main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Star Wars Trilogy" for Nintendo Gameboy Advance -- discussion thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Nightowl, Jul 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. young_zev

young_zev Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 1999
    It's a good game. I've played it.

The graphics are very crisp. If you liked the Clone Wars animated series, then you'll like the look of this game.

It was a little too hard for me, actually. I'm not a big GBA gamer. But it was FUN! The atmosphere is really true to the movies (for being squished into a GBA).

I plan on buying this when I get my Trilogy DVD-- then I'll be able to watch, then play GBA when I have to go to the bathroom, or eat or something, then watch again. 24 HOUR STAR WARS!!!

The multiplayer's fun, too. Lotsa little ships to fly around.

You guys are gonna dig it-- except for the naysayers who always know better. And the guys who seem intent on comparing it to console and PC games. Weird.

The rest of us will like it.

About the SNES game: What makes you think that code is even around anymore??? That game's probably been lost to the ages... sadly.

2. the-dork-knight

the-dork-knight Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 14, 2003
    IGN actually has some gameplay videos up, including the opening scroll. The music sounds pretty good there, but then again that's what we've all come to expect from SW games. The actual gameplay looks pretty good, IMHO. The animation is smooth and the sprites are well detailed. I think I'll have to be picking this one up.

3. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    This game actually looks fun. I might pick this one up when it comes out.

4. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    To answer the question, there is no doubt that the code for the original trilogy is available from somewhere. Just look at the countless number of compilation packages that are being released each year and you will see that each company keeps track of their old titles in some way or form. Of course, there is every possibility that LucasArts has 'lost it', but I doubt it.

As for this one, I can see it being a decent seller, and there is no possibly way of comparing this to console or pc titles, as it is a different breed of game. But it is possible to compare it to what has come previously. I'm guessing this will be better then a majority of the previous Star Wars titles on GBA, no offense to those games. This does have a SNES trilogy feel to it, which the others lacked (though the closest comparison is probably Episode II: AOTC).

I hope this is the GBA game that I have been waiting for, and it is starting to get close.

5. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...eh, i don't think it would be hard for it top all other GBA Star Wars titles..

The only one worth a darn so far has been "New Droid Army"..

The others ("Attack of the Clones" and "Flight of the Falcon") have been beyond unplayable...

To be fair, i never did play the GBA version of "Jedi Power Battles", but if it's anything like the PS1 version, then it was crud, too..

6. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    ..figure i'll give this thread a bump, considering, in theory, this game is available TOMORROW...

I'm still kinda looking forward to this one a bit more then Battlefront (but i've never been a huge multiplayer gamer)

7. yodas_clone

yodas_clone Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 6, 2003
    i loved the SNES versions. if they were going to release the OT on a newer system it should have been for XBOX,GAMECUBE,AND PS2

i cant get battlefront because i have a gamecube and they arent makeing it for GC. :(

8. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    ...well, just got back with my copy of this one..

It was actually pretty tough to find went to 4 different computer stores that didn't get it in..Luckily, Best Buy/Future Shop here in Canada was having a huge Star Wars extravaganza (with people dressed as Star Wars Characters and everything).. I nabbed the second-to-last copy of "Apprentice"..

It's easily the best Star Wars game on the GBA..It's still no Super Star Wars, but at least this game is PLAYABLE!

So far, i've made it to the first level of the death star, where you have to get R2 to the tractor beam terminal..

Game has alot of jumping.. Lotsa dash-jumping, and a lot of "you need to find a keycard to get thru this next door" type stuff, so far..

And alot of "kill all the stormtroopers before you can move on" type deals..

The graphics are cartoony (in an cel-shaded kind of way), but very smooth..

The controls are solid, so far.. My only complaint is that, sometimes, jumping and grabbing onto a ledge can be a bit tedious, as you have to make sure your aim is near-perfect.

Overall, though, I like it...Will be interesting to see how things go in the flying levels...

9. HarpuaFSB

HarpuaFSB Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2002
    Game is okay so far, although I feel like an idiot right now...

The 2nd level on Mos Eisley with R2. He opens the first door ok but when you get to the second closed door the switch is on the other side and I can find no way to get to it. What am I missing? I've tried everything it feels like.

Again, me = not so bright today I guess.

10. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    ...well, if i remember right, there's a way for young Luke to get OVER that door, and then open it from the other side for Artoo...

Think you have to backtrack just a bit, and keep your eyes to the skies..

Also, i found alot of times that i kept mistaking the switches that you needed R2 for with the switches that you can shoot and the switches that you need keycards for..

I remember i got stuck on one door for a good 10 minutes, running around trying to find a keycard...Then i found out i just had to shoot the switch....

11. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    ...well, figure i'd update..

I completed Episode IV, and am well into Episode V..

The X-wing Death Star levels at the end of Episode IV are kind of interesting..The first one is alot like that old game "Star Control" for the PC: view is from a top-down perspective, and you have to fly around, shooting down 30 tie fighters..

Then it moves to a more traditional side-scrolling view (though still top-down) as you make the trench run. At this point, it's all about avoiding running into walls, and dodging lasers and tie fighters until Han can show up and save your bum..

I just got done with my Jedi Training on Dagobah, and am off to Bespin to try to save Han and Leia..

Game isn't particularly challenging, but it says enough about it that i keep going back to play it...

It's pretty fun.

12. HarpuaFSB

HarpuaFSB Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2002
    Thanks Drew_Atreides, I feel even dumber after I found out how to get over that door. The climbing parts are not that obvious when you start playing and first encounter them.

Overall this game is slightly better than okay. It's a wanna-be Super Star Wars and three levels into the interior of the Death Star, it's getting a little monotonous. But as Drew_Atredies correctly stated, I keep playing it so it's not all bad.

Hopefully the gameplay will changeup a little.

13. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    ...once you get into Episode V, you do start to have more variety...

I mean, it's 100% sidescrolling (and there's no level devoted to snowspeeders!), but you've got a level where you're running along, dodging walker-legs, a level where you're up against 30 wampas, and a level where you're on dagobah, learning to use your powers..

Plus, you get the lightsaber finally (though i still find i use alot of the blaster..The saber isn't the be-all end-all that it usually is in Star Wars games)

14. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    "i cant get battlefront because i have a gamecube and they arent makeing it for GC."
    There is no way that the Gamecube could handle Battlefront.The fact is the Gamecube is simply less capable then the other Two consols and The PC as a gaming platform.

15. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    The Gamecube is easily more powerful than the PS2. I'm sure they didn't port it for other reasons.

16. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    ...well, i finished Episode V..

Facing off against Darth Vader was interesting, though i don't quite remember Luke falling into the Carbonite Freezing Chamber and then having to break out 6 times... :p

The one thing i wish, with this game, was that it would last just a little bit longer....Or maybe that you weren't given infinite continues....

It's just too easy, the way it's set up...

And i find that, other then double-jump and dash, i rarely utilize force powers...

That's the one area where i find the controls to be kind of shoddy.. It just doesn't come intuitively enough, and besides moving rocks, things like Force Push and force speed just don't offer up enough of an advantage to justify the amount of force power that they eat up...

17. ppal

ppal Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 1999
    Can someone here please tell me how to get past the first mission???? Im at the point where I have to get the keycard to get past the third door in Mos Eisley. Can someone please provide me with some sort of a walkthrough if not then can you please put me in touch with someone that can!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.