main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars: Underworld - Better Off Dead?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Also maybe the heartless evil woman was Mon Mothma? Only thing that could save this atrocious idea.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    "Bitter, heartless woman"? Actually, this all makes sense now. We learn that this was Sheev's mom:
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    YES. Kill it with fire before it grows back.

5. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    This just makes me appreciate "Plagueis" so much more by contrast.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Interesting timing that this topic comes up yesterday and, today, we find out about a connection between Underworld, TCW & Rogue One. Really opens up the possibility that more of that material is going to get mined, assuming the show remains unproduced.

7. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Um, assuming the show really would have been as stupid as that quote makes it sound... glad it wasn't made.

I wouldn't put anything as too stupid to make it into canon, especially TV show canon (look at TCW :p ). We already had TFU make it so that Palpatine accidentally helped create the Rebel Alliance. :rolleyes: I hope an idea like that doesn't resurface, but sometimes they have no idea what they're doing (and the quality shows that sometimes).

8. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    Wait...I was just reading over the Wook...Ronald D Moore was working on this show? That's soooooo strange.

I mean, that quote in the OP doesn't really inspire a whole heck of a lot of confidence, but...I'm now fascinated by a parallel universe where this show was made instead of TCW, and what that would have been like.

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Didn't Luceno say that he added Palpatine's "I was manipulating you all along" speech to the end of the Plagueis novel because GL said to edit the novel to make Palpatine evil from birth?

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    TCW wasn't made in place of Underworld, they were meant to be on the air at the same time (TCW just would have had a season or two head start).

That's why they briefly had marketing materials like this:

[​IMG]

EDIT- Dammit, that was (or will soon be) ten years ago...

11. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    Well, right. What I meant was that both were in the pipe at the same time, but only one survived, and it would be interesting if the live action was the one that made it rather than TCW. TCW itself already radically shook up Star Wars on all kinds of levels, and had some relation to the eventual decision to sell Star Wars to Disney; how would those things have turned out if the live action show was the one shaking things up?

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd be more interested in seeing the intended reality of both making it to production + 1313. That would have shook things up with Disney.

13. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    It was Vergere. Obviously.

Ulicus likes this.
  14. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    "How Star Wars Conquered the Universe" mentions how the live-action TV writers were not happy with their stuff constantly getting mined for TCW.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    There's also the possibility that this Palpatine story is a concept that GL did or would have rejected.

16. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    George was heavily involved with scripting Underworld as I recall, at a supervising level at the very least. If it followed the TCW model, it probably would have been George's ideas that were given to various writers to flesh out. Whether this is one of them or something that a writer came up with on his own we may not ever know.

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    GL told Luceno that Palpatine was evil from birth.

18. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    GL told Kasdan that learning to use the Force was something anyone could do if they put their mind to it. Like yoga.

GL changed his mind a lot.

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm pretty sure Underworld was cancelled by the time Plagueis was published.

20. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    But Plagueis was cancelled once, as well, remember? That book was being worked on for a rather long time, it was originally supposed to come out in 2008, got cancelled, and then came back to life in 2010 for a 2012 release. A lot could have changed in four years.

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  21. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    But did he in that case? Midichlorians are meant to be in every living being, and to be responsible for someone's connection to the Force. High midichlorian counts mean you're very powerful/talented in using the Force. Having a low count would mean that you're not fit to be a Jedi, but nothing says you couldn't do some good Force Yoga that gives you extra health, or extra jump height or something. Or maybe just a better connection to every living thing around you, feeling what's up in the universe (i.e., empathy). Having no midichlorians and therefore no Force connection is not in the cards (unless you're a Vong - I'm preeetty sure that their Force blindness has to do with their midichlorians having died because of one of their bioweapons / "their aggressive nature"). I doubt Lucas would have meant that Luke's destiny is something that everyone could achieve, that would have undermined the myth aspect. I don't have the context of the Kasdan thing you're referring to, but I'm not sure if he suggested that with the right amount of training, everyone could be a Jedi-level Force user. Hey, wait, didn't the Jedi training mechanism in the customizable card game work that way, that if you were lucky in pulling the right numbers you could get any sentient character up to Jedi Knight level?

By the way, is Dooku a Midichlorian Count?

Kylun, Ulicus and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

TCW Season 1 Episode 1 (Ambush):

"Clones you may be - but the Force resides in all life forms. Use it you can, to quieten your mind."

23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    From the way George often spoke sort of hesitantly/thoughtyfully about the Force in interviews, I often wondered if he intentionally never wanted to specify what the Force was because it was something personal. Like he had no strict set of laws in his mind. Introducing the midi-chlorians was his way of adjusting his scifi religio-philisophy on life to better fit modern science, but I don't think he wanted to get much more specific than that. More like he was entertaining explanations on how people physically felt the Force.

24. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    [face_dunno]

It's not why I brought it up. Decide for yourself:

I don't think he was suggesting that there weren't different aptitudes (Luke is still "strong in the Force", after all), but I do think -- at the time this conversation occurred -- he was of the mind that anyone could get up to the basic Jedi standard if their interests lay in that direction.

25. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    Yeah, totally changed his mind regarding some stuff.

Kasdan being shocked is pretty funny, though.

Regarding whether he changed his mind on Palps, if the name Sheev came along with Underworld's take on Palpatine, we should keep in mind that he'd still be The Destroyer. And that makes me think that even the hardest gods have some kind of love life full of betrayal and kick-pants goddesses that are great at not giving their macho god husbands/lovers what they want.

EDIT: Okay, checking basic wikipedia stuff on Hindu mythology, I find that Shiva's wife Parvati is a nurturing, benevolent goddess; unless we get to see her ferocious, violent aspects, which is when she is called... Kali. Now, where in Lucas' work did I hear that name? Kali representing time and change is nice seeing Palps' quest for immortality. Interesting stuff, which probably would have made as much sense as all the other stuff Lucas has ever thrown into the blender, but I'd like to know what kind of story he would have cooked up for this, using the action figure scenery of Star Wars as an excuse to get people watching.

I mean, people don't like change, that's okay. I find it interesting, though, to have both the pure OT story and the larger PT-based story that turns Vader from someone who probably descended into darkness because he liked being powerful into someone who wanted to save his loved ones and basically lost his belief in the good in the world. We already have pure evil Palpatine (and Robot Chicken deliciously funny evil Palpatine); using the character in another story might have given us an interesting new interpretation. Who will ever know.

EDITTY EDIT:

I mean, come on. Underworld godess with her foot metaphorically on Palpatine's heart. How cool would that have been?

And yes, I felt that it was absolutely necessary to add "metaphorically" when talking about this with people on the internet.

Jedi Princess and DoubleSith like this.