main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Weekends Pics

Discussion in 'Archive: Daytona Beach, FL' started by Q99213, Jun 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Hey all, I've uploaded the pics from yesterday's Star Wars Weekends with myself, Jayna, and Gold188. It was a blasty good time and I got some blasty good pics, so enjoy! You can find the link to the site in the top left corner of the this page.

P.S. That Rodian was the man!

2. Jayna

Jayna Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Blasty good!
    Blasty blasty good! :)

PS- the rodian was the man, the Disney stormtroopers were absolutely horrible!

3. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Yes, they were so... GRRRRRRRRRR! I have a pic of one against a black background so it looks like all of his body parts are just floating in mid air :p

4. jackdoud

jackdoud Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2002
    Ouch. Those helmets look like they were pulled off of Don Post rejects. They're definatly modeled off of the ANH pattern. I can't really see the armor very well but it looks like they were tossed together in-house by Disney with just enough research to make them passable. The guns look like repainted kenners. It pains me to see that such a huge promotion is using such poor quality costumes.

On a side note, I was trooping at Wizard World East(a sci-fi/comic con in philly) last weekend. So far the only pics I've found online are at Spat's site (www.spatcave.com) You can see me in 2 pics but you can only tell it's me in one. :)
    I've got to get my roll of film developed tonight.

-Jack

5. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Jayna and Q - Any thoughts on the best place to meet up this weekend? My flight gets in at 9:30 on Sat. morning, so I'll be lucky to make it to MGM in time for the Parade, but I'd like to hook up with you guys as soon as possible. I'll be totally on my own until the other R2 members are done marching and stowing their armor.

Regards,
    M.

6. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Jack: Yeah, we were very dissapointed with the armor. Jayna and I were talking about how it just didn't look right, then suddenly it hit me, they are missing and entire peice of armor! Then center stomach peice just wasn't there, and it also didn't look like it was made out of high quality ABS, maybe styrene, but I would have had to get closer to tell. The 'lead' trooper even had a dented shoulder peice. That was just sad. The rest of the costumes looked pretty cool though. The MonCal was very nice, and the Rodian was funny because he had a big green zipper running down the back of his head. :p

Mirax: There is a huge blue hat in the middle of the park we could meet in front of. I would say meet in front of Star Tourse but there were so many people over there it would probably be pretty tough. There's also a theater off to the right where all of the main events happen, we could meet there. Why don't I talk to Jayna and figure out some good spots, mark them on the map I have, and e-mail that pic to you. That way you'll have a visual and it may make things a little easier. Sound good? :)

7. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    MTH- Where are you flying in to? Orlando? I'm just trying to figure out roughly when you will be arriving. Are you heading straight from the airport to the park? How are you getting there?

The big blue hat is a great idea for a meeting place. It's big, it's blue, it's centrally located- you can't miss it. :)

8. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Hi Guys,

(BTW, sorry to have posted this in the wrong thread!)

I'm familiar with MGM. No problem finding the Hat or other meeting location, I guess we just need to pick one.

I will be flying into Orlando Saturday morning, taking a shuttle to the hotel (All Star Movies) and then a bus to MGM. (Gotta stop at the hotel to pick up my park pass and drop off my luggage.) I'm pretty sure I won't get into the park until at least 11:00-11:30. I will have my cell phone, if you guys have one. Let me know and I'll pm my phone number.

Starting to get very excited!!!
    Regards,
    M.

9. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    The big blue hat sounds good.

Also, it's been discussed behind the scenes about getting together for an official Beachtrooper meeting to mesh some things out, and Jayna had the great idea of incorporating food *mmmmmmmm, food* so here is a list of restaurants if we want to think about a place/time to meet:

50's Prime Time Cafe- chicken and pot roast and such things.

The Hollywood Brown Derby- Steak and seafood and things that sound expensive.

Mama Melrose's Italian- Italian food :p I don't know about Italian and negative-G rides though *sick face* I think there would be more than brownies floating around the elavator ;)

Sci-Fi Dine in Theater- Burgers and such things. Sounds like a good place :)

10. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    I don't really care where we meet, but I'm thinking that we should get together early (possibly before the parade) so that we can take care of our meeting before things really get started up. That will give everyone the freedom to do what they want with the day.

11. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    When does the parade start? I thought it was at 10am, and the park opens at 9am, so if that's the case, the only problem I see is Karma is marching and probably won't have time for a meeting before hand.

12. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    I thought the parade was at 11 am. I don't know how early the people in it have to meet, though. Is there any way you can find out the schedule of the parade participants?

13. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Way ahead of ya boss. The parade does start at 1100, but the call time is 0900, so most participants are going to be there at 0830.

14. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Hey all, the new pics are up on the site. You can either go to the site and click through a few pages or click here. I don't know if that Vader pic at the bottom beats the Greedo pic, but it sure comes close! :)

Video will be up, erm, yeah... need natural light ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh *collapses into digital enduced coma*

15. MiSTRFiNGA

MiSTRFiNGA Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2000
    I work with the guy who made all the weekend costumes. The gamorrean guard was an actual ILM screen used prop head, that we recast, fixed and painted. I didn't like all the "drool" he put on it, but that's Dave for ya. They even have the arms and legs, but wont wear them, and use those stupid "spandex suit" like material for them. Oh well. We built a Han in Carbonite too that will be in the 501st parade, and there is another BIG surprise for a parade. I don't think we will have it done for the 501st, but Big D wants it for year-round parades! It should be AWESOME! Keep posted!

http://scifi3d.theforce.net/
    www.MiSTRFiNGA.com

16. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Ok, well the parade video is up and running on the site. I've added a new 'video link' at the bottom of the link side bar. I also have video of the Q&A session with Mayhew and Bulloch but it's way too long to put online, as well as the Eppy 2 bloopers (don't know what the copyright issue is with those so I don't know if they'll be going up), and the end of the day Hyperspace Hoopla.

17. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    I spoke with the guy who is Greedo during SWW, and he said most of the costumes that Disney has came from the old Ice Capades show. Which made me laugh, because my grandma always took me to see the Ice Capades at Madison Square Garden every year and one year it was the "Ewoks On Ice".

Somebody else from the 501st told me that the Stormtrooper costumes that Disney uses came from a stunt show that took place in Japan some years back, which explains why they are missing pieces- they can actually run, bend over, jump, etc in their costumes.

PS- I hope you don't mind but I posted a link to the video on the FL 501st message board.

18. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Yeah, I read over on the FL501st boards about the trooper costumes. I agree with Jack though, it's pretty sad that a production this big would use costumes like that. Hopefully having the 501st show them up will help change their minds next year.

I was impressed with the other costumes though. Those were done really well. Although the Mace was a bit small :p

The video is in Quicktime format compressed with the Sorenson 3 codec, which I believe is standard with QT 5, and I know it is with QT 6. Jess said that there was a trooper that kept looking at us, was that you? I couldn't see because I was filming, but I did catch a smaller trooper kinda looking in our direction. How close are you to finishing your armor?

19. BlastyTrooper

BlastyTrooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2003
    Great pics Q! It was blasty cool to finally meet you and Jayna. :D I hope to be sending you my Beach Trooper pic in a few weeks. The Buffett concert is on June 24th, so it'll be right after that. :)

20. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Awesome! It was really great to meet you all too. Jayna is going to have one heck of a summer when she goes home. And I can't wait to see that pic ;)

21. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    My armor is done, complete, finished!

There's one mod I need to do but I am going towait on doing it, and that's shortening the chest piece. It's a little long and hits my belt, and if I slouch even slightly while wearing it it buckles up around my neck.

22. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Ouch! I had that problem with some Medieval armor I used to have. You thnk ABS is bad, try aluminium :mad:

23. MiSTRFiNGA

Apr 18, 2000
    Yeah, most of the Trooper are from th eTrooper stun t show in Japan (Those guys always have crazy cool ideas!) And yes, most of the Disney costumes SUCK! Thats Y they asked DAve to remake some. MArk Bradley did the Zam Wessel one and Jango fett, which is why they looked so good. Dave did the Kit Fisto and worked on the clone troopers. Disney was Told by both that one reason the SW weekends dont do good is the costumes, and fans want to see Disney quality SW costumes for SW weekend. The Han in Carbonite is complete and ready for the 501st march. Disney wants to have SW themes in all its MGM parades since they can, and Dave has gotten the ok to rebuild most of the costumes. As for the troopers, there are so many, no need to scrap all those "more comfortable flexible" costumes for more accurate finacialy and time wise. Hope to meet up with some Troopers. We should get a group pic. I have a trooper and 2 scout costumes ATM and several other prop goodies. If you are familiar with the RPF you now the kinda goodies we have "laying" around ;P I also have a Han in Carbonite I am wanting to sell ,adn since you are so close to me I can sell it to you with NO SHIPPING! $200 takes it! I was gonna eBay him Friday, but I will let you boiz/grrrlz have 1st dibs! Ill post pics no my website: www.MiSTRFiNGA.com under starwars DUH! ;P

24. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    RPF as in Replica Prop Forums?

25. MiSTRFiNGA

Apr 18, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.