main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Star Wars VII Movie/Teaser Poster

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Revious Nugo, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Revious Nugo

Revious Nugo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 14, 2014
    While a trailer is so much more discussed- since it shows us so much- it's more likely that we'll get to see one of those vague teaser posters first. What are you looking for in a teaser poster? When will we first get to see one? For the release poster, will we get to see a painted one?http://www.moviepostercollectors.com/MPC_Showcase_Star_Wars.html
    Check out all the old Star Wars movie posters in the link above.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  2. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    It really is pretty neat to see those old posters! I don't think we'll see those 'foreshadowing' posters like we saw for the prequels, however. I'd like to see some old-school movie magic...get us anticipating the movie next year (like us diehard fans need much motivation!) and the public talking about it. How about a series of posters just with spaceships and whatnot? Or comparing and contrasting the younger and older versions of the characters?

Great post!

Revious Nugo likes this.
  3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I'd just like to see the classic Star Wars motifs, starships, lightsabers, the whole bit. Doesn't need to be specific about anything, just get you excited for there being a new SW movie.

4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    A picture of Luke with the caption "You will be afraid".

The Bops likes this.
  5. Revious Nugo

Revious Nugo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 14, 2014
    Sometimes I think a single striking image on a promo poster can excite more than a two-and-a-half minute trailer.

6. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    The advance poster for Episode I has always been one of my favorites. I had that poster as a kid, but it's long gone.

I'm hoping we get something like that for VII - something simple but powerful and foreshadowing - or maybe even a couple different ones. And then an epic painted poster.

I love Struzan's work, but for the prequels, they didn't seem - striking enough. It was more profiles and didn't really explode off of the page. One of my favorites has always been Chantrell's Style C for ANH - it has this bursting energy to it. The gorgeous half-sheet for ANH also has this huge, mythic feel to ti.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  7. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    My favorite is actually the teaser for Episode II (though I wish they hadn't photoshopped that lightsaber in there.) I've got it hanging full-size in my bedroom, because my wife agrees with me that it's awesome. I think teaser posters are always more exciting than the officials - here's hoping for something great, and soon.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  8. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    For the teaser, how about a New Republic symbol with a shadow over it? Non-fans might not understand, but, borrow a Joel Hodgson quote, "the right people will get it." For the tagline, how about, "It awakens." Obvious, but it might work.

For the release poster, bring in Drew Struzan and make it an actual painting, not something photoshopped.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  9. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    ...hmm, that sounds like a horror movie ...

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    [​IMG]
    Take my money!!! ALL OF IT!!!

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I saw a Star Wars "poster" in theatres! Technically. Kinda. It was one of those video-screen posters and it was the trailer which had been chopped up (no black spaces) and cropped centred on whatever was at in the frame to fit a vertical poster layout. Does that count?

12. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    No because I can't but it and put it on my wall. :(

The Bops likes this.
  13. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    I'm surprised that there isn't one out yet. Maybe they make 'em closer to release these days?

14. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I don't think there is any set standard. We saw the James Bond Spectre teaser poster several months ago, a full 11 months before release date. Yet here we are 10 months from E7 and nothing yet. I think it is just a matter of JJ Abrams playing things close to the vest.

Something tells me we are not going to get much of anything by way of info until Celebration Anaheim.

15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Wasn't the teaser poster for AOTC out like almost 18 months before the movie?

that one is probs my favorite teaser poster of all time. This one:

[​IMG]

I remember how excited I got when I was in the movie theater, looking up and seeing it for the first time...

mes520 likes this.
  16. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I like that one, too. I am pretty sure, though, that it also debuted the November before the May release, just like TPM's teaser. I could be wrong, though.

17. Forbidden Island

Feb 23, 2015
    I want to see a movie poster in the movie theaters! I still am having doubts that this movie is actually real!!

18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, that Attack of the Clones poster is amazing! The tagline too, for that matter.
    If TFA would get a teaser poster even half as good it would be awesome! But I really hope for a hand painted "proper" poster though, just like the old movies.

19. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    Usually those come out later.

The teaser poster that comes out around this time or earlier is like the previously posted AOTC poster and this:

[​IMG]

Then later near release time, they release the hand painted posters:

[​IMG]

20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Oh, I'm well aware of that - I meant that most movies nowadays don't have painted posters at all, but rather photoshoped photographs both for teaser posters and theatrical posters, and that I hope TFA will be an exeption to this.

Forbidden Island likes this.
  21. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I think Disney/JJ want to keep with franchise traditions like the posters. They want this to "feel" like Star Wars as much as possible, and the posters are a big part of that.

22. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I do hope you're right!

23. Forbidden Island

Feb 23, 2015
    aw dang it the links' broken now... that was a pretty good page.

24. Forbidden Island

Feb 23, 2015
  25. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    That link just takes me to the collider homepage.