main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars TV series.... yes ,no ,maybe.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JEDI-SOLO, Feb 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Ok Don't know if its been discussed yet I'm sure it has been. But would it ruin Star Wars( i'm guessing yes) if it was made in a tv series? What time do you think it should take place in? 5,000 years before when the jedi and sith were going at it or after the NJO. Tell me your thoughts on the matter positve ,negative. I'm very interested in hearing.

2. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Gr-Adm-Thrawn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2002
    YES ... if you kow what you're gonna say in your series .. I'm think of the first season of twin peaks .. everything written out straight and clean cut.

NO .. if you're gonna make a series where you'll changes everybodies roles and characters because of contracts, extra salaries more box-office etc.. I'd hate to see SW - series become something like soap operas .. Much too degrading for such a vast and wide universe.

Give it to a real director, not a buffon who will be at the star actors beck and call. "what's that Exar kun .. you think you're too evil, you would like to have a kinder role because fans send you too much hate mail .. OK sure, I'll see what I can do." "what Cay qel droma .. you don't want to die so soon .. well why don't we pt you as twins so you'll be back for the next season ..OK ?"

NO WAY no series .. I'll be getting nightmares tonight.

3. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    The only do-able series would be TOTJ, because I don't want to see anyone else play a PT or OT char.

wk

4. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    An anthology series; every week we focus on new characters, every once in a while going back to old ones. Smugglers, Jedi, Bounty Hunters, whatever. For high-budget finales we could get big space battles.

5. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Jan 1, 2002
    good idea O Dark one

like a 'tales of the GFFA'

I can't wait for the episode with Shada d'Akul or Nem Yin ....

wait a minute, is the series gonna be rated PG or R , 'coz that's gonna make a big difference for me ;)

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  7. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Jan 1, 2002
    Jedi Solo .. what kind of series do you have in mind ?

I mean for all, for adults, for teenagers ..

some basis would be helpful to work our opinion here. I mean do you have in mind something like the ewok movie or something else

8. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    THe Rogue stories would make for great television, IMO. If done well, so could the YJK books.

9. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Jan 1, 2002
    GAR
    first of all .. nice icon. :D

next : yep Rogue stories would be quite neat IF the can get the dogfighting scenes done well .. i mean even in the books I sometiimes ..ok often .. loose track of where they're turning and how they're maneuvering .. only once I reread the scene 2 or 3 times can I imagine how it happened .Filming those stunts must be hell to do.

10. Resolute

Resolute Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2002
    A Star Wars TV Series would never work. Why? Because it is just too big an epic to be told in 1 hour segments.

Lets stick to movies and books people.

11. tanjokabri

tanjokabri Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    too big an epic to fit into 1 hour segments? heck, i read a star wars novel in less than an hour...

12. QurangLah

QurangLah Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2001
    WOW thats about 5 pages a min, you must be in the guiness book for speed reading.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> A Star Wars TV Series would never work. Why? Because it is just too big an epic to be told in 1 hour segments.<<

Actually, Star Wars is uniquely suited to such a format, because each hour-long episode could open with an opening scroll to let people know all the relevant story info leading up to that episode, regardless if they've seen previous episodes or not.

Again, I point you to my thread, "Quest's EU TV Show Layout"

I show how an EU TV series could be done::)

14. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    2ndQuest I just got off work, and read the column. You did have quite a good layout and in my opinion could be pulled off quite nicely, thank you!
    THRAWN I have in mind really a show for everyone like the movies. The time I'd like would be in the anicent times when their where thousands of sith and jedi. The reason for this is simple if the series went during or after the NJO then it would'nt be as joyus to read the books. Plus it'd be nice to get a feel for the old chacaters: Naga Sadow, Exar Kun, Cay Qel Droma, Nomi Sunrider. I think it would rock and then wouldn't conflict with the current proceedings of star wars. There are many undocumented adventures of the ancient jedi we don't know just waiting to be told!!!

15. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    This is probably the most common suggested idea when it comes to tv series, and its already been mentioned here, and its a series based on the X-Wing novels. That would be excellent. I would give my consent as a fan (and we know how much pull I have around LFL!) if and only if...

a) it was based STRICTLY around the novels, with no characters altered in gender/species/personality/deaths. I would like to see a script drawn PRECISELY from the dialogue, settings etc of the books- so precisely that you could almost read-along (okay, thats a step too far, but its what I'd like to see)

b) they didn't dumb down star wars tech talk- particularly in relation to x-wings and the like- go all the way, even if it means a reduction in accessability to those who i) don't read star wars ii) have no imagination whatsoever- neither of which matter ;)

Either that, or as was mentioned...

a) a 'Tales of' series with no central character (though I think this would probably be disasterous as its the character and plot development that makes a tv series successful, and this would, quite literally, have neither).

b) an NJO series- a good idea as its well a well structed story with a beginning, middle and end already in mind- not all over the place. But, I'd say no to this probably because you'd have nearly half the main characters being from the OT, and you'd have to have different actors portaying them. Someone else as han, luke and leia? not on your life!

16. lemruk

lemruk Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2002
    I think the star wars universe is perfect for tv. PAY T.V.!!!!! Gouge Lucas wouldn't have it any other way. Ther are so many posibilities here! What if Lucasfilm started ther own sci-fi/fantasy HBO? LucasLearning kids programs etc...He has already said he wants to do more t.v. after EP3. Or better yet, what about quarterly downloadable web episodes for $19.95 a crack. He is so close to doing actors fully C.G.I.,full body scans of all of our favorite characters can give them the immortal youth needed to continue the Lucas vision of the universe forever.I know some of these ideas are 10-15 yrs down the road, close to when lucas will be 70+,but Lucas industries empire will carry on and pay t.v./internet will be the cash cow of the
    future. Sorry for the rant.

17. JEDIMACK-COM

JEDIMACK-COM Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2002
    100% digital episodes,

All cliff hangers like the old Flash Gordon, except Flash will be killed at some point, and Prince Baron will replace him until he gets killed.

Then Dale will take over, giving way to her 16 year daugther who will take over the lead after mom dies a hideous, bloodly, graphicly sadistic death.

All online and pay-per-view with lots of cookies.

Coming to starwars.com soon.

18. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    As much as we all love star wars...I cannot imagine Star Wars becoming a sci-fi serial like Star Trek...the scale and story would be butchered for cost and time, and you KNOW that they'll start messing with story if the ratings drop (kinda like Star Trek)

I hate Star Trek too much to see Star Wars stoop to that level.

PLEASE NO TELEVISION SHOWS!

19. Yoda'sLuvShack

Yoda'sLuvShack Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 28, 1999
    I don't know how many of you have read the Star Wars comics, specifically the ongoing series (which has its ups and downs), but I think a television show could be pulled off quite nicely. If people can be fascinated enough to sit and watch doctors, cops, or lawyers for an hour at a time, Star Wars could make a great series for every age group. I can understand those who scream out in pain at the thought of a weekly SW show, but this universe exists because GL wanted to create a new kind of mythology. He created a universe in which a million different stories are waiting to be told... he's said so himself. Whether you like them or not, the Young Indy series was great. Why is it so impossible for Star Wars to repeat that?

In fact, Jedimarine, your signature is something that I think would be the tagline for a great SW show...

For over a thousand years, the jedi were the guardians of truth and justice in the Republic... before the dark times... before the Empire."

Focus on smugglers, focus on Rogue Squadron, focus on a Jedi and his padawan as peacekeepers... not to take advantage of such a rich universe seems like a bigger travesty than compromising the "sacredness" of Star Wars. If it were well done, there are very few reasons not to do a SW show. On top of that, I wish they would bring back some kind of animated series, like the Ewoks and Droids shows some of us grew up on.

20. corran_rouge9

corran_rouge9 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2001
    I'm with JediMarine here. I don't want to see Star Wars stoop to the level of Trek. It's not that I hate star trek, I even used to be a Trekkie, but it really has become pretty lame. As JediMarine said, characters and stories start getting screwed to make the ratings.

I could see an animated Ewoks or Droids, but a full time T.V. show, I don't think so. I'd certainitly give it a chance if it were done. However, I just don't think it'd be done right. Have to agree with what others have said, too much goes into a Star Wars story to fit into small segments. About the only way I see it could work is if it were litterally on-going from week to week, with no required resolution at the end of each episode. All of that mythology, great story telling, characterization, and realistic problems that make Star Wars great can't be compressed to 1 hour segments with a beginning, middle and end every week.

21. mutley

mutley Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 1998
    NO..SW is not a story that can happen in a one hour show.
    The whole SW story revolves around one family at a certain time.
    SW is not ST the scope of both are quite different.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The thing is, a SW TV show could never end up like Trek- Trek's story is not already written. Star Wars already is, so they COULDN'T change the story or characters to try to bump up ratings.

As for squeezing things into a 1 hour show, if you look at my layout, you'll see that, as opposed to having standalone episodes or episodes with no end, multiple 2 and 3 parters would work quite well, particularly w/ my suggestion of the opening scroll.

As for quality, one could only hope good actors are selected for the roles. On a technical level, I don't think the show would be much of a problem. Babylon 5 and Farscape manage to make pretty epic episodes on a relatively low budget (and, lets face it, Star Wars could make back any cost of a series back on DVD sales alone).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.