main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars: Visionaries

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jacemathem, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999

There are new preview pages up at Dark Horse.com for two of the stories:
    - Entrenched
    - Old Wounds (which appears to be an Infinities story, though who knows?)

Even so, www.popcultureshock.com has two extra pages not in the DH.com preview (two more pages from Old Wounds). I can't wait for this book.

2. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    Those both look great. Can't wait for them. The levitating Emperor from the old preview was cool, too. I'm not too excited by GG as a character, but hopefully his feature(s) will be good here.

3. DoubleSith

DoubleSith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2002
    Shipping this Wednesday, according to Diamond. :)

4. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    It had bloody better be there when I go in, too.

5. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Goodnews-Badnews:

The shipping is supposed to happen on the 19th, BUT the stores are instructed not to put it out until the Big Day, April 2. :( *However* TOS has an article on the TPB that contains summaries and art from each of the stories! :D

"Old Wounds by Aaron McBride
    A dark menace has appeared on Tatooine, and one of the galaxy's last Jedi must stop it. Obi-Wan Kenobi defends the Lars Homestead from an old enemy he did not expect to ever see again.

The Artist of Naboo by Erik Tiemens
    Evocative paintings capture the tale of an unnamed artist from Naboo, who is captivated by Padme Amidala after a chance encounter. Her beautiful features graces his artwork, leading to disturbing premonitions about her future.

Wat Tambor and the Quest for the Sacred Eye of the Albino Cyclops by Mike Murnane
    In this offbeat tale, the Techno Union foreman Wat Tambor embarks in a transcendental quest to discover a sacred artifact and to uncover his fate. Remember, "A heart in the eye is where compassion may lie..."

Sithisis by Derek Thompson
    This shadowy tale follows Darth Sidious through an arcane and monstrous Sith ritual, where he wallows and writhes in the dark side's embrace, shaping the galaxy around him.

Entrenched by Alex Jaeger with M. Zachary Sherman
    The trenches of Hoth are the setting for this hard-hitting military action, as we witness the relentless Imperial attack from a young Rebel soldier's point-of-view.

The Fourth Precept by Stephen Martini Powerful paintings of cosmic scale make up this abstract exploration of the fundamental forces of the galaxy in their unending battle for balance in the Force.

Prototypes by Robert E. Barnes
    The killer alien bounty hunter Durge undergoes a bionic upgrade, making him even more dangerous. Learn more about this mysterious predator in this tale from his past.

Deep Forest by Sang Jun Lee
    A Wookiee hunting expedition in the forests of Kashyyyk becomes something far larger than expected when a young warrior uncovers the pending Separatist invasion.

Celestia Galactica Photografica by Ryan Church
    A series of full page paintings capture the amazing vistas around the galaxy, including a battle on Mygeeto, refugees on Alderaan, an immense Jedi museum and much more.

Imperial Recruitment by Feng Zhu
    So why should you join the Empire? These recruitment posters offer some provocative incentives.

The Eyes of Revolution by Warren J. Fu
    A shuttle accident leads to the transformation of an alien warrior into the feared General Grievous in this story detailing the origin of Episode III's new cyborg villain. "

Here's my take:

Ones that should be canon:
    The Artist of Naboo
    Entrenched
    Prototypes
    Deep Forest
    Imperial Recruitment ;)
    The Eyes of Revolution (referenced in LoE)

Could be canon:
    Wat Tambor and the Quest for the Sacred Eye of the Albino Cyclopes
    Sithisis
    Celestia Galactica Photographica

Probably Infinities:
    Old Wounds
    The Fourth Precept

6. IndianaJonas

IndianaJonas Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2004
    I just went to my local comic shop and picked up Visionaries. It looks pretty nice. Can't wait to read it!

7. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    You're one of the Chosen Ones, then. Mine didn't get any.

This was, of course, news that'd make St. Francis of Assisi kick babies.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Shop near me had it out, but I'm holding off and gonna order it online to get it a bit cheaper.

9. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Went and found out they can't sell it until April 2, even though they got it today. They got a note with the shipment with those instructions. [face_plain]

10. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    My store had it out. I picked up General Grievous #1 (which I wasn't much impressed by) and thumbed through Visionaries before deciding not to buy it. The material just wasn't consistently interesting enough to warrant it, at a glance. I might pick it up later, but have other, more deserving things at the moment.

Incidentally, I wish the last story in the book, what looked to be the GG origin story, had been a full comic of its own. The style was so moody, and the illustration beautiful; that would have been a great book.

-Paul

11. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Deep Forest by Sang Jun Lee
    A Wookiee hunting expedition in the forests of Kashyyyk becomes something far larger than expected when a young warrior uncovers the pending Separatist invasion.

=P~ That is reason enough for me to buy this.

I'm also interested in Eyes of Revolution, Prototypes, Entrenched, Wat Tambor and the Quest for the Sacred Eye of the Albino Cyclops and Old Wounds.

The Imperial recruitment posters should be interesting also.

12. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Got it today...tis uber sweet. My favorite bits are the apintings...the 4rth Precept is killer as well.

13. Krados

Krados Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2004
    What planets are in the paintings? If anyone could anwser it would be greatly appreciated. Once again the comic shop here has failed me and I am really anxious to see these paintings, especially the one of Mygeeto. Also, how is Sithisis? Can a detailed synopsis of that be put online too? Thanks in advance.

14. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Which ones are Infinities? And how does the Wook one match Republic Commando's account of the initial Seppie invasion?

15. TOD-UK

TOD-UK Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    This Visionaries sounds pretty good. Is it a TPB, a one shot, or the first issue of a series?

16. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Old Wounds was terrible. The Artist of Naboo was OK, but the inking was way, way too heavy. Entrenched was good; it would have made a good Tales story. Imperial Recruitment kicked ass. I want more. Heh. The Eyes of Revolution was decent, but the colorist should be shot. I didn?t care for either the story or the art of Deep Forest. Wat Tambor and the Quest for the Sacred Eye of the Albino Cyclopes is the sort of thing that makes me wish I had spent the money on something else. Sithisis just didn?t cut it for me. The Forth Precept didn?t do much for me either. Prototypes felt like it might have had a good story buried under the bad art.
    Celestia Galactica Photographica was great. I want the Executor Executes as wallpaper.

On the whole, about a 4.5/10. There's some good stuff in there, there's some good stuff poorly done, and there's a steaming pile of bad stuff in there.

17. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    So where do these fit into the timeline?

I'm assuming Deep Forest is either right before or during RotS. (remember guys. No RotS spoilers)

Entrenched starts just before the Battle of Hoth.

What about the rest?

18. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Can some one sum up the Durge story?

19. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    So nobody wants to tell us anything about it? :(

20. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    "Old WOunds" is listed "Tatooine: Third Year of Imperila Occupation"
    "The Artist of Naboo"- maybe during the Clone Wars?
    "Wat Tambor and the Quest for the Eye of the Albino Cyclops"- seems to be just a bit before ROTS. Anyone else think this story might've been too funky?
    "Sithisis"- Takes place a bit before ROTS
    "Entrenched"- during the battle of Hoth
    "The 4rth Precept"- I don't think this one is supposed to have a timeframe, since it's a symbolic representation of the two sides of the Force duking it out.
    "Prototypes"- given that it starts "the long overdue war between the Mandalorians and the Sith", I'd say several hundred years BBY.
    "Imperial Recruitment"- during the time of the Imps
    "Deep Forest" -right before ROTS
    There's several paintings in Historica Galactica...
    "Mygeeto burns"- definitly during the CW.
    "Alderaan Refugees" -just after the destruction of Alderaan
    "Death Star Drydock"-takes place in either of the two DS.
    "AT-AT Villa" Perhaps years after the Empire, when an AT-AT has been converted into what seems like a mobile town.
    "Green Coruscant"- This one puzzles me. I think it might be years after the NJO, when Coruscant is again inhabited. Some funky architecture though.
    "Reclaimed Wreck"- some point during or after the Empire, shows an ISD ceashed on a planet
    "Bad Pet"-show Vader...on Dathomir maybe?
    "Bridgeworld Lost" Shows what I think are clonetroopers taking over Cato Nemoidia, so around the time of ROTS.
    "Executor Executes" -takes place at some point when the Executor was around
    "Jedi Museum" -has Luke's X-Wing, so my bet would be many years after the movies.
    "Hunting Overlook"- Shows a Wookiee village at some point in time.
    "Utapau Falls" -some point in the Clone Wars
    "The Eyes of Revolution"-sometime before Geonosis

21. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm guessing that Prototypes is the Durge one?

summary please

22. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    seems to be just a bit before ROTS. Anyone else think this story might've been too funky?

Oh, just a bit...

23. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Does it say which ones are Infinities and which ones aren't?

24. tmihah

tmihah Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    okay theres not any episode 3 spoilers here but ill post a summery of whats in this book:

BOOK SPOILERS BELOW

OLD WOUNDS: a story with maul tracking down obi-wan at the lars household. Maul tracks down Luke at the farm after knocking Owen out. But Ben is waiting for him, bursting out of the ground and surprising maul. Ben beats Maul but seems unable to deliver the killing blow. Owen shoots Maul in the head and tells Obi-wan not to come back. Oh, and maul mentions two things: one he killed watto to get some information and two, well, he found something on mustifar. I kinda dont want to reveal this just in case its a spoiler, but if you look at the very last bit of the trailer to Episode 3 right before the logo hits and darth looks onward, i think you'll see something if you look closely.

The Artist of Naboo: similar in style to that old BATMAN:ARKHAM ASYLUM graphic novel, its basically about an artist that has a premonition about padme and then saves her from what i guess is an assassin. the artwork is very nice though its kinda hard to tell whats going on.

Wat Tambor and the Quest for something: you remember why you thought about dropping your subscription to Tales? Tired of Star Wars "underground" comics? Pass this one up. One tidbit, it seems that perhaps prior to episode 3, anakin took out wat's eye.

SITHISIS: Basically its like Palpatine doing a magical dance to make the galaxy do his bidding. Except, this guy is the a SITH MASTER so dont expect it to be like Fantasia. And its got a giant worm. Cant go wrong with those.

ENTRENCHED: Very nice story about a rebel soldier who dies defending HOTH. Its intimated that he was Mon Mothma's son and that she learns of his death right before she give's her famous bothan line.

THE FORTH PRECEPT: You know that one time you drank way to much doctor pepper and then watched the end of stanley kubrick's 2001 on a dare? Yeah. Relive it baby!

PROTOTYPES: hmmm. well its a story about a young dirge and his mentor getting new armor from a strange guy who is trying to manipulate (and apperently is sucsessful) in starting a war between the sith and some mandelorian clans. for those of you wondering what the hell that guy who wrote the mandelorian piece in the insider was smoking, here appearently is some of what he was refering to. I didnt care for the art, it detracted from the story. Oh, and this isnt the DIRGE gets captured and locked in a box for a long time and now hes ticked at jango clones story. That will be done later, I suppose.

DEEP FOREST: basicaly a young wookiee prince (there's wookiee royalty?) is killed when the CIS sends droids down to convince the wookiees to join them. Its left ambigious as to weather the droids actually killed the prince or it was just reaaaly bad timing on the CIS. anyway, it makes the wookiees mad. So theres your lead in to Episode 3. Now go play your Republic Commando with your new found informed self.

CELESTIA GALACTIA: a bunch of scenic paintings that ralph mcquarie might have done if he was really drunk and knocked over his eisel (spelling lol?) while painting. Its sort of a surreal look at planets from the SW galaxy. Very pretty. Not realistic. But pretty.

FLY FOR THE EMPIRE: you know why all guys get into drawing? its not for the money. Its so they can draw beautiful big breasted women and pretend they like star wars just as much as they do. Go ahead and scan them. I know you will.

THE EYES OF REVOLUTION: the best story in the bunch, bar none. If you have read Labryinth of Evil, you already pretty much have Grevious back story, which is presented here beautifuly in painted form. There is one thing here that is new. It seems that Dooku just may be keeping Master Syfo-Dias around in a state of hibernation - possibly using his blood to give grevious force sensitivity ... or not. its left pretty vauge. Anyway, you'll enjoy this one.

Hope that helps yall =)

25. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    "Deep Forest" -right before ROTS

Visionaries has this at 18 months after the Battle of Geonosis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.