main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition on DVD

Discussion in 'Archive: Providence, RI' started by mcsully007, Aug 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcsully007

mcsully007 Jedi Youngling

Aug 20, 2003
    Hey guys,

Does anyone know where (if they even came out) I can purchase the Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition on DVD? I can't find any legit copies on DVD. Everywhere I look, ebay and other bidding website, I find DVD-r, VCD or some other bootleg copy.
    I really want to purchase a manufactured product (again, if they were made).

I'm hoping I came to the right place.

Thanks!

2. Essence

Essence Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2003
    To my knowledge they haven't been released yet. If they had, I would probably own thm since I love the originals and the SE so much. I believe last I heard is that Lucus was going to concentrate on the prequels before puttig the otherson DVD. That cold be old news though.

3. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    You know you've reached the limit once you own the Holiday Special...

LOL, my sig would say after you've willingly watched it twice!

Nope, no "offical" DVDs yet. Tho my local comic store has fake DVDs of the classic versions of the movies. While I don't condone purchasing bootlegs, this is the only way I'll be able to get the movies I grew up with on DVD so...

4. idarii

idarii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    people gotta stop hatin on VHS yo. :p

i have the silver set, widescreen SE original trilogy on VHS - beautiful quality since i take good care of them.

5. Essence

Jul 16, 2003
    Dex, I am ashamed to say I have watched it way too many times for my own good. It may have caused permenent damage. We may never know.

6. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    I have 4 copies of the OT on VHS. The original on VHS with the THX thing. Then 3 copies of the SE, the gold copy, the silver and the one with a little bit of Episode II stuff on it.

7. Essence

Jul 16, 2003
    As long as we are comparing editions... :)

I have one copy of the OT and then two copies of SE (gold) and countless recordings off the Tv :)

8. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    we were going through some old videos we had recorded so many years ago and we came across one of the copies of RotJ. It was cool, now it makes me wonder if I actually saw it that many times on Saturdays when I was younger because Fox kept putting it on or we were just watching the movie over and over again. ?[face_plain]

9. DarthLucanas

DarthLucanas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2003
    I also have way too many OT versions. [face_blush]
    I have the vidoes release in 80's
    The remastered ones from mid 90's
    The Widesreen version of Special Editions.
    And I bought the gift box set with hologram on the box with the making of the movies for my friend that were widescreen format back in mid 90's.
    Wow makes me wonder how many versions of the DVD format we can expect.
    And what about the new Clone Wars shorts. Can you say Clone Wars shorts Special Editon.
    And I here no talk of Droids or Ewoks cartoons on DVD.
    And the grand daddy of all STAR WARS Holiday Special DVD [face_laugh] oooohhhhh.
    My VHS copy from Beta is getting a little old but then again maybe thats a good thing. [face_laugh]

10. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    I do believe there are official copies of the SE movies on VCD. They were only released in Asia. The official ones are hard to find though among all the other crap there is on eBay (which is where I got my set). :)

11. Essence

Jul 16, 2003
    My old Holiday Special is a copy of a copy of a copy...so it's limping along. And for a special bonus, it even has Blizzard of 78 reports on it. A flashback or something. So funny.

Ages ago, Cartoon Newtowrk played the Droids and Ewoks cartoons again. I used to watch them as a kid and when I watched them again, I was like whoa!

I also have the Trilogy when it was hosted by Carrie Fisher on the SciFi channel. Anyone see that?

12. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Ah yes, the Holiday Special. I have that too. For me, the best part of it is watching all the old commercials! All NEW episodes of the Dukes of Hazzard and Dallas! Wooo hooo!

And yes I actually remember watching those shows faithfully...LOL

/geek ON

13. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    And I here no talk of Droids or Ewoks cartoons on DVD.

actually, i'd like to have the ewoks: battle for endor movie on DVD. i think i'm one of 3 people on the face of the planet who likes that movie :)

14. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    we probably have to wait until 2006....or even 2007 for the SE OT to make it to DVD.

If the Flanneled One would just release the OT on DVD...it would satisfy millions of fans until the SE came on DVD.

15. Essence

Jul 16, 2003
    I forgot about the Ewok movies! Oh they were cute. There were two right? I liked the first one, with the boy and the girl and not the second. Though I was an idiot when I first watched ages and ages ago. I kept looking for Luke,Han and Leia :)

16. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    hehe yeah that was the first one, the caravan of courage, with the whole family. then the family died except cindel in the second one. if memory serves correctly, i believe i kept looking for chewie :p

always threw me off that the ewoks could suddenly speak basic, though...

17. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    Ah yes, the Ewok movies. They were a nice diversion. Don't exactly fit into cannon, but what are you gonna do? ;)
    I too have about 4 versions of the OT on video. But I'm proud to say I didn't buy the ones with the Ep2 stuff on them. Take that Lucas marketing!
    Maybe someday they'll put out the end all be all DVD set which should include:
    *OT, proper and SE editions (with option to make your own preferred mixes)
    *Prequels
    *Droids & Ewoks cartoons
    *Ewok TV movies
    *Bonus discs w/ material about each movie. Archival interviews with the actors from various talk shows. Clips from the news about the phenomenon of SW. Toy commercials!

Ah....the dream...

ps - I have all episodes of Ewoks & Droids in mpg format :p

18. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    with option to make your own preferred mixes

i'll take the non-jar jar format, please, thank you

19. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    Interesting new board colors. :p

AS for the Ewoks movies...if they come out on DVD...both on the same DVD

20. Essence

Jul 16, 2003
    Well, first you'll have the OT on DVD and then SE on DVD. But wait, then there will be the Super Sensational Spectacular Edition that will come out. We will learn that Greedo threatened to kill Chewie and then shot at Han. So Han, being the hero he is, shot at Greedo, not only for his own defense, but to protect the life of his faithful companion...

21. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    LOL and you'll also learn that that alien was trying to buy luke a drink, but ponda baba (man i hope i got his name right) twisted his companion's words. obi wan was in on the whole thing, but since it went awry, he was forced to cut off the thug's arm.

22. Essence

Jul 16, 2003
    And speaking of Obi-Wan's more calculating side...

We find out that he made the call to the Imperial troops to check out the Lars' Homestead. He knew he had to take matters into his own hands since Luke wasn't buying his story. Something had to happen to get Luke to come with him to Alderaan.

Hmm, having a cunning Master like Obi-Wan might explain how easily Anakin was secuded to the Dark Side. I see Special Editions of the prequels in the works!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.