main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

O.C, CA Star wars Vs Transformers

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by falcon_prime, Jun 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    Ha Ha

Here's what the old Megatron thinks of the new version

2. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    Haha! That's awesome! I saved the pic. Maybe I'll put it on a shirt and wear it when I see the new movie :p

3. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    That'd be class on a shirt.

4. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
  5. falcon_prime

falcon_prime Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2006
    I loved both pics. Barry... let me know if you get that printed on a shirt... I may have to ask you to print one for me too.

I am still reservomg judgment on the new Megs and the new Transformers until I see it.

6. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    Better Prime Pics

Here's a more detailed look at Prime. All I can say to the face shots at the bottom is it looks like a metal cow's face.

7. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    At least he doesn't look as bad as Megatron. That's not saying much though. What is the obsession with this "look"?

8. Robeewankenobe

Robeewankenobe Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 29, 2004
    AHHH! Man!:_| The totally messed up the transformers. They don't even look like them. It's like painting Batman Yellow with black trim and giving him a "New look"
    OR!

Not giving superman a red cape plus not flying around and only fighting giant spiders.
    GOT SPIDER PROBLEMS......CALL SUPERMAN! [face_not_talking] Duh!

9. S_C_A-lexander

S_C_A-lexander Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 3, 2005
    Dude, rob, when I saw those pic, I cried. Doesn't even look practical, much less "more than meets the eye."

I think its overly done, artsy by itself, but not as transformer. If those are truly the pictures, I'm not to sure "real fans" would want to see them. If you ever seen the movie, "the returner" they have planes transforming like this.

The dancing citreon robot looks way better!
    Has any1 seen the recent RX-7 mazda transformer flash video.

10. S_C_A-lexander

Oct 3, 2005
    newest citroen commercials

Check out this link!

It shows that with proper engineering you can still achieve fully pose-sable robots with minimal parts, where the end result still looks like it transformed from their disguised forms. The over-done spoilers pics shown in this thread, are just horrendous. This is the same company that did the dancing transformer Citroen C4 commercial. In my book this looks like a perfect deceptacons counter part to the first c4 commercial that looked like a goody autobot.

If those pics really are the spoiler, then you really suck Micheal Bay!

11. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    That looks awesome!

Is it me or does that citroen robot look not too disimilar from the bot standing behind the black car in this spoiler from the movie

Group 1

Group 2

12. S_C_A-lexander

Oct 3, 2005
    Oh my god, aboutasith!

gag [face_sick]

Phil as a hardcore fan, I don't know how you can stomach the newest transformer forms. They look menacing, but how can any1 watch this?

(sith its cool how you find these spoilers but they make me want to cry :_|)

Sith, I'm glad you liked the commercial. I have a copy of the first citroen dancing one in high res, but I can't seem to find the skating one in high res at all. If you go to the citroen website by googling it, you'll find a cleaner one than YOUTUBE's.

It would be funny if they made one of the tranformers in the movie dance to the techno song in the first citroen c4 commercial. Go bubble bee, start bopping.

13. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    Go Bumble Bee Go Bumble Bee Go!

Wait, we better not put ideas in their heads or Vanilla Ice will turn up in the film!!!!

14. falcon_prime

Jun 2, 2006
    Alex...

You ask how I can stomach the new look. I have followed the Transformers for a very long time. I have looked into just about all the history of them (with a major focuse on G1). I have seen tranformers do some very strange things. They have gone from the classic look (that did not actualy last as long as people think), to a version where there heads turned into people, to them hiding in human shells, Transformers that did not even transform, an entire line of characters that were human that turned into animals (not beast Wars), The Beast Wars, and even miniature robots that took up the majority of the second half of g1. Transformers has been around the block so many times that this new look does not overly shock me.

YES! I would prefer that they looked more like the classic TF characters than what we are being presented with. But the way I feel is that they made a dession. I can respect that fact. They are trying somthing new. I will give them the chance to entertain me. If it falls short... THEN I will make my judgments... the fact is that we have no true idea as to what is going on. The elaberate robot forms could have some kind of meening to the story... we just dont know. It is also very possible that they were all sitting around smoking WAY too much crack and barfed on a blank paper and said... "Hey! I see Optimus Prime!" On the fourth of July... We will see!

15. S_C_A-lexander

Oct 3, 2005
    Is it just me, but it looks like they're not going to make bubble BEE into a vw bug or at least a new beetle. Phil wrote a huge synopsis about bubble bee being the smallest and always immodest, but always the first on the front lines to prove himself. Now it looks like his MB (Micheal Bay) form is a camero. And megatrons vehicle form.. hmm the catch phrase is, "robots in disguise," whats the point of transforming if your alternate form is a not so conspicuous sci-fi plane. I'm willing to bet that all these guy are going to hover or defy gravity like superman with no explanation. I hope these guys use beam weapons instead of bullet.

PS. since starscream and megatron can fly, do the autobots have any ariel forms.

16. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    There's a decent pic of bumble bee in robot form over at Aintitcoolnews.com

He is indeed not a VW Beetle.

17. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Yes, BumbleBee is going to be a Camaro. Rumor has it that VW wouldn't let them use their cars and Chevy would. Megatron's change is because they want the transformations to be realistic. There's nothing realistic about Megatron being 30-40' tall and transforming into a 5' gun (that's a guess, but I remember he was big enough for a transformer to hold, but to big for a human to hold).

It's the same reason they decided to change Optimus. Supposedly the original truck wouldn't be tall enough once it's transformed and the new ones are.

As for why they made Megatron a plane that looks the way it does, I don't think anybody knows. Of course it should look similar to something that already exists. Unfortunately, Mr. Bay seems to want everything to look "unique" instead of normal.

18. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    Are any of them going to be foreign cars? Or is it going to be purely US made cars only and if so will they break down and then have to wait months for the parts to be delivered to repair them? :p

19. S_C_A-lexander

Oct 3, 2005
    Yeah sith, that's right dude. Are there any japanese cars, its gonna suck when they break down?

As for the "realistic" look. I kinda knew that they weren't going to do the gun (for megatron), but if you read Phil character profiles, he has had forms that were earth vehicles. And of course soundwave is also in this sizing problem category (not in the movie of course). As for the change in truck, sorry thats not forgivable what so ever.

Dam the germans!!!!! I guess bubble will have more horse power but not be really dependable, and why does he keep leeking oil? I was wondering why there was a pic of bubble bee being trucked away, american vehicles need lots of restoration, repair and often towed around around. If they wanted bubble bee to have more power they could've switch out his engine with porche one! :p

(its going to be gay if Josh Dumel gets to the say the catch phrase, "robots in diguise")

20. falcon_prime

Jun 2, 2006
    Here is what I think so far.

Optimus... I agree... they did not need to change his form... however this style truck has been used by prime before (G2... laser optimus prime).

Megatron... It looks like several of the Decepticons are going to be Sci-Fi. Megatron.. Sci Fi Jet... Starscream... Sci Fi Jet... Scorpinox Sci-Fi Scorpion... and I think a coulpe of others.

I know that Soundwave was cancelled from the list of Decepticons.

Bumblebee... As I agree that he should have been a classic bug... the reason that they are giving is that they wanted to make bumblebee a car that Spike (A teenager of today) would find cool.

21. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    A done up VW bug would look way cooler than a standard camero though, in fact a rusted VW Bug would look better.

Bumblee's face looks like Johnny Five, especially the eyes

22. S_C_A-lexander

Oct 3, 2005
    How in the hell can a camero be more iconic than a VW bug?

Dam you MB for not paying volkswagon more royalties for the image liciense!

As a kid I knew about camero's, but I also loved the fact that bumble bee was the smallest and therefore easiest to relate. I know the target group for the movie is geared towards the adult, but what group ask mom and dad to spend billions of the dollar on the merchandise? Little Tina and Timmy!

Hell! With Starwars, the first was like rated R or pg13, and yet still more money was made in the toys. I think kids (and all of the big kids) would relate to bumble bee being a small bug than an American euphamism! Hell, they already have a camero transformer, why change the names around?

Phil, here is a question? Can you justify why the deceptacons are taking sci-fi form instead of practical vehicle forms? (A jet like starscreams isn't really practical, but still not as noticable.)

23. S_C_A-lexander

Oct 3, 2005
    Ya know, now that I think about it! I think they paid more attention to the early 90's and until now renditions of the transformers instead of the original 80 series released in the U.S. The crap stories like cybertron key and stuff. Those series had sci fi plane for the deceptacons, and of course beast wars with its scorpian snake whatever!

24. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Easy, Camaro's look cooler. Seriously, a 1970 Camaro (what BumbleBee starts out as) looks a lot cooler than a VW bug. Even the new Camaro looks a lot cooler then the new VW bug. I'd personally rather have a Camaro than a bug. Camaro's are muscle cars. Bugs are toys for poor students.

It is quite possible that VW just didn't want their name used in the movie. It wouldn't be the first time either. I believe some other candy maker passed up being in E.T. so they went with Reese's instead.

Actually, the largest market for toys and collectables these days is adults. That may be because kids can't afford most of them these days, but it's still true. From everything else that's in this movie, I'd say the merchandising will be squarely targeting adults with money to burn.

The only Star Wars movie to ever receive a rating other than PG was ROTS. ROTS was PG-13, everything else was PG. No Star Wars movie has ever received an R rating (talk about killing your target audience). I don't know how much money was made in toys, but I think it was actually far less than was made by the movie. The first movie had no toys on release, they were all done after it became a success. You can actually tell which movies were marketed specifically toward kids with an eye towards the toys by watching them progress. Star Wars had a relatively low budget and a good story with no toys on release. ESB had a better budget, a really good story, but sequels were not usually successful. It was the exception. Sure they had toys on release, but it was obviously not marketed specifically toward children. ROTJ changed all that. It's been downhill ever since.

25. S_C_A-lexander

Oct 3, 2005
    Not everyone has money to burn like you man!

For some of the things you say, I'd really wonder how they hold up.[face_laugh]
    I have toys that are very detailed and are essentially collectables. But if you truly look at the numbers, compare the market of collectables and adult toys with that of childrens toys (the whole market). I'm not saying that adult collectables is not big, its billions of dollars. But ultimately there are more parent who spoil their children than us sci-fi fanatics.

And I was completely wrong about the R rating, I was thinking about another movie.:oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.