main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars vs other science fiction franchises...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by darthbarracuda, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    First off, I wanna say that Star Wars is a space opera/science-space fantasy franchise. Big difference from sci-fi.

Which is better: Star Wars, Trek, "Dune", "Foundation" novels, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, or any other kind of franchise in that genre?

I'm going with Star Wars. Trek is good as a show. I read the first Foundation novel when I was like 8 and didn't really like it cause I didn't understand any of it. And Dune was...a little weird (also read part of it when I was little). I've only seen little bits of B.G. or B5

2. AdmiralSteven

AdmiralSteven Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010
    I'm going to have to go with Star Wars. I grew up watching Star Trek (originals in re-runs) and then all the movies and TV shows, wasn't a big fan of DS9 and just didn't like Enterprise. I also grew up watching the original Battlestar Galactica and although I liked the movie, I just couldn't get into watching the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica. Never got into Dune and....what's Foundation? Star Trek has a nice history and back story and all, but Star Wars, for me at least, seems to have more to it. I've always liked Star Wars from the very first time I saw it at the drive-in with the family, but what really cemented it for me was the Expanded Universe, books and Wookieepedia page (don't do the games or comics). I've read plenty of Star Trek books (books about Klingons are my favorite to read) and I've liked reading them, but there seems to be more of an effort to create and to keep a storyline going in Star Wars....at least of the books I've read. I haven't read all the Star Wars books, but I'm sure there might be one or two authors who went off and did their own thing. So, in short, Star Wars for me.

3. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    Star Wars I think can't be compared to those other franchises

Star Wars is a fairytale set in space

the others are science fiction soap operas, and take themselves too seriously

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.