main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars tries to make young people hate God

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Ree Yees, Dec 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MynDonos

MynDonos Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2002
    I especially like the protest of TPM with "Animals eating animals." God forbid we have to see NATURE in action here.

2. filmbuff227

filmbuff227 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    This is ridiculous. I'm so tired of these Christian extremists taking anything and everything and turning it into an issue. There's no sense in this. What do they want us all to be ammush? I can't believe this. I agree with whoever said that TV, Movies, and comics do not destroy children's minds, parents do. They need to get a life.

3. annie_skywalker001

annie_skywalker001 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    The most hilarious bit was "innapropriate touching". HAHAHAHAHA ROTFLOL!!!!!

4. sykomav

sykomav Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    that article was pure facist garbage. this only proves that the christian coalition is paving one great big superhighway to hell(the road to hell is paved with good intentions). i wonder how they would feel if they went and read some greek mythology and found that zeus fathered several children by mortal women( implication of a virgin birth in tpm). and if i remember correctly there are several instances in the bible where key biblical figures committed adultery, cheating on spouses, a father almost sacrificing his own son at gods command only to be told not to by god and that it was a test of faith and devotion. now tell me who is the more sick and morally wrong: people who watch and enjoy star wars or people who would devote their lives to blindly following a god who is so obviously sadistic and cruel. and if these peolpe are such good christians why are they continously disobeying god? judge not lest ye be judged thyself.

5. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    What I love is that they refer to the death sticks, but "forget" to mention anything about Obi-Wan's follow up lines.

You make a very good point, GrandMoffTarkin. They point out a lot of bad things, these people, like child slavery, death sticks, killing, all that kind of stuff. What they seem to miss is that these things are portrayed as bad! Yes, there are people in the trilogy who appear to take enjoyment in violence, but is the message being sent out that this is a good thing? No, it's not.

I'm interested that they haven't tried to read homosexuality into R2 and 3PO's relationship. Imagine how much mileage they'd get out of that.

I am not religious, but I have nothing against people who are. I know that this is not typical of most right minded people who have a firm grip on reality and just happen to be religious as well. The kind of people who write articles like these really need to have a good think about how hypocritical they are being. I've been watching Star Wars all my life. Have I been corupted by it? (I'm not religious...OH NO!! It's gotten me too! Ahhhhhgh!!! :p ) No I haven't. Star Wars sends out good messages, messages of love and sacrifice and good triumphing over evil. There is darkness and bad times, but the good guys triumph, because they are good and pure of heart. Wether it's the light side of the Force, or being true to god, does it matter? I don't see a difference, myself.

I feel compeled to just breifly mention Harry Potter here. Not that I'm an expert or anything, but HP is as removed from "genuine" witchcraft as it is possible to be. There is no religious element, it's all quasi-latin words. And these people are so blinded by their "oh, shock-horor" reaction to the presence of "magic" and "witchcraft," that, just as with SW, they miss the whole point. They completely overlook the good messages being sent out. Messages of friendship and love, of good triumphing over evil, of sacrifice to save loved ones, of bravery, the list goes on and on.

It just amazes me, that's all. It amazes me that people can be so short sighted. They cn watch the movies or read the books for hours on end, picking out every tiny reference they feel like vilifying, but they don't watch them. They don't get the message, don't listen to what is being said. If they did, they would stop trying to make out tht children are going to be corupted by the sheer evil of it all. It's quite sad, really.

Oh, and just on a side note, where in AOTC is a principal character eaten by "a beast." The only example of beast eating I can recal is the Nexu jumping on that Geonosian. Now they're making up new things to vilify as well.

6. jgarver359

jgarver359 Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2002
    I am a strict christian. This is more overkill than anything my mother ever said. My mother is one of those christians that says that the internet is evil, and the world ends in an hour.

7. Starkist

Starkist Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2002
    I read their review of Lord of the Rings... they say it's very evil. Satan is the ultimate evil isn't he?

Anyhow, I'm as conservative and fundamentalist as you'll see on a star wars message board, and this site is scary. :p They seem to forget that this is fiction. Even moreso they don't seem to notice that the bad things are usually done by bad people.

8. R2D2-PENA

R2D2-PENA Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 6, 2001
    I am also a Christian and although i have disagreed with many people here in the past, i tend to agree with all of you on this one. This is ridiculous.

From my point of view they seem to miss one thing. Basically these movies are trying to show the difference between good and evil and the consecuenses of evil actions. They must realize that ALL entertainment in one form or another will be flawed, especially entertainment done by people who have not the same thinking pattern as them. Obviously GL is not christian but he is trying to make these movies to show a "general" difference between good and evil, not excluding anyone in the picture. I agree about the "force" issue, in that it does preach a certain philosophy, but again we must remember that is is just a MOVIE and ENTERTAINMENT, the force is the only way i see that GL could have touched the subject from a religiously or denominationally unbiased point of view.

Those people are the ones that give real christians a bad name. I'm sorry for them, i don't agree with them, and hopefully those that read those types of articles will not relate true christians with this kind of babbling and unconcious ranting.

Quoting the great Master: "Forgive them, for they know not what they do".

9. Greesha

Greesha Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    I am a 14-year-old Christian and those reviews were REDICULOUS! As a few people mentioned before, a lot of the stuff they had a problem with (ie child slavery) was portrayed as bad, so I don't see a problem with it being in a movie. And statue nudity, give me a break! I wouldn't even have known it was there if I hadn't seen it in the review. And of course there has to be violence. How else can there be a war? I suppose they expect the bad guys to just sit down and talk...What a boring movie that would be!

Has anyone else tried emailing them? I did and was informed that the address doesn't exist. I wonder if that's how they avoid dealing with emails like the one I was going to send them...

10. R2D2-PENA

R2D2-PENA Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 6, 2001
    This reminds me of the people who saw the word SEX in the Lion King. COME ON!!! are they watching the movie or are they watching to start a fight!?

11. Fat_Fett

Fat_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2001
    "Quoting the great Master: "Forgive them, for they know not what they do". "

Amen to that, Pena!

You are right - these people give us Christians bad names. I would also would appreciate it if anyone commenting on this who is not a Christian would not generalize these people as the Christian coalition or JUST Christians.

The Bible itself is one of the most gory religious books around! When Queen Jezebel is THROWN OFF A BALCONY (!).....well, I'll just quote the Good Book :
    "This new king merely looked up at her tower window and asked the everlasting question God asks
    when Jezebel is reigning.
    "Who is on my side? Who?"

When two or three eunuchs looked down at him,
    "[Jehu] said , 'Throw her down.' So they threw her down
    and some of her blood was sprinkled on the wall
    and on the horses, and he trampled her under foot."
    2 Kings 9:32,33
    Jehu's chariot finished the breaking of her body;
    symbol that the enemy lies crushed under the King's feet.
    Gruesome death by a calm commander,
    who sat down to eat in peace
    at the very place of Jezebel-rule.
    While he feasted in victory,
    Jezebel was eaten by dogs who licked
    her blood and left only a few bones to bury."

And this ISN'T VIOLENCE? Sampson killed 1000 Philistines by clubbing them to death with a jawbone, then he killed a whole STADIUM full of them by crushing them along with himself, and when a woman killed Sisera....."She put her hand to the nail, and her right hand to the workmen's hammer; and with the hammer she smote Sisera, she smote off his head, when she had pierced and stricken through his temples."

The Bible is violent....these "Christians" fail to notice this.

My dad is a pastor and he has no problem with Star Wars.

*Runs to get his dad so he can perform an exorcism on the people who run that web site*

12. Darth was Mauled

Darth was Mauled Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2000
    It's people like these who give Christians, especially fundamentalist Christians, like myself, a bad name.

13. Rakima_55

Rakima_55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 3, 2002
    This is very ironic. For crying out loud, they should rate the Bible!

14. DeathStickVendor

DeathStickVendor Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2002
    I'm just dissappointed they gave drugs and alcohol a zero...

15. Mafia_Man

Mafia_Man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2001
    I think the decapitation is 3PO getting his head thrown off or something or the sort.

16. BLUEJEDI3

BLUEJEDI3 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Since i believe in the bible. I find that star wars has an interesting relation to what the bible teaches. The bible teaches that we all have sinfull tendencies,in another words we all have to fight the dark side of our sinfull nature. And events in our lives may make that harder or easier, genitics may have somthing to with this as well. Like Anikin we all have choices in life to make for good or for bad. Some bad choices can have serious effects on ourselves and the people around us.
    For example a father who abuses his teenage daughter has given into the dark side in the worst possible way. The point is the dark side beckons to our sinfull nature and must be fought.
    The bible also teaches forgiveness for those who repent from there evil ways. Re: Darth Vader goes back to the light in the end and does good. But change from bad to good is is ultimately required.

I think any thinking person wheather they believe in the bible or not, gets the point from the starwars series what has to be fought against in real life if we want to be a good person. In fact sometimes i've had friends joke about somebody who they notice isn't a very nice person and maybe at one time they were say , " they have gone over to the dark side now." Hmmmmm i wonder where that expression came from.

17. Lilu

Lilu Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2000
    *LOOOOL*

And these people call US freakey geeks with no real life????

*LOOL*

18. DeJade_Vu

DeJade_Vu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002

I'm an avid Christian with avid Christian parents, but I or my parents would never so much as CONSIDER that SW makes kids hate God. That is just NOT TRUE. There are so many Christian elements in SW! I hate it when people go around condemning things that aren't even wrong. Ugh. It totally spoils my enjoyment of it.

What else is annoying is when people condemn the MOVIE Lord of the Rings but have absolutely no qualms about the books. The movie is almost exactly like the books. Geez that's annoying!

19. LeeKenobi

LeeKenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 13, 2002
    Amen, DeJade.

I'm a Christian too.
    It seems to me that the CAP is nothing more than one of those psycho cults that is trying to tell people what to think.
    This is brainwashing people who want to do the best for their kids. This sort of slander against something as innocent as SW proves that these so-called 'Christians' have nothing better to do with their time.

Oh P.S.--I think God and Jesus are both SW fans!

20. PlastiqPhantom

PlastiqPhantom Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2002
    I just want to say that I like Star Wars :D

21. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Religious conversation is not allowed in this forum, Star Wars related or otherwise.

Please continue this in The Senate Floor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.