main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars vs. Star Trek

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by darthnave, Feb 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Preciesly. When the two sides can't even agree on what's canon, then the debate becomes the definition of moot.

ANd hey, I wrote Spock and Luke mind-melding for an information exchange in 'Where No Jedi has Gone Before'. A lot more original than star destroey vs. Sovereign class, imho.

And the face_tongue shows me you're not taking this seriously, and that's cool, since I'm not either. For the vs. debate... I can't argue since I'm not that well-versed in either side's tech enough to make a convincing argument.

Out of the universe, I still like Trek more. Voyager and Enterprise were a hell of a lot better than the NJO and the DN.

2. jwebb1970

jwebb1970 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2005
    "..I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called STAR TREK movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day."-Roger Ebert-TPM review, May 1999

I do enjoy some Star Trek (original, Next Gen, most of the movies). And old Trek reruns were part of my pre-SW childhood. But SW spoke to me (and still does) in a way that Trek never has/will. Star Trek shows a future that is at least partially possible (save for all those "humanoid" alien species). SW is a mythic fantasy that was never based in reality. To me that just makes SW more fun.

But that new GALACTICA is pretty good drama...but that belongs on another thread.

3. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    They're completely different. Star Trek can be compared to Stargate, Firefly or Andromeda. Star Wars has more in common with Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, it just happens to have "Star" in the title.

4. FETT-MAN

FETT-MAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2005
    Look at Luke, Harry, and Frodo. They're all the heroes of the story, but they're also the smallest and most unpredictable ones as well. And what do you think of when you compare Sidious and Golum?

5. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    Two entirely different entities, and it really isn't fair to compare them. I like SW and ST both, for different reasons.

6. darthnave

darthnave Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2005
    Luke's short? Anyway I don't take this serious either. I just like a good long argument about something I like. Now list reasons. Like technology and junk.

7. JediPriestess

JediPriestess Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    My opinion is that aside from both being classified as Sci-Fi they are complete and seperate entities and I happen to love them both for the most part.

8. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    Good point. While SW does have elements of science fiction in it, it's more of a space opera/fantasy movie.

9. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    I didn't think the latter two involved that much technobabble.

10. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    Star Trek is more of an opera thing. Mainly because...never mind...but Star Wars isn't one because of it is then I wouldn't be watching it. Plus soap operas have poor quality and bad camera angles.

11. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    The only thing I hate about Star Wars and Star Trek are the fans who have some ignorant prejudice against the other show. That and Jar Jar Binks, Voyager, Seven of Nine, EMH and so on)

12. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    "Opera" and "soap opera" do not necessarily mean the same thing.

Star Wars IS a space opera. Even Lucas calls it that.

I haven't watched Trek, but I am planning to do so soon. Just to spite Star Wars. Take that, prequels.

M. Scott

13. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    G4tv has Enterprise on at 8:00 and 9:00 P.M.

14. masterjediskippy01

masterjediskippy01 Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2006
    I grew up on both Star Wars and Star Trek. In many ways, they are similar in how surprised the creators were when interest for more material was out there (ala sci-fi cons for Trek; Heir to the Empire for Star Wars.)

I quite honestly don't think we would have gotten Trek movies, or a new tv series (or four) without the help of the conventions in the 1970s. Then of course, countless novels were written after Star Trek: The Motion Picturecame out. IMHO the best of those movies was The Wrath of Khan, because it tied in very nicely with the original series (except the part with Chekov. He wasn't in Space Seed, the Khan episode. Only glaring nit-pick, but it still was fun watching that bug crawl out of his head, hehe.)

Enter 1983. Return of the Jedi was the last REAL Star Wars we had until 1991. I'm not counting the roleplaying game from West End Games, because pretty much all of the material revolved around the movie timeline. Besides, it wasn't as accessable and 'mainstream' as say, a novel or movie at the time. However; the sourcebooks were wonderful reference material, even for non-gamers. I happened to be a gamer, for the record.

Then, like Trek, we had a bunch of books come out, video games, etc.

There were good books and bad (both genres), and for Trek, it seemed like every other movie or so were bad. Motion Picture was a little to weird, but it's a soft spot for me (cept for the silly looking uniforms!). It wasn't until Star Trek V when I began wondering what was going on. Undiscovered Country was released right after Roddenberry's death. That's quite honestly where Trek went downhill for me. I love that movie, but after that, it wasn't the same. I did see all the movies in the theater, even the ones I thought would suck..but hey, I figured I might be surprised. Sometimes I was, sometimes I wasn't.

Too many people began to really try to undermine what was Roddenberry's vision, IMHO. DS9 was rather strong, like Next Gen, but the movies were sub-par afterwards. I just couldn't get into Voyager. Really, at that point, Babylon 5 more or less filled the void that unsatisfied Trek left me. And I didn't want to bother with Enterprise, because of I was let down with all the other disappointments by that time.

I'm probably one of the few people I actually know that never had issues with the Star Wars prequels. I will say that many of the non-Zahn/KJA and a few other books just rubbed me wrong.

To me, I'll watch/read/play whatever I want. I like various parts of both universes, and I'll leave it at that.

15. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    I actually do like Star Trek but not as much as Star Wars. I just can't find the reason though. I watch it on G4tv when it's on and if I have time. Maybe it's because I grew up with Star Wars and watched the A New Hope Special Edition when I was like 5 or 6. My Mom said that was the first movie that I actually sat still and were quiet while watching.

16. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    I haven't watched Trek, but I am planning to do so soon. Just to spite Star Wars. Take that, prequels.

Wait, what? Not even the movies?

17. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I like them both, and I mean when I was in Vegas my favorite thing there was Star Trek:The Experience and The Voyage Home is one of my favorite movies out there. I'm not a Trekkie by any means but I do think that both Trek and Wars are good but, different.

18. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    I think I will lock this topic. Unless you people want to continue with it?

19. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    why do you want to lock this? even if you wanted to you'd have to ask a mod to do it

20. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I'm a big fan of both. Personally, I enjoy Star Wars more but Star Trek plays with some awesome ideas as well.

21. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    Well alright then.

22. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    Star Trek = science fiction
    Star Wars = space fantasy/opera/drama/comedy/epic

The two are about as easily comparable as oranges and mangos.

23. sarlaccpit_48

sarlaccpit_48 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2005
    Look we're all Star Wars fans. If you're not, then what the hell are you doing on theforce.net, Jedi council forums.

Look trust me, never trust a Trekie. I'm not even sure if that's how you spell Trekie, but I don't care becuse I hate all of them.

My band teacher in High School was a Star Trek fan. We would constanly get in fights. This led to many of after school detentions and after the tenth detention I swore to one day get vengence!!!

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Must there be such anymosity between the Cults?

I would never have become a SW fan if I hadn't been a ST fan to begin with. And none of that Patrick Stewart crap. I'm talking hard-core 1960's Trek. Kirk style. Ah, I remember the days I could quote a Trek episode better than any SW movie....

I'm going to stop before I start getting hate PM's.

25. macevspalpy113

macevspalpy113 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.