up lines. [face_laugh]

24. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002
    That has GOT to be a joke. I'd like to see the wisdom score applied to the Holy Bible

amen to that, brother!!

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Ya know, the thing these extreme sorts of people miss, every single time, is when you attack something, or picket, or bash at, what happens is many people who did not notice it will now have a look. There will be people who have not seen SW who will now go view it just to "See what they are talking about."

Now this falls under the Controversy=Popularity idea. The problem with these people is when mainstreamer hear them, all they see is this extremist attitude which they want nothing to do with. And those people will then be viewed in a negative light. When you take an extreme(and hateful) view, it is you who will be hated.

Here is an example:A group of people did a "sit down" at the NY WWE(was WWF) offices, with signs that said "Wrestlingis destroying my childs mind." LMAO...LOL....LMAO, I still get a giggle from that. I feel sorry for their kids cuz that person with the sign WAS THEIR PARENT. If they were so worried about what their kid was watching, why were they sitting soemwhere with a sign instead of watching/teaching/spending time with their kids? They obviously had time on their hands and decided to hold a sign instead.

Movies, TV and comic books do not destroy kid's minds, bad parents do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.