main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Star Wars Viewing

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by censor23, Feb 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. censor23

censor23 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2001
    Here's the thread to hammer out the details of a possible star wars viewing.

I'd be willing to host a viewing at my house but have the following problems:

1) I only own TPM. I'm not a big fan of video, so I don't own the OT on VHS. I do have an S-VHS vcr, so if someone has a copy I can play it.

2) I only have a 32" TV. It's about the right size for the room, but more than 10 people in the room would be awfully cozy.

3) i've never actually met anyone on here, for all you know I could be a psycho :)

2. Grand Moff Joker

Grand Moff Joker Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1999
    When I saw mention on the DFWFanForce website about a Classic Trilogy viewing and then again when I read this thread, I knew it somehow sounded familiar. Then I remembered this thread by me from over a year ago:

Classic Trilogy Viewing

The consensus of that thread was that perhaps a location like the Granada Movie Grills would work best. That way, we'd be able to watch the movies on the biggest screens, get the best possible sound and picture (for VHS, anyway), host a large number of people, and have dinner at the same time.

Any thoughts?

3. DarthCynthia

DarthCynthia Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2000
    If you guys can get a movietheater-like setting (I didnt say an actual theater.. I mean vid projection w/ plenty of room for folks to get comfy and watch) I might be game to watch a few movies at least (I start getting uncomfortable and squirm too much if I sit for too long so I don't know if I could watch them all at once)... I need to go back and re-read that thread tho'.. I only vaguely recall it.. LOL!

4. DarthCynthia

Nov 18, 2000
    One more question.. I was browsing the Granada Movie Grill site.. I LOVE the setup.. it reminds me somewhat of Crystal's Palace in Irving (a place I loved when I was growing up.. had tables set up in a small theater and played cartoons while you ate pizza or pasta/lasagna etc). Anyway.. for someone like a vegan who is really weird about eating at restaurants that serve meat and dairy, how are they about us either not eating or bringing our own food? Has anyone been there before that could tell me if they'd give us dirty looks? I know the few times we had DFF meetings at a restaurant I got really sick of the waiters giving us dirty looks for not ordering anything :(

Thanks in advance! (btw.. I'm not trying to say I'm voting against this place.. just wanting to know how Chris and I will deal with the food situation if we do go - I like being prepared).

When talk of this first came up I was excited about this movie viewing thing.. I love watching the SW Movies and I'd love to do something like this.

5. Jedi_Jarvis

Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2001
    Cynthia, I used to work at the Granada. It wouldnt be out of the question, but it would run a group about $250 just to get the room.

Another problem is they wont want us there while they have scheduled films. so that means we would have to do it before like 12am, or after 12pm on sats. Sun we may be able to get in before 2pm, but I'm not sure.

Either way, they could set up anything for us, including if someone want to bring a lazerdisk player.

One last thing, I'm not sure if they ever replaced the great video projectors that we took out of the Granada, and Capital rooms...

I hope so, if we choose to go that way.

6. DarthCynthia

Nov 18, 2000
    Jarvis, thanks for the info.. if you guys do go that route it's nice to know. Regardless of what we do, I hope we're able to do something comfortably.. it would be fun. Money is very tight for my husband and I right now unfortunately, so hopefully it wouldn't run too much... that's a good chunk of money to get that place it sounds like, and as THX and others mentioned in the old thread, we have to be careful about that sort of thing :(

7. censor23

Jul 6, 2001
    the granada on greenville would be great... i don't know how much it would cost to rent the place though. maybe less if we could ensure that we'd eat lots of food and drink lots of beer and cocktails. The granada on greenville is also almost never open, only for big football games and boxing, so it would be easy to get.

8. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    I hate to say it guys but, we are going to have to eliminate the Granada as a possible location. Yes, we tried very hard to make it happen last year for as cheap as possible but we have no funds or pull with them today. At one point we were looking into the empty warehouse space behind Bounty Hunter's Collectables but we all know what happened to them. :( We really just need a private space that we can get real loud in. We were planning on renting a video projector and showing on a large screen of wall somewhere and setting up all the needed equipment. I did this same kind of thing with a bunch of my friends back in the late 80's and it worked out great. The building we used has since been demolished.

Remember ...cheap ideas ;)

FYI...I own every copy/release/format/retail edition of the SW films ever made :D

:cool:

9. DarthCynthia

Nov 18, 2000
    As long as there's plenty of room for everyone to stretch out in and still be able to see and hear the movie it's fine w/ me... (I guess that's what I meant about "theater like experience"... I'm claustrophobic and don't want to be crammed into someone's small livingroom/apt... LOL!!!! but if we do it right it might work.. never know...

Unfortunately I have no recommendations on space to view it tho' :( I'll post if I think of anything....

10. Jedi_Jarvis

Feb 7, 2001
    Yep, what THX said.

And the Granada on Greenville is closed, as of around this time last year.

Anyway, Cheap, cheap...
    Hmmmmmm

11. Grand Moff Joker

Grand Moff Joker Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1999
    Hmmm. The best laid plans of Moffs and men...

12. jedi_xtacy

jedi_xtacy Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2002
    Well, My sister has a 52 inch big screen T.V. and a house in Rowlett. She is willing to have a showing there. Her house is big, 2 story in fact. So please let me know, I know Rowlett is far for a lot of you, but my sister comes cheap!

13. censor23

Jul 6, 2001
    The granada on greenville isn't closed... they just don't show movies anymore. It got bought by snuffers next door. the now show sporting events and rent it out. I saw the OU/TX football game there.

14. Jedi_Jarvis

Feb 7, 2001
    Cool, then they opened under new management, I hope they didnt ruin the mural on the wall, that is possably one of the very first Bugs Bunny drawings EVER (possably THE first). It was painted back in the 30's so its history, no matter if it's THE first or not.

Anyway, back on topic... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.