main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ark Star Wars turns 30!!! Share your stories here....

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by hyperspace_police, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Well, Since May is finally here and Celebration 4 is just around the corner... I figured I'd start a little thread to celebrate Star Wars 30th Birthday!!!

So, stop on in and share your stories or memories or whatever.

First off... Do you remember when you first saw Star Wars?

You know.. Stuff like that.

Who wants to go first????

2. ti7267

ti7267 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2005
    well back in 77 i was 3 going on 4 years old when EpIV came out or orginally known as Star Wars then changed to A new hope we went to a drive in movie in St. Louis my parents told me I slept though the entire thing (which is funny cause I still do that watching EPIV) so the first Star wars based movie that I remember is Empire strikes back that I saw in St. Louis again in Northwest plaza. I fell in love with the Empire that day :) My first figure was Darth Vader in 77 (totally old isn't it? ) Unfornately i no longer had it cause i had a uncle who decided that our toys was worth alot of money that he sold everything we had. But anyway yeah I remember but i don't remember lol

3. solo71

solo71 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2007
    I was 5 years old, and remember, it was on a Saturday afternoon. My 2 older brothers were going and my parents made them take me. I can remember being awed by the huge crowd that was at our tiny theater in Bastrop, La that day. We finally got our tickets and got seated. It seemed like every seat was filled and there was electricity in the air. I remembered seeing the comercials and ads in the paper and being excited, but I did not expect this kind of turn out. Then the lights went out, those magic blue words "A long time ago..." appeard on screen, then John Williams score blasting me back in my seat. I was transfixed. From that moment to the present, I have been completley devoted. I now share Star Wars with my kids, and I hope it has the same magical effect on them that it always has for me.

4. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    i was in fifth grade and had read the book already several times since dec 76. i built up the movie with my friends, three boys, and we talked my mom into dropping us off at the mall. the theater was one screen inside the mall. remember that? we got there an hour before the mall opened. we were first in line. we took turns going to the arcade we waited so long. by the time the theater opened the line went around and outside the mall. we sat in the first row in the middle. i cried it was so fabulous. i bet i saw it once a week. had the 7 toy figures you could only get by mail and two lightsabers. i had two mall tshirts and we played star wars all summer.

5. Jaira

Jaira Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2005
    My dad used to watch the movies a lot, so I knew of them, but I wasn't into Sci-Fi at all. One Thanksgiving (1991 or 1992) they were having the annual marathon of the OT, and I was bored so I watched it half-heartedly. My uncle saw me watching it and handed me the Heir to the Empire book by Timothy Zahn. He knew I read anything handed to me. It was all over after that. I never looked back. :) Cool fact: I worked at a theater when the Special Editions were released, and I could watch them for free as much as I wanted. So awesome to see them over and over on the big screen!!! Best SW moment: C3. I had so much fun, and I'd never really been to a large convention before, and I was with my best friend. Couldn't have gotten any better!

6. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Surely somebody else has a memory they want to share???

7. locokarma

locokarma Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 23, 2005
    Not really. It shows my age. ;-p

Well, I remember going to the old "Dome" theater at Arch/University back when ANH came out waaaaaay back in 1977. I was 7 or 8 back then. When the lights dimmed and the music came on with the scrolling text... Man, what an impression! I can't realy remember how I felt, but when the Death Star blew up, everyone in the audience cheered. No one had ever seen anything like this... and I've been hooked ever since.

8. solo71

solo71 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2007
    Who all remembers their first Star Wars figures? Mine were C3P0 and R2. Took 'em to school every day in my pants pocket and played with them at recess. My favorite fig was my Han Solo (small head variation, thank you very much) and was heart broken when I lost him underneath the concreate steps leading up to the front door of my grandparents house (there was a little hole in the dirt at the base of the steps, and I thought it would make a perfect Tatooine cave for Han to hide in. He wound up getting pushed back to far and I couldn't get him back out. Has scared me to this day).

Another Star Wars childhood thought:Who were you when you and your friends played Star Wars? I always wanted to be Han, but a lot of my friends were also "Han men," so for the sake of diplomacy, I sometimes had to settle for being Luke. Man, I hated that. I knew I had found my best friend when he always only wanted to be Luke, freeing me to always be Han. Ahh, bliss.

9. locokarma

locokarma Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 23, 2005
    I can't recall playing Star Wars... even tho one Halloween years and years (and years) ago, I was Vader with the cheap mask that was held on by a rubber band and a black graduation gown... Lord those were the days.
    I had almost all of the original figures, not counting the ones that had their heads broken off and then super glued back on...LOL

They're somewhere in my house, without capes, lightsabers and guns of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.