main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA Star Wars TV series in the future?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Queen_Mari, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Queen_Mari

Queen_Mari Jedi Youngling

Aug 7, 2006
    Has anyone heard any news that there would be a series of Star Wars shows on the Sci Fi channel in the future--like probably when they finish showing the episodes of Babylon 5? I heard that there were auditioning children to be Luke and Leia and these series are going to all be about what happens between ROTS and ANH. It would show also events like how the Death Star was created etc and would be like in a series of seasons. This would be really cool. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

2. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Yeah, this has been known for quite some time now. But there are rumors flying around the net as to what they'll be about. The only thing that has been officially announced is that it will take place between Episodes III and IV, and will show the rise of the Empire and the formation of the Rebellion.

3. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    And all we've been getting has been vague references tha it will be a darker grittier piece of work.

Welcome to the boards by the way.

4. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    I hope the first episode opens with a crawl made up of a massive apology from Lucas for the prequels and that the episdode ends with all the main characters and planets getting blown up by the Death Star...yeah, I really want Lucas to stop beating the long dead Star Wars tauntaun. Long live the OOT and everything else SW can rot in the sarlaac pit!

I looove Star Wars, but I think it's all gone too far; Star Wars stuff is just cliche now IMO, thanks to the overkill spawned by the prequels. Star Wars used to be just an awesome film series, but now it is just annoying to see how much money GL wants to bleed out of it.

5. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    You said it, Sister! [face_laugh]

6. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    What the...now you take that basher mentality to the Outer Rim where it belongs. You'd be welcome with open arms. [:D] Besides if you don't watch what you say on these boards, they give you the gas.

I pretty much agree though. I can see this franchise spiraling further and further into the abyss. I love Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi -- original classic old school versions.

Unfortunately, I know I'll be there like the rest of everybody else to at least see the first episode. Sort of like slowing down to see a train wreck. Let's hope it doesn't turn into a public execution.

Have no fears Queen_Mari, not all of the members are considered bitter bashers. You have a home here with no worries.[face_peace]

7. ARASHI

ARASHI Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    I agree with you Britt.
    I love the original triology but I feel like the prequels lost the feelings from the original.
    I just want this new show to be better than the prequels.
    It will be great if it has the direction as Empire Strike back.
    Original triology 4ever :)
    On the prequel Yoda Rules! :)

8. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Why Mirtha, I never knew you had it in you. Bless your basher soul.[:D]

9. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I guess I'm one of the few in this group that was actually there for the OT releases, and am GLAD that the prequels were made! True, they aren't as fun as the OT, being that they have a lot of set-up to deal with, much of it political, and that the writing suffered at times (where were you Lawrence Kasdan?!), but there ARE good things in them. I wonder how I would have my own kids [face_praying] see the films, like I did (IV-VI,I-III) or how they were meant to be seen (I-VI).

As for the TV show, it's just like the "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles", which I loved. Television is the proper medium to get more character-driven stories in it, rather than a film which has to be a certain length, and has to be plot-driven. Just like young Indy, you get to slow down and concentrate on a particular era or character. Imagine the "Clone Wars" cartoon episodes being live-action and expanded to an hour each! That's the direction I hope they go.

I'm curious as to whether they'll follow one storyline throughout the whole series, bounce around from character or event to another, maybe tie separate things together, or combination of those. It'd be nice if there was a reference in each episode to the films somehow, be it a name, planet, or actually showing a character we know. In an interview, Ewan McGregor said he'd be happy to appear if he were asked. ;)

The show could also answer more questions that were supposed to be answered in the prequels, like (to name a few): why does Owen hate Ben so much, and why doesn't Ben remember R2? I hope they get a lot of guest writers and directors as well, which I'm sure they have had offers for already! I mean, it's going to deal with a 19-year span. There are LOTS of stories to tell, from different viewpoints. It makes me wonder how many TV seasons that would take.... [face_thinking]

10. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    I liked the young indy series. I'm not sure what the essence was to it that I liked it even though it was different in tone to the movies, but I did like it. It wasn't totally awesome, tho. :p

11. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    I thought the plan was for 100 episodes, which would make it a four or five year run depending on how many eps they do per season. Or they can just do like Sopranos and have a 13 episode season. But I do remember hearing 100 episodes. There was also an idea floating around that Lucas wanted to complet the series first before showing it to any networks so that he aould still maintain control, but that sounds unfeasable.

12. Ms_Skywalker

Ms_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 17, 2005
    I know for sure I'm gonna watch the first few episodes. The OT is classic and like Matt said, the prequels had to be made ... if it weren't oh my goodness I would've never seen Hayden on screen! :_|

13. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    I am just sick and tired of all the Star Wars exclusives, air fresheners, lollipops (the horror of the Jar Jar tongue pop), busts, underwear, sodas, limited edition this and that...let it be! It's fun for a time, especially for the theatre releases, but after a while, it makes you wonder if GL can even remember his "Buy More!" THX days...I think collecting is a nice thing, but for Lucas to slap the Star Wars logo onto every item imaginable just to bring in a few extra bucks while compromising his artistic creation is lame, in my opinion. Yeah, I know I don't have to buy it, but I still have my opinions on it. The day I buy the Lucas family collectable figure set is the day a very hot, demon-infested place freezes over.

14. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    StarSmuggler,

=D=

One of the items I noticed that day at Steve Sansweet's house to view his collection was the Star Wars condoms!

I mean, I'm all for safe sex, but that to me was carrying the SW stuff a bit too far! 8-}

15. DarthVader79

DarthVader79 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2001
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/erickrsteiner/starcondoms.jpg]

She wasnt joking.

16. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Yeah, Adam wondered why I very quickly directed him to another rack of SW stuff!

I hope the TV series is done well, I watched the Clone Wars cartoons, but would have preferred even those to be live action and longer!

17. AKAI_FETT

AKAI_FETT Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2006
    WOW!!!!! JEEZE LOUIZE!!!!:oops:

Maybe I'm one of the few who does like the pre's. I think I love Sith almost as much as Empire. I know, cast your stones this way, but watch the jewels, please. I have a future to spawn....NARF!

I , for one, can't wait for more and more. I do admit that sometimes "STAR WARS" is placed on too much. But that is part of it's roots and of the power it has now and how it got where it is now. "Merchandising- Merchandising" quoted from the great Yogurt. Sorry , I mean, "Moichendiseing-Moichendisein"! It was always there, on everything. You can say uncle George sold out or whatever, but that also could have been said after EP IV.

I can't wait. Show me the BOBA!!!!!!

18. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Okay, let's not count that since it's not a licensed product. Probably because no jimy hat company asked.

19. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999

Is that from your personal collection, Erick? Don't forget to pinch the tip! ;)

20. ARASHI

ARASHI Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    condoms??? woooow.
    Yeah, that's 2 much.

21. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    See Matt, THIS IS NOW OFF TOPIC! Also hasn't Babylon 5 been over since like the 90s???? Sci Fi must be running re-runs.

22. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    I personally feel there are good and bad aspects to both trilogies. Maybe it's because I don't have any childhood memories of the OT that I don't feel as strongly about it as some of the others. That doesn't mean that I don't see problems with the prequals either. As for the stuff, I have never gotten into the whole buying/collecting thing but it seems to bring joy to other people even if it comes at the expense of making George Lucas rich. Kathy talked about the joy the kids at Comic-con had holding one of the MR sabers. Just remember the old saying, Absolute power corrupts absolutly. When it comes to SW, George is Law. It would take a strong person to resist that.

23. Bith_Lord

Bith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    I don't think George Lucas currently has "sold out' anymore than he always has with Star Wars. The release of ROTJ and the few years afterward were not too different in the excessiveness of Star Wars branding ("The Ewok Adventure" anyone? {{{shudders}}}) than what it is today, and we look back at those times as the good ol classic days (or atleast this old fan does).

Does this mean I think the prequel trilogy is better than the original. Of course not, but theres still many great Star Wars moments in the prequels and Im looking forward to the TV show.

24. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    I actually think he doesn't care anymore. He never thought this would be his lifes work and it's not like he was passionate about telling this story anymore. Also the man knows how to make a buck, several billions of them actually so it not like he NEEDED to make something of quality, why else have the kids thrown in there and make ou crappy names. So why not just ride it along? Knowing that millions if not billions of people have and will fork over heaps of $ because the first movies were legendary tales in the making.

Lucas made the prequels without the care to story and neglected to put his actor in the setting of a galaxy far far away. The OOT had sets and real things to react to and George does indeed have a very visual imagination however I don't think Hayden does and nor does Natalie. I think they are very lost in a blue screen environment as actors and I think they were going through the motions without anything really to act to. Indeed when the best bit of acting in the whole prequel is them looking through windows with no dialouge then I think something is very wrong... Not to mention the dialouge itself... which I won't even go in to. Gungans too... I won't go there either... However, I'd take a bunch of buck shot w/a shotgun to the entire species.

However, one example, I do want to bring up is that in the Chronicles of Narnia "The Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe", they blind folded the little girl, Georgie, who played Lucy Pevensie before bringing her to the live set for the first time of the snowy woods when she first steps into "Narnia". It was because they wanted to capture her VERY first reaction to the live set of snow, rocks, and trees when she first steps through the "wardrobe" and the shot looked awesome. It was because it WAS her reaction and first steps into Narnia that totally sold the scene. Hell, I think Georgie could have been little Anakin! At least she could cry on command, not to mention act... I do know some litte girls did even try out for the part of kid Anakin and I thought that was kinda funny at first, but now I think they should have done more screen tests.

25. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    It was a girl who played young Wong Fei Hong in Iron Monkey. So it's not unprecedented.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.