main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Star Wars VII - Your Synopsis

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by darthamon, Nov 1, 2012.

1. GlueParkEnigma

GlueParkEnigma Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012
    Your post brought to mind what happened to Germany between the two world wars.

Some planets that were imperial to the core maybe suffering for there sins and eventually they will need a way out of their punishment.

Live, Love, Learn & Laugh

2. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004

No no no, there were heroes on both sides (although I don't remember seeing any whatsoever on one side).

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    In your opinion. And what's "real cinema success"?

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  4. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I remember a couple of interviews with the author of that recent "Star Wars and History" book project, an author who apparently had access to Lucas during the project. She said something that struck me: she said words to the effect that it's one thing for the Rebels to have overthrown the Empire; it's another to then create a functioning government in its place. Her statements led me to believe we may want to concentrate on the possibility that the "war" in the ST, the conflict that provides background to the personal drama, may actually be fought between factions of the former Rebellion itself.

It's entirely possible, and it has a basis in history. Numerous revolutions succeeded in their primary goal of toppling the previous regime, yet failed in their next goal of establishing a regime that's any better than the previous one. In Russia, the autocratic tsars were toppled, but Kerensky's government failed to solve the problems caused by tsarism and ultimately fell to the Bolsheviks, another bunch of autocrats. In Iran, the shah was deposed, only to ultimately be replaced by Khomeini, thus simply replacing a secular dictator with a religious dictator. In Egypt, Mubarak was overthrown, but they are still working out what will follow in his place; it is entirely possible that Morsi could go the way Khomeini did, and he certainly seems to be trying to do that. Those are only the merest fraction of the examples out there. History is replete with examples of revolutions ultimately failing in their stated goals, for one reason or another.

How would this apply to Star Wars? Well, consider the following: the Rebel Alliance is just that - an alliance of numerous revolutionary and/or resistance groups gathered together and cooordinated by an overall command structure - and we may safely assume that the goal of destroying Palpatine's regime is the thing that would unify these factions in common cause, but when Palpatine has been either deposed or killed, what then? The full name of the organization is the Alliance to Restore the Republic, but that's a theoretical goal; each of the factions that make up the Alliance may have their own idea of what "restoring the Republic" would mean in practice, their own idea of what the galaxy should look like after Palpatine is gone, and the differences in these concepts may be sufficient to split the Rebellion into factionalism. And in a galaxy where these groups have fought decades just to end the Empire, they won't want to back down when it comes to realizing whatever their visions of the Republic are. That could escalate into war if one or more factions chose to take it in that direction. The drama behind such a conflict, in terms of story, would be whether or not the Rebellion could keep its soul, its original noble intentions, in the wake of such events and whether they could truly create a government that would restore the Republic; or, they may discover by Episode IX that the problems with the previous Republic can't be solved by simply restoring the institutions of the Senate, the Chancellor, the courts, etc., but by truly establishing a new kind of representative government that can't be as easily abused as Palpatine absued the last one.

5. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    WAR! Evil is everywhere. There are heros on both sides....

I-)

-C

6. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Well, the rebels were victorious at Yavin only to suffer defeat during the Battle of Hoth.
    I would love to see the good guys in danger at the beginning of Episode 7.
    By the way, I loved the beginning of DE! Imperials and Rebels fighting on Coruscant.

I, however, do not think it will happen because they told us the ST would be about Luke and Leia restoring the Republic.
    So, there would be relatively much peace in the movies!

7. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    While the rest of us will be relieved that no one with money or influence would ever back such horrible ideas.

8. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    I think the roles from the OT will be reversed.

You will have the Alliance/New Republic in charge and the remaining remenants of the old Empire as new 'bad guy' Rebels.

9. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I have similar thoughts myself. In the natural progression of civilization it goes: barbarism, democracy, republic, empire ... rinse and repeat. The Empire represented Death but was still an organized civilization. Once that dictatorship is toppled, the next step in the cycle wouldn't necessarily be a New Republic, it would be lack of civilization, or chaos. All of the unified agents that toppled the Empire could end up fighting for control.

We could easily have something play out as follows; 30 years after the toppling of the Empire, remnant governors still maintain control over their local systems. They act like mini warlords. It could be a hornets nest of complex border disputes and, much like what happened after WW2, those remnant Imperial systems could end up like Berlin, Germany or even Cuba. They could be forced behind sectioned off "Iron Walls", where those systems now lay in complete ruin.

We could also introduce another element, one that occurred with Rome. Imperial Rome was toppled due to many factors, including economics, a scattered military, new religious orders coming into existence and foreign invasion. The outer flanks of the Roman territory were invaded by Barbarians. Those Barbarians centuries later eventually re-adopted many of Rome's civilization, but before that, the Barbarians invaded and it broke up that Empire ( ** All of this is pretty abridged version of history, forgive me)

With out a strong governing structure in place (as wicked as the Empire was they held the Galaxy in place) and without a new governing body to immediately take over, the Galaxy would be tremendously vulnerable. Any outside army could invade and take over outlining systems easily.

This also fits in quite nicely with a more spiritual Jedi Luke mission. Luke wants to bring about a new civilization and much akin to how Christianity was built up after the fall of Rome, the New Jedi Order/Spiritual Force could fill in that role. Luke/Jedi/Lightside vs Utter Chaos/Barbarianism.

10. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

Maybe they'll break with the tradition and have an opening crawl that goes something like this:

Thirty years after the fall of the Empire, not much is happening.
    There's no war, no rebellion. The galaxy has become quite boring.
    Zzzzzzzzzz.
    _ _ _ _

Just joking, of course.

11. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    I haven't thought too deeply about this, but just hang with me here:

Luke sees that the force has taken everything and everyone he loves, etc. He decides to go into hiding, hermit-style, like Yoda and Obi-Wan, because it's the right thing to do for the Republic.

He goes to Dagobah to check on Yoda's belongings and possibly dismantle/cover up Yoda's prior residence there. During his investigation, he is visited by a force ghost he doesn't recognize--who doesn't seem altogether friendly--who claims special knowledge that explains why Yoda said certain places on Dagobah were strong in the dark side of the force.

And something there, either information that leads elsewhere, or leads to a much larger narrative, (something evil and strong with the dark side, etc.) --

Anyway I clearly haven't thought much about this, but it's just an idea. Not sure I'm even on-board with Dagobah being a link to some big greater Sith-like evil or something. Maybe getting "ancient" with the plot could be cool though...

Okay, let me clarify some things:

1. I think luke can come to the realization that, as the last Jedi (with possibly Leia being force-sensitive as well), all this drama surrounding the Force, i.e. the nearly-killing-your-father-but-instead-turning-him-into-an-evil-deformed-monster-who-oppresses-the-galaxy-for-a-time, could lead Luke and Leia and Han and Lando and such to the conclusion that maybe it's best if the last Jedi "disappears" for the time being. Or maybe Luke decides on his own.

2. Anyway, the idea of a glowing red Sith holocron floating in an ancient temple really turns my stomach. No macguffins--that is fanboy stuff. I guess my point was this: we know that Dagobah had places "strong with the dark side" or whatever. There are no other times in the prequels or the original trilogy that refer to places as being strong or weak with the force. If we take this knowledge on its face, Dagobah is the only link to either A) some quality of the Dark Side (or the Force in general) that we don't know the details of, or B) someone or something that's giving off some dark-side force energy. At any rate, either of these could be initial clues to what ends up being an interplanetary investigation that leads to BINGO our new bad guy/plot/whathaveyou.

3. Luke might be motivated to go back to Dagobah if: A) a jedi ghost like Qui-Gon visits Luke or Leia and gives a cryptic message about Dagobah, B) Luke or Leia have visions of Dagobah or Yoda with his lightsaber out running through the swamp C) Mon Mothma tells Generals Solo and Calrissian something in passing that General Kenobi told her long ago--has to do with a "swamp planet." Hmm.

4. I hope throughout the entire sequel trilogy Han and Leia frequently make mention of trying to have a baby but never end up having one.

12. clone3131

Feb 11, 2004
    Been trying to figure out the best way to open Episode VII. IF the OT cast is back, and IF this is set about 30 years between trilogies, whats the best way to show what has been happening - you got it - a mother truckin montage!

I know this breaks SW protocol. But, wouldnt it be bad ass to see the Empire fall, the Republic rise, a CGI younger Han Solo, Luke, and Leia doing whatever. X-Wings battling the remaining forces of the Empire. Luke talking to Yoda and Anakin, learning the ways of the force, and then - BAM! Qui Gon is in the montage!

And the cherry on top- you have the montage all voiced over by JAMES. EARL. JONES.

The only problem is where to place a MONTAGE at the beginning of Star Wars. Do you get rid of the crawl? - Not sure I like this. It definitely wouldnt make sense to have 6 episodes with a crawl, then none and a montage.

Do a post-crawl MONTAGE? - Better idea, but it would have to be done in a way that makes a seamless transfer.

Do a pre-crawl Montage? This probably is the best idea. Imagine it:

Black screen. Fade in Disney Mickey Darth. Fade in Lucasfilms. Fade in Bad Robot. Fade to black.

James Earl Jones Voice starts, still black screen.

"Its been thirty years since the fall of Palpatine. The great galactic EMPIRE is in ruins. The New Republic Order, operating out of its new home world of Alderaan II, fights for peace and democracy across the galaxy...."

MONTAGE STARTS!

Fades to black.

Queue John Williams theme.

STAR WARS
    EPISODE VII: The New Republic

=P~

13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    No. Star Wars has always dropped you right into the middle of the action (in medias res) and I expect that to continue. The opening crawl is all the set-up we need.

14. clone3131

Feb 11, 2004
    while i agree, in principle, that SW does always lead you in with a backstory thru the crawl, then right to action. I just think it wouldnt be a horrible idea to give us a little preview on what was happening previous.

Of course, Im sure we will get a cartoon series or comic or one off movie, or something to tell us whats up....

-C

15. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    This would be a very cool idea for the trailer.

clone3131 likes this.
  16. clone3131

Feb 11, 2004
    ohh, i like that too!

=D=

-C

17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Spin-offs explaining some events pre-Episode VII is fine with me but the Episodic films need to stay with the formula of the first six films. A voice over prologue similar to LOTR just before the opening crawl would not flow well. It would feel clunky and tacked on.

18. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    The crawl sets up the film. There are two montages that I know of in Star Wars and they are both in Sith- Order 66 and the goodbyes and another dropped from the beginning of that film. If a montage fits then great but I don't think it's needed for the establishment of character.

19. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    They can tell us everything we need to know in the opening crawl, and expand on that with dialogue during the movie :) A montage might be cool in a way, but I wouldn't want it shoehorned into the movie.

20. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Who needs montage when you got crawl to explain everything........plus even if there was a montage they would most likely have to recast the originals and fans will flip out if that happens.

21. clone3131

Feb 11, 2004

You dont have to recast, you can do some Tron:Legacy CGI voodoo magic...

-C

22. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    But use all that mumbo-jumbo just for a montage. Kinda waste of time.

23. clone3131

Feb 11, 2004

So was Tron ;)

[face_rofl]

-C

24. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    but that was a MAJOR part and they had to. Just spending a bunch of time making the originals look young again *which would be very hard. Might as well just CGI young Hamills face on a younger persons body* would be pointless unless it was a MAJOR part. Either way....the original cast are old and we most likely wont get a montage before the scroll *fans would flip if that happened*

25. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Yeah, no one complained when they dropped the audience 20 or so years into Vader's reign - the crawl was fine then, it'll be fine now. Better, even, because we don't know what to expect!