main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Star Wars Trilogy: "The death toll is catastrophic"

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by luvlucas-com, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm not arguing for anyone, but that could be easily explained.

1) Holoprojectors are extremely sophisticated, I'm sure they could make a duplicate of Bibble and have it say whatever they want. Like a hologram in Star Trek.

2) Bibble is a politician, not a soldier. I think they could get him to say whatever they want simply by inflicting some pain.

2. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Neither idea is supported by the movie. There is no good explanation for this plot goof up. It's just another PT oversight.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
  4. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Wha? He's a politician. Perhaps a cowardly one? This came off as common sense, even my younger brother who was just over 10 years of age at the time of TPMs release understood this.

5. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Yes, when I first saw it at SEVEN, I thought Bibble might be lying.

6. Grand_Moff_Jawa

May 31, 2001
    Wow, that was quite insulting. So I'm not as intelligent as a 10 year old? You make a leap of faith by saying Sio is a cowardly politician. We see nothing to support that theory. We have no idea where Sio made his transmission from. Or if he had a gun pointed at him. Earlier in the movie, Sio seemed quite concerned with the queen's well-being. And why didn't we see any scenes showing this death toll? A few dead CGI Gungans wouldn't be too much, would it?

7. Grand_Moff_Jawa

May 31, 2001
    What exactly made you jump to that conclusion? Now I'm dumber than a 7 year old. Nice.

8. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    You're insulted that a ten year old understood it that way? You can take it that way if you'd like, or perhaps you can drop the jaded view you have of the prequels and actually watch the films. Also, I believe the following set of dialog comes from obi wan or qui gon describing that Sio is full of it. So it seems reasonable to me that a JEDI could certainly tell if a politician was full of $hit. Palpatine is a sith lord, so please don't use that argument in defense.

9. Grand_Moff_Jawa

May 31, 2001
    I admit, I am far more critical of the PT than of the OT. Small things that wouldn't bother a lot of people drive me crazy. I didn't care for the PT, that's no secret. But I was trying to be neutral in my observations about this death toll thing. Something just doesn't add up.

1. Sio is lying.
    2. Sio thinks he's telling the truth.

As far as I can deduce, it's one of those two. Since Sio was a member of the queen's inner circle, I find it hard to believe number 1. And yet most people seem to think Sio was being manipulated. I just find that hard to swallow. I dunno, maybe I am looking too far into it. It's stuff like this that bothers me about the PT. Plot elements that are thrown in without 100% scrutiny.

10. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    The only problem is we are TOLD ABOUT IT not really shown. Aside from planets comically blowing up in ANH and cannon fodder clones.

Aside from the Jedi purge.

11. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    While it could be, one would think the queen would have seen and been aware of this supposed massive suffering, such that it would involve an occupation of the capitol and concentration camps, not to mention a planetary crisis due to the blockade of -- something I guess -- that the Naboobies couldn't make do without for a day.

12. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    DId you disregard the dialog that I pointed out? There's also the bit about the jedi not being there to fight a war, etc. It didn't need any more exposition, imo.

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The queen wasn't there.

14. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    The question is, how did they make Bibble do it, when he seemed like someone who'd rather die than submit to the TradeFederation's demands. Perhaps, it was the same type of droid that Leia resisted in ANH that not only injects truth serum, but also other fluids that could persuade the mind.:confused:

15. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    It was definitely a cgi video.

16. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Regardless of what it is, it doesn't come off as something that we the audience would sympathize with since we don't actually get to see the suffering. This is the reason why we couldn't care less about the Queen's plight. Seeing is everything.[face_monkey]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.