Lou, KY Star Wars:Where Science Meets Imagination Indianapolis May 25-Sept 2 2013

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by jedimika, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Yoda_Jammies Force Ghost

star 4
    Did they have the ILM models in the exibit? if so, which ones?

[face_nail_biting]
  2. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Ja, the centerpieces were the 4 ft falcon and a big old x-wing. There was a star destroyer, a TIE fighter, the Tantive, imperial probe droid, a smaller falcon...there's more but that's what I remember off hand. Also a full size landspeeder and a model landspeeder. Do you consider medical and interogation droids models or props? They had those. Lots of props and costumes (my favorites) and educational stations since this is a museum exhibit.
  3. Yoda_Jammies Force Ghost

star 4
    Sweet!
    Yeah, the droids would be considered props not models. It is tricky though. Models are a type of prop, but a prop is considered a model if it is used on screen to represent something larger (or smaller) for a scale effect. So the four foot falcon is a model, as it is composted in the film to represent a 30 plus foot spaceship, while the Skyhopper model Luke plays with in the same movie is a prop-- as it is used on screen as a toy for Luke to play with; not as a scale effect to show Luke being 50 feet tall and able to hold a T16 Skyhopper in his hands.

I've always liked that scene in A New Hope, as it shows both Luke and I are star wars model builders!

Another way to explain it: the medical droid is a prop as it is 1/1 scale-- but the probe droid is a model (a type of prop) as it is like 10 inches but is used on screen to represent an object 6-8 feet tall.
  4. Lord_Zannah Jedi Master

star 2
  5. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Excellent, still a go for July 7 on my end.
  6. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Okay, time to start plannning for this weekend. Zannah I'm going to PM you and Evie and we can hash it out.
  7. Yoda_Jammies Force Ghost

star 4
    It was cooooooooooooooooool!
  8. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Yes it is. When you get time we expect a full report. Did you ride the Falcon? What was your favorite piece in the exhibit?

Today it was me, the Mrs, Zannah, Appo and Chris. Appo drove us in his new big boy truck. We grabbed the Bfast buffet at Golden Corral before we hit the road. We got there 15 minutes after they opened and there already was a line at the Falcon so we went ahead and got our Falcon tickets. We waited about an hour (time passed quickly and it was an awesome ride) but after we got out the wait was up to 2 hours. There were some 501st members on hand to keep things lively. We got our timed tickets for the exhibit and went right in. After trooping several times it was wonderful to get in and take pictures and watch videos and play with the interactive stuff. My favorite, aside from the costumes, was the videos. I loved hearing the behind the scenes stories of how they put everything together and Ben Burt revealing the strange things he used for all the sound effects. We finished up in the gift shop and we all left with something.

Great day. Now to start looking at another group trip for August :)
    Last edited by jedimika, Jul 7, 2013
  9. Yoda_Jammies Force Ghost

star 4
    Not too sure if I am able, yet, to write a report...... my head is still swimming with just how cool it was to be so close with the models i have studied for decades. We went up the night before, pricelined a hotel, had a nice diner-- then woke up, checked out and walked to the meseum and spent about 5 hours in the exibit. When they announced that they would close in an hour Ms Jammies suggested we look at something new.

Poor girl was a trooper-- she had hurt her knee and her foot last month, so standing and walking was painful for her.

I just was ate up with staring at the four foot falcon. Loved it! It was cool for me to identify the kit parts that they used for the model, the colors, and the decales used that do no show up on the film, or on the other models of the ship.

I also loved looking at the blockade runner. I also staired at the paintjob, and how they did certain weathering effects. That model was upgunned, and repainted for Retun of the Jedi-- so it must have been repainted for exibition by someone at Lucasfilm. Kinda sad if you ask me. Also, I was not able to see it, but the interior of the blockade runner has scale playboy pin ups.

II think my other favorites were the models from the prequals. I spent a lot of time looking at the AAT and the podracers. The paint work was far supeior than on the OT models. The weathering, for example, was very well done.

Yoda and TaunTaun puppets! So cool! The fur for the Tauntaun is actually embrionic calf fur. I shared that fact, and a lot more as i was going through the exibits. At one point, i corrected a guy, with what I tought was an inside voice but it was not.

Speeking of corections, the labels were wrong. Sure, the ship was in movies blah - blah, but the speific model was not. For example, the Tie Fighter had to have been from Empire due to the paint color. The falcon model was just used for A New Hope. The star desroyer was just used in A New Hope (maybe Empire in a long shot), and i also wonder how much repair work was done on that model? It kinda looks sad.The turrets are melted, and the back turret looks like a tank turret not a battleship's gun. The art was mislabeled too. Some of Ralph's art for the fan club or for products were labeled pre-production art, and then some joe johnston sketchs were atributed to ralph or just not atributed at all!

The x-wing has me puzzled. It is wedge's red 3, but with Luke's paint job (red 3 in A New Hope did not have the barber stripe, it did have the yellow on the fusilodge, but it also had pale green on the interior s-foils). It is also about 1/6th scale. The x-wings in the films were about 1/22. So, where did that model come from? Maybe, maybe, a shot from ROTJ or the original star tours? The work on that model is supurb-- which makes me think it was for desplay and not a film.

Also, the y-wing has me puzzled. It is 1/22 so it was used in the films, but who had a red R4 unit? None of my refernce books has a y-wing with a red R4. Maybe I don't have enough books, or maybe an r2 head broke off and someone added an R4?

While I was not at all disapointed, I did hope to see more models: the Avenger star destroyer from Empire, the super star destroyer, the a-wing, the b-wing, the tie intercepter and bomber, the x-wings from a new hope, the cloudcar, the snowspeeder, the 32inch falcon from Empire and Jedi, the sailbarge, speeder bikes, the Radiant 7 from ep 1 (exibited next to it's newer sister the Tantive 4), the imperial shuttle, vader's tie (i want to know what color it realy is!), the mon cal warships, the rebel transport, the slave frickin one, etc.

I also wished they sold the artwork, like the banner art in the shop of all 6 films.

Never made it to the falcon ride, or much else really.

Well, i guess that is my report. i loved it, and want to go back! I also want to learn more about the big x-wing and the y-wing with an r4 unit. True, i wanted to see more models, but you can't blame me for that! Nor can you blame the exibit-- only so much space, and so many models that can travel. Apparently they change out the models too, as chicago had some different models then indy. Chicago had anikans pod racer, for example.

Lets go again!
  10. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Wow! You all really went all out and made a nice trip of it. I admire Ms Jammies for hanging with it that long. One of the good things about trooping this exhibit for the 501st/RL has been being able to see everything, step away to another part of the museum when it gets overwhelming, and then come back to it with fresh eyes. Rinse and repeat as needed. Maybe next time we'll let the ladies wander the park/canal area while we check out the exhibit. I'd love to have your knowledgeable commentary as I look at the artifacts. Embrionic calf fur? I didn't know that. That's why you're the trivia king Jammies.
  11. Yoda_Jammies Force Ghost

star 4
    We got a kick out of this on-line review from tripadvisor.com:

[IMG]Reviewed June 24, 2013
    READ THIS BEFORE YOU GO!

Several issues with the Star Wars exhibit. It costs $20.00 to see the exhibit which consists of several nice pieces from the franchise but the desrciptions are weak and the models, which are amazing, don't merit the cost. I've seen models like that at Hobby Town and I didn't have to pay the fee. I understand the magic of movie making and the process of making things look more impressive than they are but for twenty dollars it isn't worth it for children. The kids want to be a part of Star Wars not look at how fake it looks.

I saw several children less than impressed with Darth Vaders costume's control panel and the fact that it looks like a block of wood.

The coolest thing at the exhibit is the chance to sit in the Falcon's cockpit, which is an addtional $5 and would be worth it if included some action from the movies but the space lesson narrated by the C3PO dude is less than enjoyable. I would rather just jump in and out of light speed for ten minutes but at least they tried.

Bottom line is, if you don't want to ruin the magic of movie making leave the kids at home or skip it all together. Besides the entire exhibit takes about 15 minutes to navigate. Spend your money at the theatre where the magic still exists.

No good Mr Lucas or whoever you sold out to. Bad form.
    Visited June 2013

Who is this guy? This is a deathstar's worth of stupid! It's like me saying, nah-- i got star wars models at home, i don't wanna pay to see these....
  12. Yoda_Jammies Force Ghost

star 4
    That sounds like a great idea Mika, and yup-- she was a trooper! I also learned ice cream is a good pain killer.

I still wonder where the big x-wing is from,or the y-wing with the r4.

So embrionic calf fur........ yup. From Lorne Peterson himself comes that tidbit, either from celebration or wonderfest--i'm thinking wonderfest. It was a hilarius story just cuz he is so deadpan, matter of fact about it. I've never read it in print.

"we tried synthetic furs, but they werent realitic at that fim speed, and the furs we had (tanned mice and squirles and such) we couldn't mold around the armatures to get the look right, like it was living fur off of a living creature and not a dead rat, so we drove out of Van Eyves looking for stockyards with pregnant cows...."

And he says this like it was just another day at the office! And he never realy finished the story, just we got some calf fur, it worked, we filmed it in GoMotion. Well, how did they get the cow in the vw bus? Did they buy the cow and grill it up, while they tanned the calf? How did that conversation go with the hippie model builder and the cattlemen?

Hi man.
    Howdey.
    Got any pregnant cows?
    Sure do pardner, got holstein heffers, got angus heffers, got a momma hurfurd over yonder dar. You fellas need veal?
    No man, snow lizards.
    (Cattleman spits his chaw)
  13. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Okay, wanted to start looking at any August dates if anyone was interested. Again, if there's a day/time that works better for you don't feel like you have to wait for everyone else. You don't want to miss this!

I'm looking at August 4, 18 or 25 for me.
  14. Lord_Zannah Jedi Master

star 2
    Mika.. we had a very good time with you guys. It was kinda nice having some one on one time. ;)

To everyone, Appo and I have seen it but we definitely want to go again.... so we bow to the needs of the group. ^:)^

Again I apologize for our absents on the boards.. things have really taken us aside the past couple of months. However I've made some changes in some areas and my life is once again my own. [face_party]

Needless to say, we loved the exhibit so much that we are Jonesing to get back up there. WOOT! Ooooooh the Milinium Falcon display is worth the trip all in it's self! [face_dancing]

I have some photos that I want to post up, but until after everyone has had a chance to see it in person. [face_batting]
  15. Lord_Zannah Jedi Master

star 2
  16. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    offff...that was not a good picture day for me :)
    Thanks Zannah!
  17. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Okay short notice but me and the Mrs will be joining 11-11 and Bulbous for a trip up to Indy this Sunday. Anyone else interested?
  18. Relin Jedi Grand Master

star 1
  19. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Excellent. Stand by.
  20. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Okay Relin I'm gonna PM you and 11-11 and we can form our plan of attack for this weekend. If anyone else is interested just post up and I'll include you in the discussion.
  21. Commander APPO Jedi Master

star 1
    Dang it all wanted to go BUT my uncle had me working anyway, maybe we'll catch the next flight.
  22. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Thanks for making the trip 11-11, Bulbous and Relin. Hope you all enjoyed it!
  23. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I was at the exhibit on it's last day yesterday to troop and say goodbye to all the artifacts ("goodbye Falcon...goodbye Xwing...sniff"). The last couple of weekends were very busy with a lot of sell outs so I'm glad we went as a group eariler in the Summer when we did. I'm told the exhibit wasn't the out of the park hit they were hoping for but they made their money back plus some extra scratch. It did comparable numbers to the Titanic and LOTR exhibits they've had. They also said the gift shop and Falcon ride really helped them get their money back.

You know I like the costumes and the Falcon but after that I think my favorites were the Tantive IV and the Ywing. There's just so much detail in those, I could stare at them for hours. When FFG puts out it's Tantive "miniature" I'll probably buy an extra just to look at.
  24. Yoda_Jammies Force Ghost

star 4
    (*sniff*)
    bye models. .....
    :(
  25. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Just a footnote...the exhibit is on its way to San Jose, CA and in a press release from the Indiana State Museum they said they recorded record numbers...

"INDIANAPOLIS - The Indiana State Museum tripled its average summer attendance record, celebrating the highest attendance summer in the history of the museum.

President and CEO Tom King announced today that the Indiana State Museum is celebrating the highest summer attendance in the history of the museum. From Memorial Day weekend (May 25) to Labor Day weekend (Sept. 2, 2013), 64,250 people visited the museum to see Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination, presented by Bose Corporation."

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/SW_Where_Science_Meets_Imagination_San_Jose_CA_154278.asp