main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA Star Wars Where Science Meets Imagination - Los Angeles Feb 11- April 29

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by kay_dee, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Hehe, aww. You know I still luv you guys.

(But seriously. We can keep Kathy, right?)

2. marmakecam

marmakecam Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    I think I'm going to be down there on Febuary 24th (fan day) and maybe again in March. If any of you happen to be heading down that day let me know!

3. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Haha! I'm glad you guys even WANT to steal me! Southern California has so many amazing Leias and Padmes already!

Wow Wow Wow - that was SO much fun! It will be a while before I can get my photos uploaded. David took over 600 photos on preview night (many duplicates I have to sift through). A few of the fans, but mostly just trying to document all the costumes and props in the exhibit.

The Discovery Ball was just amazing! The Science Center was transformed into Star Wars Party central. I wish I'd been able to take more photos. Many of us were saying that the Vader Room is what the Jabba's Palace party at C3 should have been. They had a live band and the dance floor actually had Stormtroopers, Leias, Padmes, Jedi and Count Dooku groovin' to the disco tunes. An open bar and a lounge area with fondue didn't hurt either ;)

I'll post photos in the next few days.

I'm trying to see if I can make it down to fan day on the 24th. My friend wants to take me to an Oscar nominee presentation the morning of the 24th (all the nominated editors talk about their films and they show clips from the nominated movies). By the time that lets out and we eat lunch, if traffic is bad we'd probably get to the museum just before it closes.

4. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I've posted photos from Preview Night and The Discovery Ball. It may be a while though before I can post all the exhibit photos.

http://imageevent.com/kay_dee/cscstarwarspreviewnight

http://imageevent.com/kay_dee/cscdiscoveryball

5. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Great pics as usual, Kathy. The party looked really fun (a lot more fun than the one at C3). Are you going back for either of the Fan Days?

6. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Yes, the Science Center went all out for this black tie party. We were very lucky so many fans got to volunteer - not just the core group of a few select face characters and white armor you might see at big events. We were also very lucky that we were actually encouraged to dance, drink, eat and mingle in the party 'Vader Room' after the dinner. It was a real treat!

Not sure if I can make the fan days. See my above post regarding the 24th of Feb.

7. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    So does anyone want (or can) to carpool to make it to this Saturday's Fan Day #1?

8. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Fan Day this Saturday is looking really grim for me. Between working on stuff for the WonderCon tables, plus my costumes, I don't think I have time *sob* :_|

March is kind of up in the air. Last I heard my sister-in-law wanted to visit us that weekend with our little nephew. She has not booked the flight yet though.

9. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Oy. I'd certainly like to see the exhibit, and fan day sounds like more fun than a regular day... but as has already been pointed out... weekend before WonderCon. Not only is there stuff to be done to get ready... but there's sleep to be had, to get well rested before the lack of sleep that will start on Thurs! (Rather than starting out already tired instead.) [face_plain] I dunno. I'm kinda on the fence. If I were to go, though, I'd love to carpool.

10. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Well, it looks like Fan Day #2 instead (March 24). Show of hands who'd like to go?

11. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I'd like to go in March, but my sister-in-law plans to visit us this weekend. I asked my husband to ask her if she could book her flight one week earlier (since she hasn't booked it yet). I may just e-mail her myself.

12. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I'd also like to check out the FIDM exhibit while down there, as well as check out where our hotel is for CIV.

13. Dolfinz

Dolfinz Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2005
    I would love to go, but with school I guess it would depend which weekend and how long...

14. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I was hoping to leave early Friday morning (Mar. 23), get to LA by lunchtime, and check out the FIDM exhibit and convention center. Then go the Science Exhbit for Fan Day on Saturday, and drive back Sunday.

15. Dolfinz

Sep 15, 2005
    Ack, that's the week of my spring break, and I have guests coming into town.

Hey, out of curiosity, is this exhibit going to keep touring for a while, or is it nearing an end?

16. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Well, it is nearing an end. After LA, these are the last three scheduled museum stops

# Fort Worth Museum of Science & History, Fort Worth, TX, June - August 2007
    # The Franklin Institute, Philadelphia, PA, February - April 2008
    # The Science Museum of Minnesota, St. Paul, MN, June - October 2008

17. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    The last stop should've been HERE, where the props and costumes came from! :mad: On a similar note, Dale mentioned the Exploratorium will be moving somewhere else in the city in the near future. Hmmm. With the current space left unoccupied then, and Lucasfilm being across the street.... [face_thinking]

18. BlueHarvest1138

BlueHarvest1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 24, 2003
    Found a Trip Report on a Disneyland Fan Forum:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55258

19. Dolfinz

Sep 15, 2005
    That...would be awesome.

20. Dolfinz

Sep 15, 2005
    Darn. Hopefully, Matt's on to something...

21. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    So anyone want to go for the final Fan Day on the 24th?

22. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    If any of us are still going on the 24th weekend, I now have a 95% likelyhood of getting that Friday and Saturday off, and about a 20% chance of getting that Sunday off.

23. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Wow Dale, does that mean you'd be driving back to SF Saturday night after Fan Day?

If I go, I need to visit FIDM once more, and I need to spend an afternoon in the fabric district hunting for something for a friend in desperate need. We'll have to coordinate something - but I don't think I could car pool since I do have other things I need to take care of in LA.

24. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    What I meant is that if and (hopefully) when I do get Sunday off, I just need to get back up here on Monday, so I could go to work in the early afternoon...

25. AKAI_FETT

AKAI_FETT Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2006
    my hump my hump my hump....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.