main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL Star Wars Weekends

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by raiza123, Feb 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Dale, did you march opening weekend? Are you on the FL501st boards? Do you like cheese in the morning?

2. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Okay, here are my pics, heavily resized and compressed in most cases. Some are even lightened up a bit since I don't have a monster flash on my camera.

The first pic I took was at approximately 8:30am. We were let inside the park, but corralled about halfway down that main street when you enter. Look at all the people waiting to run for autographs! And the crowd was nowhere near it's maximum at that point, either. :)

I got separated from Campbell, Dale, Melanie, Walter, and Kien during the mad dash for the autograph line. For most of the dash, I was right behind Campbell, but then I lost him in the tight squeeze onto the ramp that led below. Consequently, I ended up with a standby pass for an autograph, but luckily I was still able to Anthony Daniels' hancock. Anyhoo, Dale ended up first in line (or close to it), Campbell was about 60 people behind him (maybe a bit more), I was about 100 people behind Campbell, and Melanie, Walter, and Kien were waaaaaay at the end of the line. At one point in the line I could see both Melanie and Campbell, so I snapped off a pic of both.

Afterwards, we all went to the Star Wars Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?. Campbell scouted out some choice seats, which Melanie took advantage of. Here she is trading with a Jawa. :)

We then walked around some more, checked out a couple of shops, got Fast Passes for Rock n' Rollercoaster (which RULED, BTW), and then had lunch. Here's Walter, Campbell, and Melanie buying ice cream. I have no idea why I took this picture. :p

After our adventure at Tatooine Traders, we ran into the Emperor and his Royal Guard. The Emperor obviously doesn't like his picture taken. Heh heh.

Then we hit the Interview session with Andy Secombe and Anthony Daniels. Andy was pretty funny. He slipped in and out of Watto's voice easily and had a good time with the audience. Anthony Daniels stole the show, however. He played to the audience and pretty much commanded the stage with everything he said. They even asked him a question I submitted! I asked, as a last minute joke, "What would Threepio do with a lightsaber?" He responded something to the effect of, "This is a family show, so I can't answer that." Not an exact quote, but that was the gist of it. It was a pretty good show.

Andy Secombe in the Q&A 1
    Andy Secombe in the Q&A 2
    Anthony Daniels in the Q&A 1
    Anthony Daniels in the Q&A 2

After the show, Campbell got his autographs while I waited in line and didn't get mine. We then came back to the theater for Anthony Daniels' one man show. It was amusing and he told some interesting stories regarding the production of Jedi. He even does a funny George Lucas impression. [face_laugh]

After that, I had about 30 minutes to kill before I had to be back for the trivia contest, so I made a mad dash for Anthony Daniels' final autograph session. And I'm glad I did. I had to wait about 15 minutes, but they finally let me in and I got his autograph and someone was even kind enough to take this picture for me.

Then I blew the trivia contest and we went home.

The End.

:D

I had lots of fun. Maybe next week I can manage to get some sleep before going so I'm not such a zombie during the second half of the day! :)

L8r

3. Pikaroth

Pikaroth Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2002
    Don't worry! Anthony Daniels signs 365 days a year. He will, most likely, be appearing at your local Denny's and/or Hooters this coming weekend.

Brandon

4. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Thanks for the description, crazed beatnik. It was good to relive the day thru your post.

All I can add is that I finally asked Anthony Daniels how to pronounce his name. He says it's technically pronounced with a "t" sound and not "th." This sort of thing actually interests me, you can stop reading now, I won't feel bad. Of course he mentioned it was from the Greek "anthos" which he believes did use the "th" sound. He really doesn't care because he's so used to it being pronounced both ways, but it'll be a difficult time for you to catch me saying it with the "th" sound.

By the way, I believe "anthos" means flower. Does this make anybody snicker other than me? -Campbell

5. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    Uh, no comment.

[face_whistling]

L8r

6. JediScout

JediScout Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    Snicker? Im rolling on the floor laughing. Nice pics.

Q- No, yes, and sometimes.

7. radicalray

radicalray Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2004
    Here is my week #3 report & pics:

http://www.galactichunter.com/sww04/week3.asp

Those of you attending in the coming weeks might want to check out these reports, they may help you enjoy your visit a little more.

8. chewbacca1138

chewbacca1138 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Give me any word. I can prove that it comes from greek.

Anthony:

From the greek word "anthos", which means "a toe".

SO...Anthony, a toe. There you go.

9. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
  10. Pikaroth

Pikaroth Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2002
    Someone just watched "My Big Fat Greek Wedding." A few years late, but...

Brandon

11. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Dale (and anybody else interested)- I asked one of the attendants at MGM why the crystal SWW logo is not a limited edition like the coin sets and the pin sets. She said that it was not overseen by Lucasfilm. Lucasfilm was more hands-on with the pins and coins and they were the ones who insisted such limited quantities. Perhaps the fact that there is no year prominently displayed on the piece suggests it could return during future SWW. I'd sure love to see some items return with the 2000 logo (Mickey's silhouette being sliced upwards thru the floor by a lightsaber).

12. JediScout

Apr 8, 2004
    There is a date on there. Just not too big. They will probably be at future SWW's. I thinks its something new they tried out this year. I got it and love it. Makes a nice conversation piece, lol.

13. radicalray

Apr 30, 2004
    I think you will see the Jedi Mickey plush as a regular Star Tours item, just minus the embroidery on the foot marking it for SWW.

If you look on all his tags, he is not marked as a "limited" item at all. If they only had 3000, I think they would be all gone by now.
    ?

Disney has really added a lot of merchandise of the last few years. It is getting much harder and more expensive to keep up. But the collectibles are certainly getting nicer, so I am not complaining.

14. chewbacca1138

chewbacca1138 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    For your information, I saw My Big Fat Greek Wedding when it came out, but I thought of it when the whole "anthony" coming from the greek "anthos" was brought about. Sheesh, Brandon.

Disney is too overpriced.

15. DLo

DLo Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2004
    This past weekend was the most crowded I've ever seen SW Weekends, but also the best. I got autographs from Anthony Daniels on Saturday and Sunday and I just find him to be absolutely hilarious. Of everyone who has visited the last 2 years, he has been my favorite. He makes a real effort to give people their money's worth unlike people like Peter Mayhew or Jeremy Bulloch who just treat you like a number and get you out as fast as possible. Anthony told me that he thinks everyone deserves at LEAST 1 minute of his time and he tries to make a personal connection with everyone so guests walk away with a truly memorable experience. Plus, his one man show is hilarious. His impressions of Lucas and his stories are so well told and animated, he had me laughing constantly.

Poor Andy Secombe, his lines were done in half the time Anthony's took, and cast members were allowing guests to walk in and meet him without a fast pass. I wonder if he got jealous? LOL

I'm skipping this weekend but will be back for the final weekend with Daneil Logan and Amy Allen. I'm curious to see Daniel's take on this whole thing and hear a story from him.

It's supposed to be a bit cooler this weekend, 88-90 instead of 95-97. Enjoy!

16. JediScout

Apr 8, 2004
    Anthony Daniels a nice guy? Lol too funny. The main reason he takes his time to talk to people is to make sure that theyre not putting his autograph on Ebay. I can even count the number of times I heard him ask people that. Another is that the more people he takes his time with, the less he has to sign. I was standing behind a lady and he asked her what color did she prefer, and she said what ever turns you on, he replied "well signing my name doesnt". How rude was that? And I mean come on now the bowing down during his solo show? Guess he misses that from ROTJ. Although he was impressed with my Jedi costume, and told me he wished that more people would have dressed up for this years event. He made more this weekend then some people do all year. Him 20 grand, Andy about 5 grand. Im not saying hes not a decent person, and Im not saying he doesnt like his fans, but these damn scalpers who put everything on ebay have ruined it for us TRUE fans. I think more of the actors are getting more and more pissed at ebay, and things are getting harder for the rest of us. You know what they say, one bad apple....

17. Bradleyfett

Bradleyfett Jedi Youngling

Mar 3, 2004
    I'll be out there tomorrow (June 4)- who will be there and how will I know you are Orlando System folk?

Makr

18. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    We'll be wearing red shirts. ;)

L8r

19. Bradleyfett

Bradleyfett Jedi Youngling

Mar 3, 2004
    Hehe... Maybe the Royal Guards should wear something else this weekend...

20. radicalray

Apr 30, 2004
    I am starting to hear the buzz that Jedi Mickey sold out last week. (week 3)

21. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    And I've been told that the price of the Droid pin set has been cut in half. Pretty nice for somebody who waited (me) but seems uncool to those that jumped first.

22. raiza123

raiza123 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2003
    Funny BradleyFett but haven't you heard? Shhh. I'll tell you a secret. The Royal Guards are... [face_dancing] participating in ALL of this weekends events.
    Barring any problems, Mike, Campbell and I will be there between 8:30-9am. I'm sure Dale will be there earlier (as usual). Well, whoever is going, see you there!
    Melanie :)

23. JediScout

Apr 8, 2004
    Marching in the parade is so awesome! Not to mention that I get 2 free tickets each day I march. Today was the second day and we had over 100 people in costume. I was the second Biker Scout on the right side. Will be in the same slot tomorrow. Melanie and Campbell, if you hook up with Jill she can get you the perfect spot. Hope to see you all on the sidelines tomorrow.

Good seeing you again Susan. Hope you had a blast today, I know I did.

24. Ia-Bou

Ia-Bou Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2001
    Ok im getting together a group for next sunday, the 13th anyone up for it?

25. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    We'll be there Dale. Break a leg.

Sorry I never saw you at SWW, Ia. Hope you have fun- my last day's tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.