main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Star Wars Trilogy" for Nintendo Gameboy Advance -- discussion thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Nightowl, Jul 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nightowl

Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    Well, Lucasarts & Ubisoft is planning to release a new GBA game to coincide with the DVD release. Personally, I'd have preferred an updated version of the ol' SNES Super Star Wars games -- rolling all three films into one cartridge seems like a bad idea to me. The graphics don't seem all that impressive either, but maybe it's just me. The multiplayer modes sound cool, though. Discuss.

2. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    I'm not happy at all. This will be another wasted opportunity to bring the license to the GBA. The multiplayer modes, etc. may be of some interest, but I have said all along that someone should consider publishing the original SNES trilogy. But do they listen? No, of course not.

What interests me is that THQ has been replaced by Ubi-Soft for this Star Wars title. I wonder why.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > The graphics don't seem all that impressive either, but maybe it's just me. The multiplayer modes sound cool, though. Discuss.

Links would be useful.

Edit: Never mind. Found it.

http://www.starwars.com/gaming/videogames/news/news20040712.html

4. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Wow. And I thought that "Masters Of Teras Kasai" was the worst SW game ever made.

Looks like we got ourselves a new champion.

5. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    Dude...it's all cel-shaded and stuff.

Kick ass.

For GBA graphics, they look pretty damn good. But they've never gotten the Force power system right with the GBA games.

I, too, would like to see an updated version of the SNES trilogy of games, possibly as an anthology packed into one cartridge.

6. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    It looks terrible, but I'm still going to buy it.

7. Chris Knight

Chris Knight TFN Humor Staff star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    The original NES Star Wars game was beautiful. Although it *did* have a few asides that weren't in the movie, like Luke's quest to find Artoo while looking for a stronger blaster to kill Sandpeople (both wrapped and UN-wrapped... yup the NES version showed you what Tusken Raiders looked like beneath the bandages :D) but other than that, was a lot of fun to play.

I still have the MIDI-ized Mos Eisley theme in my head from that one :) Would love to see it brought to GBA.

8. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    A slightly stripped-down version of the NES title was released by UbiSoft for the original greenscreen behemoth back around 1992-93...agreed that they shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater, and should instead port the SNES trilogy over.

9. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I Like the cell shade... but the game isn't looking promising...

10. Palpatine346

Palpatine346 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 21, 2004
    What are you talking about?! This thing looks sweeeet! ha ha ha ha!!!!!!! he he he he!!!!!!!!

P346

11. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    The graphics look fine, IMO. And it's hard to tell how it will play from those screenshots alone.

// shrug //

Tough crowd.

12. JHoSSmAn

JHoSSmAn Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2001
    Do you know, all you need it st spam KD's not kill a rancor?

13. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Who what the which-why?

14. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    The first time i ever played the nes version of Star Wars, and many times after that, when i came to the caves with the Sand People, i never knew what the crap they were. It looked like they were giant chickens. They beared no resemblance to the Tusken Raiders at all. That was actually before i got interested in Star Wars as a real fan, so i dont know if i was didnt know what a Tusken Raider was back then....

15. _dArTh_SoLo

_dArTh_SoLo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    This game looks horrible.

Hopefully it plays better than it looks, or I'm going to be kind of dissapointed. I loved the SNES games and they should've just ported those over, but I guess it's nice to have a change...

And I hope the game isn't too short. They're covering all 3 games in one, so I hope they don't skip too much.

16. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    September's gonna be an expensive month!

17. Jedi-Finney

Jedi-Finney Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    it looks decent for a GBA game.

18. redleader92055

redleader92055 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 9, 2003
    <"September's gonna be an expensive month!">[face_laugh]LMAO

-- I think this game is going to be good in fact i might go buy my first game boy ever just to play it ..LOL portables suck

19. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    I've learned to open myself up to different ways for games to look after playing wind waker so these graphics looks very interesting.
    As for porting the SNES series over, the GBA has fewer buttons than the SNES controller. Would it be able to make the move to GBA in a comfortable way?

20. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    What are your guys' problems? You guys are SO whiney!! This game looks AWESOME. I can't wait.

21. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...well, my initial reaction to this news was "Sounds great!"

Then, when i went to ubisoft's site, and saw the screenshot of Luke vs. Vader, i thought "man, that doesn't look so great"...

But those shots from the official site have me feeling a bit better about the title..

REMEMBER: it's how the game plays in the end that matters, NOT how it looks in screenshots ("Flight of the Falcon", anyone?)

22. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    This game is at comic-con for people to try out. Has anyone who is at comic-con played it yet? Any good?

Oh, and I assume Flight of the Falcon sucked then?

23. Lukes_Lightsaber

Lukes_Lightsaber Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    The Tatooine level of FOF was fun!

This game looks sucky. I'll just stick to KOTR and Jedi Outcast for my lightsaber fix.

24. Richard-Drahcir

Richard-Drahcir Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2004
    All you negative people who are bashing the game, you're entitled to your opinion but i think your wrong. This game looks pretty good and i heard that there are 19 levels. besides for a 2d game the graphics look pretty good.

hopefuly there are some non luke levels. i really want to die against darth as obi-wan, dodge asteroids and blast storm troopers as han and leia and blow the death star as lando.

Does any1 know what the levels will be, apart from the obvious ones, e.g. luke v darth *2, endor racing and yavin 4 space battle cos i'm interested.

ps what is the UK release date?

25. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    Play.com has a list of features:

Special Features
    19 Single player missions
    Two multiplayer modes for 2 players
    Gameplay variety - Top down driving and shooting, Cooperation levels with R2D2, Multiplayer modes, Jedi Powers & abilities
    Exclusive Classic trilogy material as Bonus
    Re-recorded original music from John Williams
    Sounds FX directly from the movies (blaster, lightsaber, etc)
    Original voices pronouncing onomatopoeias

Despite the UK getting both the OT DVD and Battlefront a day earlier than the USA, Apprentice of the Force isn't following the trend - it's not out here til the 24th.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.