main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars vs. Star Trek

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by darthnave, Feb 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

Missed what everton said about resolution and about how ds9 was more about the characters that the science fiction?

The coming together of Odo anf Kira WAS part of the plotline and it affected later plotlines as well because there was an understandable change in their dynamic.

2. jedi-master-anikinrl

jedi-master-anikinrl Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2006
    Star Wars is better than Star Trek in every form and way and becuase you get more stuff in it.

3. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003

I'll disagree there

Star Wars is fluff in comparison to Trek

But that just my opinion

4. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I like both series but I'm far more interested in Star Wars than Star Trek. I suppose it's because Star Trek can seem to have a lot more political driven themes than Star Wars. Also, Star Wars is more exotic IMO.

PS: When I say Star Trek has a lot more political driven themes I mean that a lot of it's stories involve peaceful interactions between the governments of the Star Trek universe(not stories inspired by real life politics). Star Wars is a lot more action oriented.

5. SpreadtheMuse

SpreadtheMuse Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2006
    Maybe Ds9 SHOULDNT have been more about the characters.
    What TOS and TNG understood, which DS9 apparently forgot, that the most valuable character of them all is The Galaxy Itself. And every "Odo isnt gettin' any" ep sacrificed an entire opportunity of exploration for the mere petty concerns of a single character, petty concerns which, I may add, had nothing to do with sci fi. I therefore seriously question if the Odo/Kira plotline was a good idea or even relevant at all. I certainly found it to be useless time-killer in an overall plot that was supposed to be about a galaxy wide war.

6. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    No offense but TNG had plenty of episodes that were focused on one person or another that had very little to do with exploring the galaxy.

7. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    DS9 was character driven as opposed to exploration driven. Thats why it was based on one static station and had a little bit of travelling.

Without the character driven storylines DS9 would never have been the show it was.

8. Star_Rocker

Star_Rocker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
    I like them both.

But like in the first post:
    One word:
    Lightsabers

9. SpreadtheMuse

Apr 6, 2006
    I didnt like them either.

"Data's Day," "Attached," "Aquiel," etc. All were signposts pointing the way trek was taking, away from metaphorical sci fi and towards Melrose Space soap opera. The writers of the time just didnt know any better, and wanted to copy what was already on TV.

Without the character driven storylines DS9 would never have been the show it was.

Of course, but I have to ask was that a promise or a threat?
    At its height, TNG had plenty of character. It jsut understood that by no means does character have to come at the expense of a relevant plotline. The best character ep I love to watch is "Survivors," where Picard has to deduce why only one elderly couple survived a planet wide attack while everyone else got snuffed. Here we have a sci fi dilemma with a mean villian and ticking clock, and the only person who figures out the riddle in time is Picard, and thru his deduction and patience we see far more expansive sides of his character we could ever have hoped to see with a mere schoolyard fling. Picard had his share of love stories, and to an ep they are all forgettable fluff.

10. adoyidej

adoyidej Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 2004
    I will say that Wrath of Khan is better than Phantom Menace...but that's about all Star Trek has going for it. Oh, and the fact that they decided to make a comedy with Star Trek IV

11. whatisthybidding

whatisthybidding Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2006
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30993

Just an AICN rumor, so take it with a grain of salt, but there's talk of a Trek animated show which takes place 150 years after Nemesis.

12. Knight-8311

Knight-8311 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2006
    The thing is Star Trek is to rank and file sci-fi for me. Theres nothing epic or different about it. Most times Star Wars is just in a league by itself. Star Treks visuals are also less impressive and this may sound weird but you can see yourself there the way you can with star wars.

13. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003

????

you've lost me.

14. SpreadtheMuse

Apr 6, 2006
    Fortunately, you caught me with some free time, so Ill explain.

So, what if I DIDNT LIKE the show that it was? What if the character driven storylines were a detriment snooze inducer, not the positive that they were presented (with great assumption) to be?

It therefore would have made DS9 a far better show had they chosen to go a more far visioned route with their storytelling, a different route which I would have applauded, as would the other 2/3rds of Next Generations audience that failed to transfer over to DS9 when TNG went off the air.

15. DarthBishop

DarthBishop Jedi Youngling

Dec 8, 2005
    battlestar smokes them both

16. Knight-8311

Knight-8311 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2006
    BEST NERD WAR POSSIBLE!!! KLINGONS vs MANDALORIANS!!

17. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    Yeah, the Klingons would go down in the first 5 minutes of that fight. They're a buncha pansies compared to the Mandalorians.

18. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Got to go with the Mandalorians.

19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    You know how Klingons got spacefaring technology? They beat the crap out of a technologically superior foe that tried to conquer their homeworld, then reverse-engineered their tech.

I'll have to side with the Klingons on this one :-B

20. SpreadtheMuse

Apr 6, 2006
    A technological superior race that lets itself get beat, DESERVES to get beat. But the Mandalorians are nowhere near the usual trek dufus. They are every bit as ruthless as the klingons are, and my moneys on them.

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    "Tapestry" and "The Inner Light" are two of the best TNG episodes ever, and they're both pretty much all in Picard's head.

22. Bloofi-wanFootenobi

Bloofi-wanFootenobi Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2006
    Please keep this topic open, I'm a bit of a noob to this idea, and have some thoughts that need exploring.

I think the evil side in Star Wars is well crafted in imagery, it lacks substance and complexity. For example, the Death Star -- while it was ominous, fearsome, and strong, it was amazingly defeatable. It required little in the form of technology, tactical planning, or firepower to destroy. A few fighters (actually one) took out the whole thing. All they had to do was follow a channel, drop a bomb into a hole at the end of it, and KABLOOOIE! No more Death Star. This amounts to a big sign that says, "TO DESTROY, PUSH BUTTON HERE."

On the other hand, take the greatest foreboding evil nemesis to Star Trek: The Borg. While it did not have the machismo of Darth Vader or his Death Star, it was complex and difficult to destroy. In fact, I believe it never was really defeated, as it made an appearance in Voyager. It took a complicated and sophisticated array of technology, creativity, firepower and guile to defeat even temporarily.

Which leads me to believe, if the Enterprise ever encountered the Death Star, the grotesque gray orb would be annihilated. Of course, this could never happen, because the setting of Wars is "long, long, ago" and Trek is in the distant future. But with such a glaring weakness, the Enterprises' great abilty to use sensors and tactical weaponry, this would be a short episode in a theoretical contest.

Am I forgetting anything?

23. ChewCatma

ChewCatma Jedi Knight

Dec 26, 2006

Your hat?

24. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    Those episodes were ABOUT something. Both about choices Picard had made in his life. One choice about the fight, the other about never having a family. Those are not just dropped with a thud like "Woo hoo Picard has a family," they are given to us as an exploration of the Picard character and we as the audience were exploring beside Picard the whole time. Under no circumstances can either one be compared to something as banal as Data's Day or any of the "Odo has a girlfriend, woo hoo," DS9 eps, as those offered NOTHING in the way of exploration. Millions of TV characters get girlfriends every year, so exactly why am I supposed to care about Odo? But the Picard got to do, relive a life, is NOT standard TV fare and far more appropriate to Trek.

25. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    Forgive me, but that is something of a superficial argument, as you are concentrating on pure nuts and bolts and just plain ignoring character and subtext and archetype and on and on and on. You admitted you were a noob, so I'll explain::::

There are more to these shows than things that go BOOM, and the point of this topic is not a fight. THis is not klingons vs Mandorlians, its the IDEA of one show vs the IDEA of the other. The soul and message of one show vs the soul and message of the other. "Who wins a fight," is the most banal and schoolyard and transparent of all topics which I hope we can all do better than.

Now, the Death Star is a GREAT weapon and invention becuase it is completely metaphorical of the idea it represents: Totalitarian control, monolithic power.... being helpless in the face of its own overconfidence and the courage of a single man.

THAT is a message boys and girls. And that is why Wars is the superior show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.