main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars vs. Star Trek: Can't we all just get along?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by obiwan122586, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obiwan122586

obiwan122586 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2003
    I am a big fan of both franchises (though I'm a bigger SW fan, that's why I'm on a SW forum ;) ) and I'm always rather disturbed when I hear a fan of one franchise totally rag on the other.

Star Trek doesn't exactly pose any real threat to Star Wars, finacially speaking. As far as I know, a Star Wars movie and a Star Trek movie have never come out at the same time or even the same year.

Both series are really great, and to be honest, Star Trek owes Star Wars for its success.

Any thoughts?

2. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    No! Star Trek is Dumb, STAR WARS!!!!

3. effortless_skill

effortless_skill Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    star trek is cool but it cant compare to starwars. star trek is not as in depth as star wars .look at what only five movies have generated .startrek has a million movies yrs and yrs of tv shows and yet is not bigger than five movies.IMO star trek does not even come close as being as good as star wars. i would rather be in the starwars universe any day over the star trek one .plus nothing in star trek tops being a jedi

4. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    In a word...NO! I mean, what is "warp speed," if you follow me?

5. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    well,I only like star wars.but I have nothing against people who like star trek.everybody has there own oppinion ;) :)

6. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I like both, Star Wars more.

7. Darth-Floyd

Darth-Floyd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    What is "Star Trek" ? ;)

8. GenMadine

GenMadine Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 7, 2002
    I can watch Next Generation or Dep Space Nine, because some of the writing is fun. The plots are interesting, and the characters are likeable.

The movies they make try to be more Sci-Fi than I would like, often forgetting what made the TV show so appealing.

But I watch them because there are worse ways to spend two hours. Well, not watching ST5 there isn't - but you get my point.

I think the whole "rivalry" thing is practically gone now anyway - the ST prequel Enterprise is not, ahem, flying, and their book series have plummeted in sales, from what I can tell. Too many books, not a linear story line. But I do nto read them, so I really do not know.

I always thought Star Trek to be te ugly stepchild to Star Wars. But Star Trek is more real sci-fi, while Star Wars is more fantasy sci-fi. The only reason they are compared is because they are bot in space with aliens.

Madine out

9. effortless_skill

Mar 27, 2003
    agreed madine ,star trek is losing its luster .while star wars fans are still coming in and being born everyday .i reaad some where that star trek came out with to much media and burnt itself out to many movies to many shows to much of everything .george keeps his fans hungry, that way we never get full and get bored of the franchise

10. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    I'm hungry right now...for a burrito!

11. effortless_skill

Mar 27, 2003
    well in star trek a computer could make that for you :)

12. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    how about some Romulan ale?

13. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    a computer can make food? thats kinda dumb

14. Master_Y-wing

Master_Y-wing Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    When I saw this thread I just said NO! WE CAN'T! KILL ALL HARDCORE TREKKIES!! and I just ignored all the other posts and typed this.

15. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I watch Enterprise, and I can watch Voyager and the later seasons of DS9 if theres nothing else on, but I don't consider myself a Trekkie.

16. obiwan122586

Aug 12, 2003
    I doubt there are any hardcore trekkies in a Star Wars forum ;)

But seriously, this is the kind of comment I'm talking about. We all bash on trekkies, but what have they ever really done to us? I posted this same question at a Star Trek forum just to see what would happen, and all the responses have been positive.

To elaborate on a comment I made in my last post, Star Trek would have been just this little flunky show that failed back in the '60s if it wasn't for Star Wars. When Star Wars came out in 1977, the bigwigs of Paramount said "Do we have anything like that?" and somebody answered "I think we have something called 'Star Trek'" so they made the first Star Trek movie. (Which really, really sucked, but that's not the point) The point is that Star Trek was back in our collective conciousness, and Paramount went on to make 4 more series and 9 more movies so far. So, you could say that Star Trek is George Lucas' "fault". (Just like Jar Jar!)

So why don't we give those poor little trekkies a break, huh? I'm off my soap box now :D

17. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Capt. Kirk's hair could blow up the the Death Star.

Star Trek wins!!!! :D

18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't bash Trekkies, I just think that ST is like many other sci-fis only more popular; wheras SW is a uniquely enthralling saga. I don't see how people could even make a comparison.

-sj loves kevin spacey

19. obiwan122586

Aug 12, 2003
    That reminds me... How many times have you heard someone call Star Wars "Star Trek"? One of my biggest pet peeves. If you're gonna talk about it, at least get the name right!

20. Shadowknight1

Shadowknight1 Jedi Master star 6

Jun 8, 2003
    My mom mixes them up all the time. I like them both, but I can tell that even though Star Trek is older, Star Wars will last longer. The morons in charge at Paramount just don't get what the fans want.

21. Shint_Sattare

Shint_Sattare Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2003
    Can't we all just get along?

.......no

22. Fall-on-Jin

Fall-on-Jin Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 22, 2001
    I like both, I love Star Wars more, but I like Star Trek because there is simply more of it, and I enjoy it. Sure, Its not as good as Star Wars, but its a nice way to spend an hour. And I am aware of the movies not being up to standard, but who cares? I like them, and it's my choice whether I do or do not.

(Out of interest, can anyone send me a link to a complete episode/movie list of all the Star Trek series?)

I have only seen 3 movies (Nemisis, Generations, and Star Trek 4), about 10 episodes of "Voyager", and about 15 of "The Next Generation". I can honestly say that I enjoy it, and am not closed minded enough to not even consider watching Star Trek, before basing an opinion. I like it, and I like alot of other things as well. That doesn't mean I have to like Star Wars any less, it just means that I like more than just star wars.

And if you want another reason to watch it, Just think of looking forward to tomorrows episode of Star Trek instead of Star Wars in 2 years time (of course, you don't have to get as excited when Star Trek comes on as when Episode 3 arrives.) Looking forward to things that are going to happen sooner rather than later makes everything you are waiting for come alot faster. Of course, this is from a Media-related point of veiw :)

23. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    Star Wars is by far the only way to go, I have watched STNG and Voyager but the others seem to cheesy for me. As far as the Star Trek movies go, the only one that I found interesting was First Contact.

Like a few other people have said, there is really no way to compair the 2 so their is really no issue.

24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I HATE it when people get Star Wars and Star Trek messed up! It's not that hard :mad: I remember a video on E! at the AOTC premiere and this guy was interviewing Ewan and he accidentally said Star Trek and Ewan just laughed and laughed at him :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

25. Mr_Sith

Mr_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2003
    I hate Star Trek. I have Hated it ever since...

My Family and I were walking into a Store one Day and as a Little Kid at the Time I ran to the Toys. (I Still do :p )Anyway, I saw Star Trek Figures. I would play with just about anything as a Kid. But these Toys SUCKED! They looked Stupid and all of that. Soon, my Hate grew with Star Trek as I saw the Previews of a Movie coming out: A movie called: TREKKIE!!!!!!!!!!!

IT WAS STUPID JUST IN THE PREVIEWS!!!!!!!!

My Hate grew to the Size of my... (Well lets just say it grew pretty big ;)

Anyway, I learned that some Star Trek Freaks thought they were better than us!! THAT STAR TREK WAS BETTER THAN STAR WARS!!!!!

I was Furious. I still am. I will kill Star Trek!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a plan....

PM me if you want in. It is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.