main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA Star Wars Where Science Meets Imagination - Los Angeles Feb 11- April 29

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by kay_dee, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I don't know if I'm the only one interested in attending this exhibit when it makes it's stop in California. But the Star Wars "Where Science Meets Imagination" exhibit (with the Millenium Falcon cockpit, costumes and props from the movies) will be opening on Feb 11th at the California Science Center in LA.

This web site has lots of additional information about memberships, a preview for members on Feb 7th, Sleepovers - etc. From what I hear ther may even be some fan participation in LA, they may try to do something similar to the Fan Days at FIDM where people are able to come to the exhibit in costume. (nothing official announce yet though)

So, if the SFFF wants to plan a trip to see the exhibit it's probably worth talking about soon! I'm personally just starting to coordinate a trip down to LA to meet up with a friend who wants to see the FIDM motion picture costume exhibit taking place at the same time.

2. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I was wondering when (and who) would post this. ;) I'm definitely interested in this! I like how it says "most visitors take about an hour to go through the exhibit". Ha! Just like FIDM! [face_laugh]

3. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    I may do this as a road trip on my two days off

4. marmakecam

marmakecam Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    I really, really hope to head down there to see that. Maybe, if time (and Kelsey) permits, I'll visit my parents around my birthday and head to the exhibit while I'm in the area. There are so many cool events this year it's hard to fit them all in!

5. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    I saw this exhibit when it opened last year in Boston so i will probably skip this trip but if anyone has any questions about it, let me know. Be aware the amount of costumes and props is very limited compared to some other stuff we have seen.

6. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Yeah, I know there are only a handful of costumes. But I've never seen the Leia costume in person so I can't miss this opportunity! And if they end up coordinating fan events around the opening, that makes it all the more fun and worth while.

As of right now, I plan to go down for the opening on the 11th and meet up with some other friends who are flying in to check out both FIDM and the SW exhibit. There is a slight chance I may arrange to go to the 'members only' preview openinig on Wed the 7th. I had wanted my husband to bring his SLR down to take high res photos, and since he is scheduled to be in Orange County on business that might be the best time for him if it will be open in the evening.

7. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    As of now, I'm down for the 11th (opening day).

8. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Just got back from there... do not intend to go again for a long while...

9. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    Kathy, which Leia costume will they have? Is it the basic ANH white dress? Or something else?

And if it is I wonder if they will have the nefarious gaffer's tape on hand as well?

10. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Ever seen the City of New York vs Homer Simpson episode. That's me and LA, basically.

11. jawbreaker666

jawbreaker666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2005
    Hey guys..since I'm already down here count me in whatever day you guys go :)

12. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Well now hat you have some extra days free on you hands....[face_whistling]

13. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Hehe, I don't think the mannequin needed gaffers's tape ;) But it is the white classic ANH costume on display (If you want to get technical though, serveral of us suspect it is actually the version worn at the end of ESB. Original ANH costumes just seem to have vanished for the most part).

The StormtrooperGuy.com got a lot of great photos in Boston:

http://www.stormtrooperguy.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=158

Yes, all those shots of Leia's hem were my requests - lol!

14. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    To a non-costumer, those pics could me mistaken for someone who doesn't know how to use a camera, like when you give your grandma the camera and she takes pictures of your feet.

15. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I got the SW newsletter and it said the dates were Feb. 1 - Apr. 1st (?).

16. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Here is an update from Sunrider on the fan events (They pretty much said the more the merrier):

Here is the list of events for the California Science Center "Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination". Costumed characters are encouraged to participate but are caps on some events.

Please contact Obi-Shawn (obishawn@gmail.com) to RSVP for any of the events. Be sure to include the event date/title, your name, the costume you are wearing (or club t-shirt), and contact information (cell phone/e-mail).

Wed, Feb 7 - Member/Media Preview 6pm to 9pm

Sat, Feb 10 - Discovery Ball 6:30pm to 11:30pm

Fri, Feb 23 - Kids Overnight Camp; characters needed from 7pm to 9pm

Sat, Feb 24 - Fan Day #1 (all day)

Fri, Mar 23 - Kids Overnight Camp; characters needed from 7pm to 9pm

Sat, Mar 24 - Fan Day #2 (all day)

Also remember that there always is a need for "wranglers", so don't hesitate to volunteer even if your outfit isn't ready.

17. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    If I had to pick one day to go, it would be the 24th (Fan Day #1), since I missed the one for FIDM, which seemed like fun!

18. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Yeah, I need to double check my schedule to see if it is realistic for me to go down again for a Fan Day. Right now I think I'll be there the 7th-11th. Although, since we had plans to do other things during the day on the 10th I'm not sure I can go to the ball they are having that night. There is no way we can get dinner and be there in time with our other activities happening in the day :( Oh well, no black tie gala for us!

19. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    More details from sw.com:

http://www.starwars.com/community/event/museum/news20070115.html

20. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Have fun down there for opening weekend, Kathy. Take lotsa pics!

21. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Hm, this is certainly a tempting idea. If you guys decide to go down for Fan Day #1 (just the weekend, right?) I think I'll try to join you.

22. Dolfinz

Dolfinz Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2005
    Hey guys, long time no see!! If you guys haven't gone yet and wouldn't mind a tagalong, I've been dying to see this thing since I first hear about it!

23. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Thank you guys for letting us steal Kathy so much. We love having her down here. :D

(Can we keep her?) [face_batting] [face_batting]

24. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003

PLEASE???? (Hey, Miana...dig out the Puss In Boots for this..we need a serious "begging")

25. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999

Um, no. [face_not_talking] You're getting back at me for that 49ers post, aren't you Rachel?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.