main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Star Wars : Ultimate Edition. Fact or Rumour?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by FaLLeN-AnGeL, Mar 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Ok, first of all, I don't know if any of this will be counted as spoilers or not, but consider this a spoiler warning just in case... :)

I read in a magazine called StarLog a kind of filler interview (a small one, about a quarter of a page, rather than a full page one) stating that there will be another version of the original trilogy with added bits that have been filmed alongside what has been filmed for the upcoming installment, The Attack of the Clones. These new parts of the film will be added in to make the original trilogy tie in better with each other, and the new installments.

Unfortunately I can't find anywhere on the internet that can tell me if what I read was a rumour or if it was the truth or what. All I have managed to find is an article on the StarWars.com site stating that there is a new soundtrack for the Phantom Menace being released.

I will be borrowing the magazine off my mother over the Easter weekend so that I can post that on here. But untill then, can anyone shed some light on this? Is this just a rumour? Or is there really going to be an "Ultimate Edition"?

EDIT: I just found this article which sounds very similar to the one I read in the StarLog mag. It doesn't seem to go into as much detail as I remember, but it does mention a new edition to the trilogy.

2. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    I've heard heaps of people talking about it, but I've never seen anything in the way of confirmation. :(

Has anyone else?

3. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    They talk about this a lot over in the JCC.

IMO, the prequel trilogy should be made to fit the Classic Trilogy, not the other way around.
    I'm sick of the butchering of these films...

4. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    I've already warned you about spoilers, but anything in this "article" is all about "The Archival Edition", you many not count it as spoilers, but just in case... (Hey, I just don't want to get in trouble for anything I post... :) If you don't think I need to post spoiler warnings, then please let me know. If not, I'll continue posting them. :))

I'm on a roll here. I've just found another article type thing going into much more detail about the Ultimate Edition. Only in this case it is know as "The Archival Edition".

You need to scroll down the page a bit before you'll find the actual article. Look for where it says "The Star Wars Saga - The Archival Edition"

5. Shara_82

Jan 10, 2001
    I like your policy on those spoiler warnings. :)

I've heard the name Archival Editions, too. But once again, is it confirmed, or just fan speculation?

6. S_2BU

S_2BU Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2002
    There is another version coming. Thats all I can say.

7. Shara_82

Jan 10, 2001
    [face_shocked]

8. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    What this time? Greedo has an AK-47? [face_plain]

9. Shara_82

Jan 10, 2001
    I'd take that if it meant we got the right Emperor in ESB. [face_plain]

10. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    For those still interested in the Star Wars Ultimate Edition story that I mentioned in my original post, here it is...

STAR WARS TRILOGY: ULTIMATE EDITIONS
    Jedi fans set to bow before the master once more as George Lucas hints at revamping the original trilogy yet again

Science fiction movie fans who think they now own the ultimate version of the first Star Wars trilogy should think again. In a recent interview, George Lucas hinted that some new scenes for the classic trilogy had been shot alongside the work being done on the soon-to-be released Star Wars: Attack of The Clones! Although Lucas will not reveal exactly where or how these scenes will fit into the original movies, it's believed that they will actually serve to create much better ties between the first and second trilogies.

Admittedly, this is exciting news but something of a mixed blessing for fans who've already shelled out on what they thought were the most up-to-date versions of their favourite movies. The original trilogy has already made an appearance as a THX-remastered edition and was then very closely followed by the re-released Special Edition. Mind you, it's always been assumed that Lucas might consider eventually releasing a final 'Ultimate Edition' at some point in the future.

One thing us for sure, the new sequences certainly weren't part of Lucas' original treatment when the first three Star Wars movies were made.

Well there you have it, that?s the article that appeared in StarLog. IMHO I think that any real fan of Star Wars would want to get their hands on any copy, from the original to the new one that is coming out. Of course everyone will love the original the most, and that will remain their favourite, but hey, if I was as big a fan as some of you, I?d want any copy of the original trilogy I could get my hands on? :)

11. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I've heard that they will be calld Star Wars The Archival Editions

12. Sith-Gecko

Sith-Gecko Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    *crosses fingers*

Biggs and Luke ... BIGGS AND LUKE!!!

13. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    *Crosses fingers*

Leave them alone! Leave them alone!!

Disclaimer:
    No offense was intended to Biggs & Luke, LFL or any of it's subsidaries.

14. Sith-Gecko

Jun 26, 2001
    No, I mean no more CGI stuff, just I want Lucas to FINALLY add in the scenes he deleted from the originals, yet neglected to re-insert into the Special Edition. You know, the character building scenes.

15. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Any talk of altering these films concerns me, there was a thread in the Classic Trilogy forum by someone saying the Chess scene in ANH "wasn't Star Wars enough".
    In essence, saying that something in the first ever SW film, released in 1977 wasn't a worthwhile part of the saga and it should be cut, claiming it detracted from the story too much.

What's wrong with the films the way they are? Some deleted scenes and such may make sense, and yeah, having the tosche station scene included as an extra on the DVD would be good, but you know if scenes like that go back in, they're gonna have some cartoon looking cgi creature in them aswell.

Lucas opened a hell can of worms with his special editions, we now have ppl wanting this scene but not that one, that sound effect but this one needs replaced.

How can ppl be fans of something they want to change so much?

Disclaimer: No offense was intended to chess players, CGI creatures or the inhabitants of Tosche station.
    Decision on implication of offense towards whiny fanboys who have their own versions of the films all scripted and are petitioning LFL with all necesary changes is pending.

16. Sith-Gecko

Jun 26, 2001
    Geez, I just wanna see Luke's reaction to Biggs' death legitamised ...

17. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    It's weird though isn't it? You have a bunch of fantastic movies, that are still great and loved now, and probably will still be loved a million years from now, but people want to chop and change it, and soon you'll have people saying that the latest version of it is really the original.

I read a little article on the 20th Anniversary edition of ET yesterday, and the last line of it was something along the lines of "I guess you can make perfection better" or some rubbish. If it was perfection in the first place, it didn't need to be made better. Maybe just digitised to "get with the times, man" but no adding scenes and taking things away.

But I still think no matter how good the original was, and how much you loved it, you'd want to have any edition you can have in your collection... But still, that's just my opinion... :)

18. Sith-Gecko

Jun 26, 2001
    ET shouldn't have been changed. The only thing worth doing in the 20th Anniversary edition was to digitally remaster the soundtrack. Carlo Rambaldi's ET was perfect; why re-do it simply to utilise another form of visual effects?

19. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    I didn't mind the SE of Star Wars. The only scene I didn't like with the whole Star Wars SE was that Greedo shooting first. That annoys me otherwise it's great and Lucas should add more scenes in to tie the prequels in with the originals.

20. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    The Greedo scene is the only one I can think of that people seem to agree on. Fans seem to be divided on pretty much every other change. I don't really think that's a good thing. Changing it again will just make it worse I think. I'd certainly like to see an DVD option for watching the extra bits you want (Maybe like the option on the X-men DVD) but I'd hate for yet another version to become "the official" version.
    Even now, whenever a group of people decide to watch starwars there's a debate about which version peope want to see. I'm of the opinion that the original trilogy wasn't broke. It didn't need fixing.

21. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Well I think we should get another version to tie it in with the prequels once Episode 3 is done and then leave it at that. Don't go replacing the Yoda pupet in the originals with a CG one and things like that. Just leave it alone but just add new scenes in between to link it together.

22. Grizzly

Grizzly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    But why should the Original Trilogy be changed so the Prequel Trilogy ties in?? Why not write the Prequel Trilogy so that it flows into the OT? Considering Ep3 hasn't even been started, that should give GL plenty of room to move.

23. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    You know, that's a good point... :)
    Either way, I think that making the new trilogy and the original trilogy tie in better is a good plan, just to make it a "smooth" transaction or something... But yeah, they shouldn't change the original trilogy to fit in... :)

24. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    This doesn't exactly belong in this thread, but it's kinda related and not really worth starting a whole new thread over...

I don't know how many of you read the news stories at the bottom of these pages, but this one caught my eye today...

Only Special Editions on DVD
    Tue, May 21, 02 01:20:30 AM EDT Sam sends us this note:

Not sure if you have seen this yet, but in the new issue of Star Wars Insider, George Lucas doubts he will include the original theatrical versions of the 1977-1983 trilogy on DVD. He says that, for him, the special editions are the finished versions.

And Bryan Wahrer of Alderaan Online follows up with this exact quote:

'Asked if there's a possibility of including the original versions as alternate tracks, to show the evolution of the films, showcase the state-of-the-art of the era, and preserve film history, Lucas said simply, "I don't think so. I think of the film as The Special Edition. I don't think of it as the early version, any more than I would put early rough cuts on.... I consider The Special Edition as being the final version at this point. I don't even worry about the other ones, because it went through a lot of incarnations to get to the final stage."'

25. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    That really sucks. I know there's a lot of fans who actually prefer the originals, or at least certain parts of the originals (Greedo anyone).
    I've never bought the special editions on video. I'd be really cheesed off if they were the only choice I had for the DVD. Why not at least do what was done on DVDs liek The Abyss and have both versions? Heck, I'd pay extra for that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.