main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA Star Wars TV series in the future?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Queen_Mari, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeiaAsylum

LeiaAsylum Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2003
    Wow everyone, I neglect to check the boards for a day or so and I discover this amazing discussion!

Everyone makes a good point. Here are my opinions, unsolicited but what the heck:

-There are things about the prequels I could do without, but overall I am glad they got made.
    -There are things about the OOT I could do without (ewoks, for one - sorry ewok fans!) [and stuff about the special editions I could do without], but again I am very glad those movies got made.
    -I do think that the "collecting" aspect of SW is out of control. I kind of consider myself a half-baked and cheap collector, but I would never buy most of the stuff out there because it's too overpriced and ultimately useless. And I don't believe in keeping stuff mint in a package, because it might be worth something someday - er, sorry, it won't, because 10 million other people are doing the same thing. So that could definitely be dialed down many notches.
    -I am looking forward to seeing the TV show, but like others here I will be watching the 1st episode and praying it is good. There is a tremendous amount of potential for a cool series and I hope they make the most of it.

So I guess I'm neither a gusher nor a basher, but right smack dab in the middle :)

Welcome Queen Mari, what an incredible thread you've started! :)

And did Ewan McGregor really say he'd do the TV show??????? That blows my mind! I hope they ask him, that would be totally cool.

2. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Actually... the thread is about the SW TV series... not bashing the prequels... lol. We're technically off topic (again) but I for one don't give a flying bantha pie. Discussions should have a natural course. I know Harlock and Skye are loving it though since it brings a lil bit of the ORS here. haha... Still... all points mentioned are valid, except the Star Wars condoms... I have no idea why that was brought up.

I use to be a super gusher, now I'm some what indifferent and don't want to care. I use to be able to defend everything in SW but somethings no one can defend. Somethings no one wants to defend... no one sane anyway. Gungans for example... lol

Yeah! She was badass! Iron Monkey rules! I wanna see Donnie Yen and Tony Jaa do a movie. That would be SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!

3. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    That item came up because someone mentioned collecting and what loads of stuff there is out there with the SW logo on it. :D

I would love to see Ewan in the TV series! And I've already met Baby Fett! 8-}

4. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    I was thinking officially licensed items but I guess the criteria was broad and vague...

5. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    Here's my 2 cents in the fray:

TV series are meant to be by nature, character driven, while movies are to be plot driven. Look at the example of Firefly - the Series, vs. Serenity - the movie. Speaking of which...

People love to talk about how much Lucas is making money with his creation. But this IS Show BUSINESS. Lucas brought to us not only a great story, but for many of us, a lifestyle (i,e, Collecting, Costuming, Con-ning,this Fan-Club,etc.)... And as much I love the BrownCoats, and all that Joss Whedon creates, Serenity ONLY made about $26 Million - causing in effect the death of the possible sequels. Where was the $$ in marketing, merchandise? Free screenings don't add money to box office reciepts. It was just so sad when the stars of that movie were quoted in the fan documentary "Done the Impossible" that they hoped Serenity made tons of money to warrant more movies in the first place.[face_thinking]

I've been waiting for new Star Wars movies on screen since I heard rumors at the Marin County Faire back in 1988, when there were talks of sequels. And in the mid 90's I was sooooo excited they were working on the prequels. I do have mixed feelings about them (dialogue-wise, Jar Jar wise). But regardless, everytime I remember sitting in a movie theater in 1999, 2002, and 2005 watching a new opening crawl of a Star Wars adventure, I get chills. And I also won't mind if a version of Eps. 7-9 appears in the distant future whether it be on TV or on screen. But now back to the Series...

My Source @ Comic-Con told me the live action show may not happen until 2008. It still is in pre-production. Regardless, an entire season will be filmed and released on DVD.

And in a perfect world, George Lucas will hire Joss Whedon as his head writer for the series and we could all live happily ever after...:D [face_praying] Yeah... "Star-Renity". Just as long as they don't put it in on FOX, where it will be cancelled before the end of it's first season. [face_mischief]

6. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    George Lucas created a fantasy world that I was able to escape to when I was a child. That isn't my lifestyle.

7. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    "Star-renity"

Dale... your puns are are like the gungans. A terrible idea that should have never been written out in any way or form... Although occasionally you hit one but I'd say it's 1 in 20... Time to go home and rethink your puns bro. :p

Other than that, good points and information.

8. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    At least we agree on Gungans...

The TV series would give us an opportunity to meet the characters of the SW universe up close and personal...oh, wait, we already do that at cons! ;)

Hmm, SW is not my lifestyle and I don't have childhood memories of SW like some of you younglings do, but it did awaken (reawaken?) my inner child and it hasn't let go, even with the PT.

[sigh] Just when I was feeling good about my age, my e-mail inbox had an announcement that my college is having the 20 year reunion of my graduating class! :_|

Must remind self the alternative is worse!

9. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999

Hey, Harrison Ford agreed to do a cameo in a "Young Indy" episode. So you never know. ;)

10. Ms_Skywalker

Ms_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 17, 2005
    [face_laugh]

11. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999

Hey, my 20-year reunion is coming up next year, so you're not alone. ;) As for the Gungans, I think they're OK, being concerned about the environment and all, but there is that one certain Gungan Gungan who shall go unnamed unnamed..... [face_whistling]

12. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Easy for you to say--depends on how old you were when you started college! 8-}

13. DarthVader79

DarthVader79 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2001
    Actually...Yes...yes it is.

14. StarSmuggler

Nov 26, 2004
    Star Wars geeks using Star Wars condoms...I guess that is appropriate...wonder what the girls say.

15. StarSmuggler

Nov 26, 2004
    Star Wars geeks using Star Wars condoms; seems appropriate...I just wonder what the ladies think.

16. ARASHI

ARASHI Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    Wut bout "Feel the force" :p (hahahahahaha)
    Sorry, I'm getting off-topic (Don't hate :p) hahahahhaha

17. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    Should the name of this thread be changed to "any star wars related discussion et al" or something. I think we can deal, :)
    And I want my gusher friends to know that I wuv you. [:D] You are the bestest.

18. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    This will be a little secret sanctuary? I doubt that will last...walls have ears.

19. skye_solo

Oct 6, 2004
    Okay, so on to the TV show...have they said where it would be filmed? Not in the US maybe? Lucas rarely seems to do anything of that sort here.

I wonder if it will even happen.

20. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    In a room with green walls.

21. skye_solo

Oct 6, 2004
  22. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    It was said to be shot in Australia, but I'd like for them to do some stuff up here, and make use of local Bay Area talent too *hint hint*. ;)

23. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Plenty of green screens an computers here just as talented as green screens and computers in Australia. Or is Lucas trying to escape paying those expensive American Union green screens?

24. skye_solo

Oct 6, 2004
    I agree with doing it in Australia. That's a good idea...but they probably would just take avantage of the studio space and not locations. Also New Zealand would be good. I wish they realized it can be cheap to use locations. Well, I suppose they do still, but not to much advantage of realism.

25. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    It'll probably depend on what types of planets they'd be using. Of course, they could always shoot a live background plate at a real location and add extensions to it, which they've done in the prequels already.

Another interesting thing I'm looking forward to is seeing the technology progress up until Episode IV, like the weapons, costumes (i.e. the stormtroopers), and the vehicles. Speaking of which, that would be TOTALLY COOL if they ended up using the Golden Gate Garrison's tank vehicle that we use for parades and conventions, and make it an actual part of Star Wars continuity:

http://www.goldengategarrison.com/vehicles.php

It wouldn't be the first time a fan-based idea made it into SW lore. The term "501st" was coined by it's founder, Albin Johnson, and has now made the term "canon" in books, RPG, the film, and from Comic-Con this year...an action figure!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.